Reload this Page >

Should I take the plunge?

Should I take the plunge?

Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

simonfitba is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I take the plunge?

Righto, here's the situation.

I've just been offered a job in Cairns for $50k but the problem is it's about HALF of what I'm on in the UK for the same secure job.

They said the'd sponsor me for a 457 visa but the other big downside for me is that I won't be able to buy a house in Oz.

I've been reading these forums (thanks for all the great info) but am really undecided. It seems like a major gamble to move for less money.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I take the plunge?

Do you have a family or is there just you?. We manage to live on $56k a year, even I'd struggle with less than that but then there are 4 of us so maybe if I was single it may JUST do.

I don't think I'd chance everything for that wage and a temporary visa. Can you get any more out of them? would they consider you for a PR visa? (well if you're gonna ask you may as well ask for both )
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

StevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud ofStevenChez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonfitba

I've just been offered a job in Cairns for $50k but the problem is it's about HALF of what I'm on in the UK for the same secure job.

They said the'd sponsor me for a 457 visa but the other big downside for me is that I won't be able to buy a house in Oz.

I've been reading these forums (thanks for all the great info) but am really undecided. It seems like a major gamble to move for less money.

Do you have children? Have you researched the property market and established that you wouldn't be able to afford property in Cairns?

We have 2 small children and if the salary offer isn't enough for us to purchase in a decent suburb near decent schools and offer us the same decent standard of living, then we'd have to say the offer isn't decent enough. Simple as.

Cheryl
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:57 pm
Banned

mancity is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I went through a similar dilema, for cairns, an oil solution company, when I really pushed him, I was being taken advantage off, as there was no committment.

I applied for my own PR and got it, which meant I can dictate who I work for and on what grounds, within reason of course.

The money factor got me down, I was earning a good wage in Uk, and halfed my salary when i went to Aus, and lost alot of perks, as I joined a small business, although my salary did improve, my conditions and growth potentiol didnt, and it ate at me so much I returned to the UK for a better job.
Now I find myself missing the lifestyle incredibly, and looking for that illustrious job............

Its all a chance, but make it a calculated decision , as there are a lot of sharks in AUs, waiting for people to take advantage off.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I reckon I'll need to push for PR.

When I said I couldn't buy I house, I meant because of visa restrictions rather than purely financial. (Don't want to rent for two years).

As for the salary drop, I'm worried that if I don't like Cairns, I'll be going into work each day thinking: "I could be earning double if I was back in the UK."

Edit: BTW, I've no children and am single, plus I don't have any family Down Under.

Last edited by simonfitba; Apr 23rd 2007 at 5:45 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

$50K isn't a good wage in Aus. You can buy a new build house, need PR to buy an established home!
Personally would stick with what you have until a better offer comes along or if you have decided that Australia is where you want to live despite being worse off then go for it and see where you end up after 4 years!
Is your gamble so good luck with whatever decisions you make!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a house but need FIRB approval first.

I would not move for $50K pa.

G
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You can buy a house but need FIRB approval first.

I would not move for $50K pa.

G

Us neither, think there's a bit more round the corner!!

Good luck with it, S-j x
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:11 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, If I were in your shoes, I would stay put as $50k is too low.

Have you been over to cairns before?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice so far.

No, I've never been to Australia, let alone Cairns.

The $50k thing is the major worry for me but if by some miracle I can get them up to $70k, would it be worth it then? When you factor in cost of living what would that be the equivalent in the UK? £30k?

One more question, how easy would it be to get FIRB approval?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:37 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice so far.

No, I've never been to Australia, let alone Cairns.

The $50k thing is the major worry for me but if by some miracle I can get them up to $70k, would it be worth it then? When you factor in cost of living what would that be the equivalent in the UK? £30k?

One more question, how easy would it be to get FIRB approval?
As far as I know FIRB approval should be pretty straightforward.

I thought it was supposed to restrict you to New houses but some on here think differently.

$70K pa. sounds more realistic but you also need to check your tax position.

G
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be happy with $70k

Only thing that will affect is your medicare levy, which would increase by 1% if you didn't have medical insurance.

As a single person with no kids or other commitments, I'd consider coming for $50k. But I'd have to do a lot of research into house prices etc in the area I was going to settle. Maybe have a word with Bix, who will be able to give you some idea of living costs in Cairns.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:12 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just arrived in mellie with two kids, living in a holday park.

I start a job on moday $50k and after talking to other peeps here am counting myself lucky, coz i have a job, but am i am now really appreciating the fact we have PR. Hopefully when we're settled OH will find a job.

Just gotta find a rental, schools , car and furniture, lol,

as they say, you wont know until you've tried.

Last edited by Margaret3; Apr 24th 2007 at 2:20 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 2:55 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

We (family of four) are going to Cairns on a 457 for a wage of just under $45 (hoping this will increase a bit with unsocial hours payments). OH will (hopefully) also be working eventually once kids are settled. Although this is a low wage it's actually an increase for me as I've been getting £500 a month for 3 years as a student nurse until Jan when I qualified (we are used to being skint!).
Everybodys circumstances are different and it also depends on whether you have other money to bring with you.....I think these days a pretty substantial deposit is needed to afford a house anywhere!
If you're used to a certain lifestyle and are not used to being short of cash then I would think twice.
Ask them what else they will throw in to make the move more attractive....relocation expenses, LAFHA...
Old Apr 24th 2007, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Simon,

You should be able to manage on $50k yes, especially if you are single. Thats approximately $700 bucks net a week or more- you should be able to do it, no sweat! I was on a wage of 52k (however I was only three quarter time, so I got 3/4s of $52k and I was saving money with that. I was also single. I didn't live in Cairns, but lived in Queensland in a comprable area.

If you don't like Cairns you can always move back to the UK...you'll find another job that suits you. Take a look at my Location over there to the left.
I ´m currently temporarily in Portugal and I left a good job behind in Australia. I'm not sorry I left for a while, because life is an adventure - not a mistake!!!

I reckon do it!

Regards,
Vegemite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.