Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SHOULD I MOVE TO MELBOURNE? ANY OPINIONS?

SHOULD I MOVE TO MELBOURNE? ANY OPINIONS?

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

ditsydoris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question SHOULD I MOVE TO MELBOURNE? ANY OPINIONS?

My partner is stuck in Melbourne due to the volcano but has been using the extra time to look at moving out there. He is staying with friends who moved from London 18 months ago. He is having interviews for jobs ( informal ) this week. I am undecided. I lived abroad all my childhood due to my father's job so I am not adverse to moving about. I am interested in whether the grass is really greener? My partner is a skilled railway construction manager and so far has had very positive feedback about employment, to the extent that he has been offered sponsorship. I have lived in London for years and although it has its problems it is easy to take for granted. Europe is on your doorstep, my daughter's schools are good, transport is good ( more or less ) and where I am in London has minimal crime ( petty crime but I am not remotely concerned about walking home alone at midnight ). My neighbours are friendly and I have a good circle of friends ( albeit small ). On the downside, traffic is bad here, it is starting to feel very crowded, we could never afford a bigger house, local schools are filling up to the point that they are having 4 class intakes for the same year (and providing portacabins for the overspill), petrol has gone through the roof, we are paying over £160 a month council tax and there are no jobs. Jobs are scarce and even the supermarkets are not employing. An open day for my local Sainsburys attracted thousands. My partner has the potential to earn 30% more than he would for the same job in London. My eldest daughter loves the outdoors which is limited where we live now. We own a property ( mortgaged ) which I would never dream of selling ( increased in price 20,000 this year alone ) so would have something to come home to if it all went wrong but I am willing to commit to a life in Australia. Obviously this is all pie in the sky if we don't get visa's but I would like to get opinions on making the move to Oz and what people who have done it would suggest?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:29 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SHOULD I MOVE TO MELBOURNE? ANY OPINIONS?

Originally Posted by ditsydoris
My partner is stuck in Melbourne due to the volcano but has been using the extra time to look at moving out there. He is staying with friends who moved from London 18 months ago. He is having interviews for jobs ( informal ) this week. I am undecided. I lived abroad all my childhood due to my father's job so I am not adverse to moving about. I am interested in whether the grass is really greener? My partner is a skilled railway construction manager and so far has had very positive feedback about employment, to the extent that he has been offered sponsorship. I have lived in London for years and although it has its problems it is easy to take for granted. Europe is on your doorstep, my daughter's schools are good, transport is good ( more or less ) and where I am in London has minimal crime ( petty crime but I am not remotely concerned about walking home alone at midnight ). My neighbours are friendly and I have a good circle of friends ( albeit small ). On the downside, traffic is bad here, it is starting to feel very crowded, we could never afford a bigger house, local schools are filling up to the point that they are having 4 class intakes for the same year (and providing portacabins for the overspill), petrol has gone through the roof, we are paying over £160 a month council tax and there are no jobs. Jobs are scarce and even the supermarkets are not employing. An open day for my local Sainsburys attracted thousands. My partner has the potential to earn 30% more than he would for the same job in London. My eldest daughter loves the outdoors which is limited where we live now. We own a property ( mortgaged ) which I would never dream of selling ( increased in price 20,000 this year alone ) so would have something to come home to if it all went wrong but I am willing to commit to a life in Australia. Obviously this is all pie in the sky if we don't get visa's but I would like to get opinions on making the move to Oz and what people who have done it would suggest?
Go for a holiday and see if you like it.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 2:33 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi doris

Too many questions all at once! The best thing might be for you to use the "search" function on the pink horizontal bar above to look for relevant threads - practically all of the things you mention have been discussed at massive length, many times. Just use relevant key words - crime, melbourne, railway etc - and you're sure to find something of use.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 3:18 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Deancm
Go for a holiday and see if you like it.
Yes go a reccie trip to Melbourne, you can' rely on other peoples opinions, some will say Melbounre is great and you should move there while others will say is a dump and you should stay in London, you have to see the place for yourself.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly, you sound quite content with your lot. I would probably think long and hard about it because moving countries is probably one of the hardest things a family can do and you if don't have the passion and desire then it's all the more difficult in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love Melbourne and am glad to be here but you would really need to see and decide for yourself.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:52 am
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi doris
i was feeling very much like you. My wife was given the chance of a job in melbourne so we decided to have a holiday down there and see what it is really like.
We got back about a month ago now and all i can say is i can't wait to get down there. Melbourne is a wonderful city and the countryside further out is magnificent.
I lived in london myself for 11 years and know what you mean about the traffic. Lets just say that melbourne's traffic can't compare to london. Yes it gets busy but nowhere near the same but watch out for the trams!
As for crowds, it again was a busy city but i didn't feel it was overcrowded.
Its a multi cultural city and the people seemed freindly wherever we went.
i wouldn't say its cheap but we only had our own wages to compare against, it would appear not to be much different if we earn't australian wages.
overall we had a wonderful time in a wonderful city.
This is just my opinion which my family share. i can't wait to get over and start a new life.
good luck with whatever you decide
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

holy wall of text batman
Old Apr 26th 2010, 12:41 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Nah dont bother ...you wont like it here
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:59 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garyfish1968
hi doris
i was feeling very much like you. My wife was given the chance of a job in melbourne so we decided to have a holiday down there and see what it is really like.
We got back about a month ago now and all i can say is i can't wait to get down there. Melbourne is a wonderful city and the countryside further out is magnificent.
I lived in london myself for 11 years and know what you mean about the traffic. Lets just say that melbourne's traffic can't compare to london. Yes it gets busy but nowhere near the same but watch out for the trams!
As for crowds, it again was a busy city but i didn't feel it was overcrowded.
Its a multi cultural city and the people seemed freindly wherever we went.
i wouldn't say its cheap but we only had our own wages to compare against, it would appear not to be much different if we earn't australian wages.
overall we had a wonderful time in a wonderful city.
This is just my opinion which my family share. i can't wait to get over and start a new life.
good luck with whatever you decide
Also Once you get outside Melbourne and explore the state you will find it has plenty of really nice countryside, such as the Central Goldfields, Great ocean road, Gippsland, Wilson Prom. The snowy mountains and Grampian mountains
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:02 am
Just Joined

ditsydoris is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your opinions so far. Will be going out to Melbourne October this year and am looking forward to it. A big move ( providing visa's work out ) I know but looking forward to a new step in life. Partner is very enthusiastic so will go with his better knowledge! Awaiting his return once BA has bothered to get him home. Due 18th April. Flight booked home 5th May. What can I say about that?
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

It all depends on what you really want, on a quick reccie you tend to look at just the good side of the place and so i don't think you really get a balanced view of the place, any place. I came over on a months holiday 13 years ago and basically never went back, i love it over here, plenty to do, loads to see and the weather goes without saying, but. Are you a family person? I know people who have come over and thought that they loved it only to find after a year or two that they cant handle being that far away from the relatives. Its obviously a personal thing, but i do think you could do far far worse than live in Melbourne. Melbourne is just about to become the largest city in Australia, http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...27/2883182.htm, because its so large there are obviously loads of suburbs to look at, i suppose you have got to ask yourself what you want lifestyle wise. Being such a large place means that youve got alot of homework to do, this may help as a start http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se.../VIC/Melbourne.

Good luck

Bob
Old Apr 27th 2010, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say give it a shot, even if only for a couple of years. If you keep your house in London, whats the worst that can happen? You have a bit of an adventure and end up coming home. However it turns out it will be a great experience.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: SHOULD I MOVE TO MELBOURNE? ANY OPINIONS?

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Honestly, you sound quite content with your lot.
I would say that being content with your lot makes you a great contender for emigrating, as you will more than likely be content here too.

It's those that whinge non-stop about England that are the first to whinge non-stop about Australia once they get here.

Buzzy