Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

My visit to the UK (got back today)

My visit to the UK (got back today)

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default My visit to the UK (got back today)

we flew to the uk for a visit, first time i 4 years and my personal experience.

We landed on 29th March and picked up our hire car from there we spent the next 3 weeks travelling here an there visiting family and friends. We had some great times and we had some boring times.

My observations are the place is grey and drab and cold. Nothing appealed to be at all. I went into asda one day and it was so huge it scrared the sh*t out of me. It was busy and it took me forever to find things and then i had to spend ages deciding which brand etc and then I forgot to pack my bag. Food is generally cheaper I suppose and much wider ranges. Villages are still very pretty. Cant understand the fuss about clothes in oz being substandard, I find them all pretty much the same quality, buy cheap get cheap, pay a bit more get a bit more. Of course I had a extra suitcase for those essetials, bisto, hula hoops, mint sauce, walkers worcester sauce crispa

My return flight was of course a nightmare, we were due to fly last sunday but was cancelled, then booked for wed but again a text on tues told us cancelled, son rebooked it for this comig sunday. I was by then pulling my hair out I wanted to be home and of course so did everyone else. A bit later the air space was reopened and as we were headig to a hotel in heathrow for the next 3 days we called into Heathrow and spoke to lady at singapore airlines, she toddled off and, yes our flight had been re instated ad we were booked on it. So here I am today Friday, on my own lounge enjoying a nice brew glad to be home.

In summary, I will not be in a hurry to return.

Jo
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My visit to the UK (got back today)

Coleman's mint sauce is in our local coles if that's what you brought back. Next time you run out, just shout
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:03 am
Just Joined

garyfish1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad you liked britain so much!!!
Just got back from a trip to melbourne and now waiting for my Visa. Can't wait to get over to oz and start living a proper life with my family.
You correct about england its cold and drab and after seeing what oz has to offer i'm totally on your side.
It was nice to read your account .
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Coleman's mint sauce is in our local coles if that's what you brought back. Next time you run out, just shout
I got 3 jars thanks moneypen, probably be out of date before I use it LOL.

Jo
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, I've done that........stood there whilst the shopping is scanned.....only to find it all piled up and not in bags!!!

Love

Rudi
x
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
I got 3 jars thanks moneypen, probably be out of date before I use it LOL.

Jo
Hi Jo,
Sorry we didn't get to meet up - I was flat out the whole time I was over in Bristol - the kids had me well organised!!
I love it here - even the more run-down bits I've been in feel like home; got fantastically cheap clothes from places like Asda, which are better quality than anything I've had from Target etc. If it wasn't that I'm increasingly finding that the people I remember have moved on and I'd never fit back in with them, then I'd be moving back here.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi Jo,
Sorry we didn't get to meet up - I was flat out the whole time I was over in Bristol - the kids had me well organised!!
I love it here - even the more run-down bits I've been in feel like home; got fantastically cheap clothes from places like Asda, which are better quality than anything I've had from Target etc. If it wasn't that I'm increasingly finding that the people I remember have moved on and I'd never fit back in with them, then I'd be moving back here.
Poll guess what, you will have changed to the same degree.

I wonder if that happens to the same degree it one actually stays in England and moves to a different part. . My opinion is no. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 23rd 2010 at 12:01 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

I only stayed in oz for two weeks on holiday... couldn't get excited about the 24 flight back to manchester.

At the end of the day life is what you make it, and the grass isn't greener on the other side, but quite often the sky is bluer

Still can't wait to get back to oz to stay though

Jenny

Last edited by Coppock; Apr 23rd 2010 at 5:04 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 4:46 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Here in my parallel UK it's been very sunny with blue skies for the past 2 weeks

I appreciate that some areas of the UK are drab, grey and rundown but even so the sun has definitely been shining in the south of England for the past 2 weeks.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coppock
I only stayed in oz for two weeks on holiday... couldn't get excited about the 24 flight back to manchester.

At the end of the day life is what you make it, and the grass isn't greener on the other side, but quite often the sky is bluer

Still can't wait to get back to oz to stay though

Jenny
I like that. Very profound.

I like the bluer sky.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jo,
Thats cool, I was flat out too. Did go to Brassmills with some old friends one night and thought of you LOL. We did have lovely blue skies for the last week and it was heaven. Fantastic day out at Thorpe Park. I caught up with some school friends which was ace.

Jo
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Thats cool, I was flat out too. Did go to Brassmills with some old friends one night and thought of you LOL. We did have lovely blue skies for the last week and it was heaven. Fantastic day out at Thorpe Park. I caught up with some school friends which was ace.

Jo
I'm back up here for the weekend now, two days of gorgeous spring sunshine in the countryside
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'm back up here for the weekend now, two days of gorgeous spring sunshine in the countryside
I was pleasantly surprised to feel how warm it is since we got back. Long may it continue.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

My observations are the place is grey and drab and cold. Nothing appealed to be at all.
OMG what a generalisation of a whole country

We have beautyfull weather here in the south..over 20 degrees and blue sky and tomorrow we will pack a picnic and visit a national trust property and have a picnic in one of the fantastic gardens they have.

Last edited by eurotramp; Apr 24th 2010 at 10:34 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I was pleasantly surprised to feel how warm it is since we got back. Long may it continue.
It won't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.