Go NOW!!!
90.24%
Hold your horses.
9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Should I do it?

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:35 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: Should I do it?

Hi dex,
you obviously thought about it before and went ahead with getting the visa, so go fot it.

The only thing that you need to think about is the finance if you don't have a job lined up.

You could go on a long holiday and validate the visa, giving you up to 4 years to move out there.
During this time you could apply countless positions & save some money to move out there with, depending upon how your finances are.

Don't wast the visa, at least validate it and then see from there.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

guruanu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi dex,
I too am in the same position as you... But I made an effort to passed on my Resume and had talked with many Employment consultants.. and everyone has said that they would like to meet in person and their clients also will expect the same... So I'm collecting the contact information that I need and am planning to start in another couple of months or so... (Just wanted to save a bit more in these two months and also establish as much contacts that I possibly can..)
My suggestion would be to have some contacts established with employment agencies / Employers and GO FOR IT..
Good luck... ( Wish me too..)

Thanks
Guru
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:04 am
dex
Forum Regular

dex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm...90% say GO. I'm off to see my travel agent right away.

Thanks for all the words of wisdom. I've got all the moral support I could handle now!

Cheers,
-dex.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 1:08 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If the worst comes to the worst, and you hate it, you go back to the UK. But if you don't come over and try it you'll never know.......
Go for it!!!!!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

been there.

I'm in IT, and can safely say unless you are in some very highly sought after niche of the market then you will sit in the UK and not get a sniff of a job.

Having said that, I would be well stocked up with cash and resolve once you arrive. My experience is that the recruitment agencies are the single biggest obstacle to acquiring employment in this country. Most of the staff are not clued up and just look for buzz words (many of them are UK staff larging it up for a year or 2, and who could blame them).
I had great difficulty even getting an interview for months. I obtained my current job only after the agency had refused to put my name forward on 3 occassions. Once I got to interview and could sell myself - no problem.

Having got a job,I find, to a man my expat colleagues tell a similar tale of woe.
Bottom line in my opinion is:
1. Get out here
2. Prepare for a long slog
3. Get on temp agencies etc and at least get some + cash flow whilst you await a break, even if you have to do work you wouldn't fancy.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
been there.

I'm in IT, and can safely say unless you are in some very highly sought after niche of the market then you will sit in the UK and not get a sniff of a job.

Having said that, I would be well stocked up with cash and resolve once you arrive. My experience is that the recruitment agencies are the single biggest obstacle to acquiring employment in this country. Most of the staff are not clued up and just look for buzz words (many of them are UK staff larging it up for a year or 2, and who could blame them).
I had great difficulty even getting an interview for months. I obtained my current job only after the agency had refused to put my name forward on 3 occassions. Once I got to interview and could sell myself - no problem.

Having got a job,I find, to a man my expat colleagues tell a similar tale of woe.
Bottom line in my opinion is:
1. Get out here
2. Prepare for a long slog
3. Get on temp agencies etc and at least get some + cash flow whilst you await a break, even if you have to do work you wouldn't fancy.

I found - as you would expect - some agencies better than others. Candle were brilliant, very clued up, very professional, Michael Page were also pretty good.
My husband and I secured IT work pretty quickly - me in approx 6 weeks, him in 8.
It will also depend on what area of IT you're in (supply, demand, etc).
Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:23 am
Just Joined

LBUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I do it?

Looking for a new job is never easy and you will be putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage by being over here. Recruitment decisions are often based on a 'feeling' when interviewing face to face. I do a lot of recruitment for my company and its only when I get in front of someone do I know whether they are suitable or not, whether they will fit in.

If you have enough dosh to keep yourself going for say 6 months then do it. However if all else fails you could get a temp job or something to get some money in. It always helps to have a bit of a financial safety net when looking for work - desperation can lead to you making the wrong decision. Also, in my experience looking for work is a full-time job so if you have money in the bank you can focus on this 100% when you are there,

Hope this helps.

Lisa