Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Short Term Rental in Melbourne & Other Questions

Short Term Rental in Melbourne & Other Questions

Old Mar 12th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about
Default Short Term Rental in Melbourne & Other Questions

Hi There,

I found this site earlier today and have got SO advice from it already. Now I'm asking for some from you guys .....

Hubby and I are emigrating to Melbourne in approx 4 weeks. He has just been offered an attractive job in Dandenong which he hopes to take. We're going on an STNI visa (me, hubby and daughter - 15 months).

I have a few questions ...

1. We would like to rent something short-term (2-3 weeks) when we first arrive, relatively central to Melbourne so we can sort out things like Tax File No. drivers license etc. before we move further out. Can anyone recommend a place (self-catering)?

2. Any advice on the area around Dandenong alongside the coast - Mordialloc, Aspendale etc. As we're moving from the UK (Reading), we'd like to live in a coastal town but need facilities fo young families (schools, play groups etc.)

3. We're going to have a few days in Singapore on the way over - any advice on doing this? Where to stay? What to see on such a short visit? Etc.

Neither of us are city people but we don't want to live in the sticks either.

Any advice really would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:05 pm
Visa Granted-MT Eliza 06

gladiatorjw will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Short Term Rental in Melbourne & Other Questions

I am not sure of any areas in the Dandedong area. We are from Newbury and also on a STNi visa. We go over at easter and are staying in Geelong and hope to secure jobs etc. Good Luck with your move.

Originally Posted by Princess_atta
Hi There,

I found this site earlier today and have got SO advice from it already. Now I'm asking for some from you guys .....

Hubby and I are emigrating to Melbourne in approx 4 weeks. He has just been offered an attractive job in Dandenong which he hopes to take. We're going on an STNI visa (me, hubby and daughter - 15 months).

1. We would like to rent something short-term (2-3 weeks) when we first arrive, relatively central to Melbourne so we can sort out things like Tax File No. drivers license etc. before we move further out. Can anyone recommend a place (self-catering)?

2. Any advice on the area around Dandenong alongside the coast - Mordialloc, Aspendale etc. As we're moving from the UK (Reading), we'd like to live in a coastal town but need facilities fo young families (schools, play groups etc.)

3. We're going to have a few days in Singapore on the way over - any advice on doing this? Where to stay? What to see on such a short visit? Etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 12th 2005, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gladiatorjw
I am not sure of any areas in the Dandedong area. We are from Newbury and also on a STNi visa. We go over at easter and are staying in Geelong and hope to secure jobs etc. Good Luck with your move.
Hi
We r going STNI VIC and we are also looking at living in Geelong. When we first arrive we are gonna go to ELDORADO CARAVAN SITE, they do cabins there that sleep upto six people and very reasonably priced. You will find them thru Google.
Damian
Old Mar 12th 2005, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about

Hi Gladiator, you're just up the road from us?? You too want to leave the rat race that is the Thames Valley too huh?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:11 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I arrived here in November and like you wanted to rent somewhere short term till I got myself sorted out. I would highly recommend a place called 'The British' appartments. An ironic name considering lol, it was once a hotel/pub but has been refurbished as about 16 studio style furnished appartments.

It is on Arden Street, North Melbourne, not far from the Queen Victoria Market. Plenty of easy parking right outside although you will need to get a residents parking permit from the town hall (bout $20 for the year). Tram No 57 stops right outside the front door and takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the heart of the CBD. North Melbourne shops are a 5 minute walk away and there are all the usual amenities there, post office, banks, shops, restaurants etc.

The appartments vary in size and facilities. All are newly furnished to a very high standard, the one I had had a kitchen with microwave, two ring hob, dishwasher and fridge. Washing Machine, TV/DVD, direct dial phone line (normal phone rates not hotel prices), air conditioning and a good bathroom.

I was lucky to get a downstairs one with an outside terrace which was nice on warm evenings.

Look under 'Short Term Rentals' at http://www.dinglepartners.com.au/ for info and prices. If you are interested contact Dingles and speak to Allison, she deals with property rentals there and is extremely pleasant and helpful.

Rates are from $75 to $119 a night depending on which appartment you go for. I spent nearly a month hunting around and couldn't find anywhere better or cheaper that close to the city.

If you want any further info feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:18 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought of some more useful info relevant to your post, tax file number is easy to sort out, if you go to the ATO website you can apply online and they will post it to you in about two to three weeks.

Regarding driving licences, I studied over xmas as originally was told I had to do the written test, when I went in to Vic Roads in January was told that since 1st Jan I only need to pay the licence issue fee and they swap your full UK licence over on the spot with no test. They do put a big stamp on your UK licence to say an Aussie licence has been issued so you can't use it to get away with any naughtiness on the roads lol.

I'd definitely say get the driving licence sorted out ASAP on arrival as it is the main accepted form of ID here and makes life a lot easier.

Hope this is of some help
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:13 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Several of my clients have stayed at the Blue Gum Caravan Park in Wells Road Aspendale .
They have self contained cabins for $350 pw + linen .
The cabins have everything you need TV shower, cooking and fridge .
It will take you about 15 mins to drive to Dandenong .
Mentone, Mordialloc, Parkdale, and the other beach suburbs are a great place to live and again are all about 15mins drive to D'nong .
You can contact the park at [email protected]

Remember Melbourne help provides a range of settlement assistance and a brochure is available by em to Melhelp

Originally Posted by Princess_atta
Hi There,

Thanks in advance.