Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

advice please concerning son

advice please concerning son

Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all
Default advice please concerning son

would really appreciate your opinions & advice, we have been here 18 months now on a pm visa, our 18 yr old son wants to go off travelling with his aussie mates bck to uk & also other parts of europe to see family , we dont really want him to go yet but u know how head strong boys can be , we think it would be much better if he would wait untill sep when we can become citizens , can any of u see any problems ahead of him ? would he be able to get bck into oz ok , think he wants to go for about a yr . many thaks
debs x
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice please concerning son

Originally Posted by debreeve
would really appreciate your opinions & advice, we have been here 18 months now on a pm visa, our 18 yr old son wants to go off travelling with his aussie mates bck to uk & also other parts of europe to see family , we dont really want him to go yet but u know how head strong boys can be , we think it would be much better if he would wait untill sep when we can become citizens , can any of u see any problems ahead of him ? would he be able to get bck into oz ok , think he wants to go for about a yr . many thaks
debs x
If you can get him to wait, by which and anyway, it will be far better for your peace of mind, and for him to come back. My 20 year old Daughter is supposedly off to the UK, to further her career prospects, and take advantage of far higher white collar wages, that one gets there. Trouble is she is too busy enjoying herself here, spending what savings she manages to make, to actually be able to afford to go, and sustain herself, for at least 6 weeks, before she finds a selfsustaining job. (I told her she needs at least 3,000 bucks, plus her airfare) She has only ever visited england once as a youngster. So as she was born here and is basically an Aussie with an Aussie mother, English dad with a Uk and Aussie passport.

All you can do is expound the benefits of being a Dual National, which will not seem much to an 18 year old I guess. The other problem you have, Britain and Europe are bound to be more exciting for a single youngster than Aussie will ever be. I wouldnt be suprised, if I didn't see my daughter for at least 5 years, unless she hates the place, I've heard of Young aussies going there with plans to stay, coming back within 4 weeks, but that would a very small miniority.

One question, How can your Son afford to go, when my Daugher who lives at home, earns about 32,000 grand per year, Cant raise the funds, because she is too busy living it up, going out, buying clothes, and spending money on her car etc ? Something in this last paragraph, could be your stalling card. I'm not funding her to go, thats for sure. She is an adult.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
If you can get him to wait, by which and anyway, it will be far better for your peace of mind, and for him to come back. My 20 year old Daughter is supposedly off to the UK, to further her career prospects, and take advantage of far higher white collar wages, that one gets there. Trouble is she is too busy enjoying herself here, spending what savings she manages to make, to actually be able to afford to go, and sustain herself, for at least 6 weeks, before she finds a selfsustaining job. (I told her she needs at least 3,000 bucks, plus her airfare) She has only ever visited england once as a youngster. So as she was born here and is basically an Aussie with an Aussie mother, English dad with a Uk and Aussie passport.

All you can do is expound the benefits of being a Dual National, which will not seem much to an 18 year old I guess. The other problem you have, Britain and Europe are bound to be more exciting for a single youngster than Aussie will ever be. I wouldnt be suprised, if I didn't see my daughter for at least 5 years, unless she hates the place, I've heard of Young aussies going there with plans to stay, coming back within 4 weeks, but that would a very small miniority.

One question, How can your Son afford to go, when my Daugher who lives at home, earns about 32,000 grand per year, Cant raise the funds, because she is too busy living it up, going out, buying clothes, and spending money on her car etc ? Something in this last paragraph, could be your stalling card. I'm not funding her to go, thats for sure. She is an adult.
ha ha , he cant aford to go ,like your daughter he is always out on the town in mooloolaba and also spending money on car , he is trying to sell it now to fund his trip !!!!!! , i dont know why he dont go round oz first as i know which i would rather do , but i think he kinda wants to play the host for his aussie friends & show them around , & we will not be loaning him any money no way . if he does go im going to insist he gots a return ticket .
many thanks for replying .
all the best with your daughter .
debs x
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Not that many youngsters, have 5,000 bucks available, which would have to be the minmium one would need, IE: airfares, and passport, (new clothes maybe, although thats probably a girl thing) and spending money. After he has sold his car, and paid it off, (assuming he hasn't paid it off and it's under finance) would he have 5,000 ? If not then your safe eh

Re going around Aussie, a much safer option, and probably one that will make him really appreciate this country, and its regional differences. Point him at Sydney,and its big city lights, also tell him, That Melbourne, really is the night club/and sporting capitol of Aussie, Blimey fancy going o'seas without seeing the MCG lol

Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2005, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

debs x
Ours (son 19) has been going back for a year now but always manages to cancel at the last minute due to some unmissable event. If hes anything like ours it will be ages before he gets organised/funds, or the people hes going with get organised/funds.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:07 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I told her she needs at least 3,000 bucks, plus her airfare.
She`ll need at least double that amount in spending money.

I moved to the UK when I was 25 with $2,000 and I would have been lucky if it had lasted me 2 weeks, as you have to pay a fair bit of deposit on a bedroom in a shared house, plus all the food/elec/phone/transport/etc etc.

Luckily I had a friend who helped me get a decent job in London in my first 2 weeks.

If anyone is staying with relatives in the UK, and paying them board.... DON`T tell the DSS that you are related, as they won`t give you anything to the rent. My girlfriend/now wife, found that out the hard way. She had £2 a week to live on after board/food/petrol.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stormz
She`ll need at least double that amount in spending money.

I moved to the UK when I was 25 with $2,000 and I would have been lucky if it had lasted me 2 weeks, as you have to pay a fair bit of deposit on a bedroom in a shared house, plus all the food/elec/phone/transport/etc etc.

Luckily I had a friend who helped me get a decent job in London in my first 2 weeks.

If anyone is staying with relatives in the UK, and paying them board.... DON`T tell the DSS that you are related, as they won`t give you anything to the rent. My girlfriend/now wife, found that out the hard way. She had £2 a week to live on after board/food/petrol.
Ahhh my daughter has a Plethora of cousins, aunts and uncles and even grandparents to stay with, (although the grandparents abode in Prestatyn probably wont suit her) She only has to pay for food etc. However thanks for the warning. I'm dreading how much my holiday is going to cost, in a couple of months.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

debs x
Deb, from a visa point of view, he should have no problems getting back to Oz, so long as he returns withint the 5 year validity of the original PR visa. However, if he gets a job and 'settles down' back ion the UK or Europe, it coulde cause him complications later on. Though I think with his family still in Oz, he could probably convince DIMIA of family ties if it ever came to that.
Taking out citizenship will eliminate the doubt fully, if he can wait that long.
Old Mar 13th 2005, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

aussieant is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi debreeve,

Its been a while since seeing A New Life Down Under.

just wondering how you and your family are getting on out there?
Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:54 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aussieant
Hi debreeve,

Me too, we have 2 sons aged 14 and 17 and are hoping to migrate to the
Gold Coast/Brisbane this year. Very concerned that this is a bad age for
them. How did yours settle?

Tracey x
Old Mar 13th 2005, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aussieant
Hi debreeve,

ok i guess its about time i told u all how the last 18 months have been for us as so many have asked . im now going to do a new post for all those who care can see . xxxxxxxx debs