Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shopping and facilities in Darwin

shopping and facilities in Darwin

Old Dec 10th 2008, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

madmunky79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shopping and facilities in Darwin

Hello there everyone, can I ask for some help. I am now in the process of moving to Darwin in April and am just wondering if anyone could pass on any info regarding shops and such. My missis wants to know if she needs to stock up on shoes and such before hand. Any excuse for shopping me thinks. And if anyone can tell me how far away the central business district is away from the airport.
Thankyou from the madmunky
Old Dec 10th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shopping and facilities in Darwin

She will find it difficult to buy shoes in Darwin that are similar to the European ones, but I wonder if she would really need them there. You will have a very different lifestyle and to be successful you both need to start afresh, so much will be very different. I've giving this a lot of though but think it would be kinder to tell you that Darwin is probably one of the hardest places to start off in Australia, if you throw yourselves into it and try live like Ockers and not Poms you can be very successful here. Best of luck, hope all goes well for you.

I'll leave the other answers for someone else, it is a few years since I was last in Darwin.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
She will find it difficult to buy shoes in Darwin that are similar to the European ones, but I wonder if she would really need them there. You will have a very different lifestyle and to be successful you both need to start afresh, so much will be very different. I've giving this a lot of though but think it would be kinder to tell you that Darwin is probably one of the hardest places to start off in Australia, if you throw yourselves into it and try live like Ockers and not Poms you can be very successful here. Best of luck, hope all goes well for you.

I'll leave the other answers for someone else, it is a few years since I was last in Darwin.
Actually Darwin is the easiest place to start off in Australia in my experience and I have been here almost 2 years. The airport is right in the middle and it takes less that 15 minutes to get to the shopping center in casurina. In addition if your wife is really into shopping then Singapore is 4 hours away and will only cost you $400 return. In singapore you will have a shopping experience that no other city in Australia can provide.
Old Dec 12th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

As Discovery says, Darwin is OK for shopping - it must be, my wife manages to spend most of her time doing it!!

But seriously, Casuarina Square (it has a website - -google it!)) is enough to occupy avid shoppers for a few hours, then you have the shops all along the Staurt highway and also Homemaker Village.

Trust me, she'll be 'right!