Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shopping budget and places for Family 2+2

Shopping budget and places for Family 2+2

Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

gabby_cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shopping budget and places for Family 2+2

Can anybody advise on places to shop for clothes in Sydney so that I can budget for a move to Sydney from the UK. Looking at the budget end and not designer.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shopping budget and places for Family 2+2

Originally Posted by gabby_cat
Can anybody advise on places to shop for clothes in Sydney so that I can budget for a move to Sydney from the UK. Looking at the budget end and not designer.
Sorry for seeming thick, but I don't really get what you are asking?! Are you basing your whole moving budget on the price of clothes?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

You're allowed to bring clothes with you these days, it's all very modern.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Brisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to beholdBrisneyland is a splendid one to behold

Bugger, got the sarcastic opening line in and it went. I was going to add something a bit more helpful.....

Have a look on-line for Target, UK equivalent would be maybe BHS and also Kmart and BigW do clothes. Kmart and BigW would be the equivalent of UK supermarket stuff ASDA and Tesco as the supermarkets don't seem to do clothes here. Yet.

Clothes here are a bit more expensive than the UK I would say. It's all made in China so you'd think it would be cheaper but the economies of scale seem to put paid to that. On the plus side you wont need a wardrobe for 4 seasons.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
I heard a rumour that you can actually buy clothes online and have them delivered here! I think it's all lies though

Serious answer to the OP:

Take a look online at Target, BigW and KMart - low end stuff. There's also Millers , Crossroads and loads more. Search Google for 'clothes Sydney'
Old Dec 16th 2011, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Shopping budget and places for Family 2+2

Originally Posted by Brisneyland
So all I need to do is stop my kids from growing and we'll be set!!

Reason for asking is we've been shocked by the costs we've been told about for living in Sydney and we're trying figure out the real costs. Thanks for the replies, will have a look.
Old Dec 16th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

As a matter of interest - i have bought the exact same shoes (different colours) in Target & Next and a friend found a debenhams dress in big w.. So probably slightly better quality than previous poster suggested

I mainly shop Online from uk - next boden m&s
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

What's the postage rates like if you shop on line?
Old Dec 16th 2011, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

What's the postage rates like if you shop on line?
Postage varies. As does the price of clothes in shops. The main cost you should concern yourself about if you are coming to live in Sydney is the price of housing. The rest is swings and roundabouts and so long as salary is about 2.2 or more than the UK GBP salary it will be absolutely fine.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

shussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really niceshussel is just really nice

Hi,
Just to agree with other responses...we moved to Sydney with two children and we buy cheaper (but perfectly acceptable) clothing in Big W and Target. We sometimes go to Myer for international brands but it's pricey unless they have a sale. Other children's clothing stores are Cotton On and Pumpkin Patch. They also have Mothercare here, in Kids Central stores near us.

To get UK clothing delivered to Aus you pay around £7.50 - £15 for delivery.

Also agree that your biggest cost will be housing but after that grocery shopping, we spend far more here than we did in the UK and still have to shop around to keep the cost down.

Good luck with your plans!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:44 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

We use Target/Big W/KMart.....think George at Asda and you get the idea....although George at Asda is better quality IMO. Costs are difficult to explain, depends on need and taste.
Our biggest cost drivers are rent, utilities and food...in that order. Utilities are high here and increasing all the time. Rent is purely location and demographic dependant and will be your biggest concern. Food is more expensive then UK unless you get the hang of seasonal foods and meals, then it gets a bit better.
Without getting into your personal circumstances, if your family will be earning 100k plus than you will be fine as long as you have no massive UK financial liabilities to keep going. Lower than 100k then you may start to feel the pinch but again this is demographic dependant, I can guarentee that there are some expats that have come over and are living quite happily on 50-70k, but I couldn't do it. That doesn't mean I have grand tastes, I do have liabilities in UK (well, until March next year then woohoo!!) but OH is a stay at home mum and as a Temp Resident we have to pay school fees.
If you are really counting the pennies then think twice about coming, the last thing you want in a new country is to be under the cosh with your finances as it will only cause friction and unhappiness.