Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:35 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light
Angry Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

I went to to well know shops in my area today to pick up a few bits. In the first the lady behind the till spent the whole of my transaction talking to her friend about Carl and the police. She kept saying that she wouldn't speak to him. By the end of the transaction I was so fed up I said, 'I know how Carl feels, you haven't spoken to me either'.
I then went to a very well known supermarket and was treated the same. This time the clerk knew the person behind me and started chatting to her as soon as she got near enough. Not once did she greet me or even acknowledge my presence. I gave her my card and wanted some cash back. Usually they ask you, but she was too busy chatting so didn't ask. When I dared to ask whether she could give me some cash back I was told I should have asked sooner. Gobsmacked, or what!!!
My response, "I didn't want to be so rude and interupt your conversation because you are obviously here to chat to your friends and not serve customers."
Are people in the service industry rude like this everywhere or just where I live?
Sarah
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:41 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Originally Posted by teach
I went to to well know shops in my area today to pick up a few bits. In the first the lady behind the till spent the whole of my transaction talking to her friend about Carl and the police. She kept saying that she wouldn't speak to him. By the end of the transaction I was so fed up I said, 'I know how Carl feels, you haven't spoken to me either'.
I then went to a very well known supermarket and was treated the same. This time the clerk knew the person behind me and started chatting to her as soon as she got near enough. Not once did she greet me or even acknowledge my presence. I gave her my card and wanted some cash back. Usually they ask you, but she was too busy chatting so didn't ask. When I dared to ask whether she could give me some cash back I was told I should have asked sooner. Gobsmacked, or what!!!
My response, "I didn't want to be so rude and interupt your conversation because you are obviously here to chat to your friends and not serve customers."
Are people in the service industry rude like this everywhere or just where I live?
Sarah

Maybe you should move to OZ
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:44 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fraser
Maybe you should move to OZ
, get someone to buy my house and I will!
Sarah
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:45 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah - you are having a bad day aren't you, what with the water bed and all!

Sending some karma to help on all fronts!

Binbird
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:57 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs M works in a shop and she says her customers are ignorant and rude

Sounds like you've had a bad day though, they're not all like that!
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:00 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Originally Posted by binbird
Sarah - you are having a bad day aren't you, what with the water bed and all!

Sending some karma to help on all fronts!

Binbird
Cheers Binbird,
Don't forget the speeding ticket that's not mine, Been trying to get in touch with the scoundrel and he's not answering his phone. Hopefully the photo will prove it wasn't me.
Sarah
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:00 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore

The thing is Wayne Mrs M and her ilk are getting Moore and Moore of a rarity.

Did you see what i did there
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:01 pm
Loving it in Bundy

If I went into Mrs M's shop I'd be polite. My mum says a smile doesn't cost you anything,
Sarah
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:01 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
The thing is Wayne Mrs M and her ilk are getting Moore and Moore of a rarity.

Did you see what i did there
Er ... OK ...
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:02 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah
Try going to B&Q and ordering something that isnt actualy on the shelves and wait for the next three to four months of your life to be a living hell, im only going to oz so that i can get as far as is humanly possible to get away from B& bloody Q

Oooooooo i feel so much better for that

Nev.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:02 pm

Er ... OK ...

I should go into PR
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:03 pm
What's happening dudes?

If I went into Mrs M's shop I'd be polite. My mum says a smile doesn't cost you anything,
Sarah
Your mum is right too.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:17 pm

Your mum is right too.

You just get used to it over here. But when you've been away for 5 weeks and come back it smacks you right around the face until you get used to it again............

Now where's that bloody visa
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:33 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice

I first went to Aus with hubby about 10 years ago - he still tells the story of how I went in and out of all the shops just so that people would smile and ask me how I was, and then tell me to have a nice day!!! When (& if) we finally get there I may just set up camp in a shopping centre and have people be nice to me all day!

Here, I can't get anyone, in any company, to even speak to me without the hideous "press 1 for...." and even then you're obviously interrupting a really good gossip....

My worst experience lately was MacDonald's - my son wanted a blue balloon and asked so nicely - he got one too... but no eye contact, no smile... no NOTHING!

And no offence to all you builders out there - I didn't mind that so many of you didn't want to do my garage conversion - I understand that you are busy and am genuinely glad for your good fortune... but couldn't you at least let me know that you couldn't be ARSED to quote.... especially as I see several of you in the playground at school pick-up time every day!!!!?????

OOOh - sorry... quick rant. feel better now. will go and lie down. thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well known supermarket in Brisbane last week - the checkout twit took 15 minutes to serve one customer - not talking to anyone, not even looking at anyone he served, 15 minutes was devoted to trying to put the poxy little carrier bags on their little hooks and get them to stay there. I'd have said something sarcastic, but its lost on them here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.