Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:01 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Originally Posted by spalen
Yes they were with us, manager was stood next to him and said nothing!
Incredible <shaking head in amazement>

Thing is..usually it's such a shock....you can't think of what to say until you've got home and thought about it. Almost unreal

Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:04 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Incredible <shaking head in amazement>

Thing is..usually it's such a shock....you can't think of what to say until you've got home and thought about it. Almost unreal
We were going to complain, did there and then but we were flying out the next day so we were really busy, cant imagine anyone here saying anything like that.

The other day though a sales assistant did tell my 6 year old off for not saying thankyou...dont think thats anything to complain about tho!

spalens wife
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:08 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they were with us, manager was stood next to him and said nothing!

Serves you right for feeding your kids crap
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:16 am
Phoenixuk2oz

We were going to complain, did there and then but we were flying out the next day so we were really busy, cant imagine anyone here saying anything like that.

The other day though a sales assistant did tell my 6 year old off for not saying thankyou...dont think thats anything to complain about tho!

spalens wife
No me neither. They might think it...but can't imagine assistants saying it here.

We noticed at my sons school here in Aus that manners were second to none between pupil/teacher and vice versa. Think it's instilled more here as son went to a good school in UK but lack of manners between pupils and teachers seemed to be the norm [wonder if it was the stress of UK living ]

Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:29 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Serves you right for feeding your kids crap
Food was for us!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 9:31 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Food was for us!!!!
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:26 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teach
I went to to well know shops in my area today to pick up a few bits. In the first the lady behind the till spent the whole of my transaction talking to her friend about Carl and the police. She kept saying that she wouldn't speak to him. By the end of the transaction I was so fed up I said, 'I know how Carl feels, you haven't spoken to me either'.
I then went to a very well known supermarket and was treated the same. This time the clerk knew the person behind me and started chatting to her as soon as she got near enough. Not once did she greet me or even acknowledge my presence. I gave her my card and wanted some cash back. Usually they ask you, but she was too busy chatting so didn't ask. When I dared to ask whether she could give me some cash back I was told I should have asked sooner. Gobsmacked, or what!!!
My response, "I didn't want to be so rude and interupt your conversation because you are obviously here to chat to your friends and not serve customers."
Are people in the service industry rude like this everywhere or just where I live?
Sarah
Can get crappy service anywhere. The other thing I hate is when they put on a big false cheesy grin and ask "how are you today"

When I worked in retail I would try to keep the flow of interaction natural. Like i wouldnt do a fale smile, but would casually ask " Hi how ya doing?"
Old Apr 4th 2005, 1:29 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alison & John
Hi Sarah & Andrew,

I live in Newport as well and I agree every shop you go in they are so rude, they don't even bother to look at you when they take your money.

When are you leaving for Oz.

Alison
Hi Alison,
As soon as we can sell our b****y house. I used to love this house but everyday that goes by makes me hate it a little bit more.
Sarah
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:05 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

I went to to well know shops in my area today to pick up a few bits. In the first the lady behind the till spent the whole of my transaction talking to her friend about Carl and the police. She kept saying that she wouldn't speak to him. By the end of the transaction I was so fed up I said, 'I know how Carl feels, you haven't spoken to me either'.
I then went to a very well known supermarket and was treated the same. This time the clerk knew the person behind me and started chatting to her as soon as she got near enough. Not once did she greet me or even acknowledge my presence. I gave her my card and wanted some cash back. Usually they ask you, but she was too busy chatting so didn't ask. When I dared to ask whether she could give me some cash back I was told I should have asked sooner. Gobsmacked, or what!!!
My response, "I didn't want to be so rude and interupt your conversation because you are obviously here to chat to your friends and not serve customers."
Are people in the service industry rude like this everywhere or just where I live?
Sarah
Sarah

I know EXACTLY what you mean......... every time I go to Australia I comment to my Mum how different the shop assistants are in the UK...

I love it in Aus how they ask you how you are & actually speak to you!

Claire
x
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Alison & John is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Are shop assistants this rude where you live?

Hi Alison,
As soon as we can sell our b****y house. I used to love this house but everyday that goes by makes me hate it a little bit more.
Sarah
Hi Sarah,

You lucky thing, I wish we were as far ahead as you.

Hope you sell your house soon, in the spring the housing market usually picks up, so fingers crossed.

Alison
Old Apr 4th 2005, 2:18 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

We live in Surrey, and whilst my home town of Godalming is quite friendly (for the South anyway). Nearby Guildford is awful, people often don't make eye contact when they're serving you.

I'm from the North West and naturally friendly, but I was taken by surprise when I moved down here 7 years ago. I won't be missing this when moving to Perth.

Sarah
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:19 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You should do what I did in "Claire's Accessories". Queued by behind some girl at the counter and after a few minutes realised she wasn't buying, she was another "assistant" Her and the girl behind the counter were having a long chat. Eventually I asked, politely if either of them could serve me, they looked confused and then continued talking so I threw the stuff I wanted to buy at them, told them they were crap assistants and stormed out. Unfortunately on the way I unavoidably crashed in to one of their displays and sent several hundred hair ties etc flying. I then told them that as they had nothing better to do, they could pick that lot up.

Really childish but by god I felt better
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The prices marked will be more expensive on places that may offer better service. Most of these place will price match but that involves researching prices. I am sure you can work it out.
Yeah I can just see myself arguing about the prices of products at the checkout

Jeez,
JTL
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:06 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You should do what I did in "Claire's Accessories". Queued by behind some girl at the counter and after a few minutes realised she wasn't buying, she was another "assistant" Her and the girl behind the counter were having a long chat. Eventually I asked, politely if either of them could serve me, they looked confused and then continued talking so I threw the stuff I wanted to buy at them, told them they were crap assistants and stormed out. Unfortunately on the way I unavoidably crashed in to one of their displays and sent several hundred hair ties etc flying. I then told them that as they had nothing better to do, they could pick that lot up.

Really childish but by god I felt better
I like your style moneypen20. Wish I had the nerve to say something like that. I usually spend the rest of the day thinking about all the things I could have said.
Sarah

Last edited by teach; Apr 4th 2005 at 5:17 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 4th 2005, 5:07 pm
Loving it in Bundy

Originally Posted by Alison & John
Hi Sarah,

You lucky thing, I wish we were as far ahead as you.

Hope you sell your house soon, in the spring the housing market usually picks up, so fingers crossed.

Alison
Have you been at it long? It's amazing how quickly the time goes. We decided to emigrate in August 2003, but it took us until Sept 2004 to have everything ready to lodge. The time just flew by, I'm sure it will do so for you too.
Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.