Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shock at the dentists!!

Wikiposts

Shock at the dentists!!

Old May 15th 2005, 8:33 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shock at the dentists!!

Originally Posted by ptlabs
madsad,

Not meaning to be pedantic, but my understanding is that Medicare does not cover dental treatments. Were you referring to your private health fund?

Peter

Hi Peter,
We dont have any private health fund.It was the dentist who said the only part of the cost we could claim from medicare was the aneasthetic fee $500

Donna.
Old May 15th 2005, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

My daughter needs a brace (thumb sucking to blame). Our consultation appointment will cost $79. I have been warned the cost of her total treatment could be anything up to $5000!!! Wondering if she'll forgive me if I let her grow up goofy.
Rachel
Old May 15th 2005, 10:08 pm
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi Donna,

God I bet that was a shock!!!!

Poor Louise, I hope it won't be painful for her when the anaethetic wears off!! Oh love her!!!

And poor you - literally after you've paid for all that!!!!

We don't have any private health care either and I think young shecha may need a bit of dental treatment - so I should look into this.

Shell
xxx

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi Everyone,

My youngest daughter(3)had been referred to the Dental Hospital in the city,her appointment was today,Consultation Fee-$50.

Louise has been on medication for bowel problems since she was a month old & the medication has caused bad tooth decay.

Anyway we have to take her back on the 1st June for treatment,she needs to have a general anaesthetic for treatment consisting of x-rays,crowns,front teeth capped,teeth removed,flouride application, (+anaesthetic cost & theatre fee.)

Estimated cost $2768.00 :scared:

Glad hubby was sitting down when he was told the cost !!

We were told we can only claim so much of the $500 anaesthetic cost back from medicare.

A soon to be skint Mrs Madsad
Old May 15th 2005, 10:11 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

My 10 year old son has just been referred to the Orthodontist, he has major over-crowding and needs them sorted. Dreading when we get to Oz and he'll probably need a brace, can see my dream home disappearing because of his teeth. We'll probably sort his chops out and then my Daughter will need hers doing. Think I should give up now and tell the dentist to just whip them all out

Jo
Old May 15th 2005, 10:18 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Hi Logan,

It couldnt be any worse than the toothache shes endured over the past couple of months ,my only concern is the fact she will be put to sleep for 2hours for the treatment,it seems such a long time.

Donna.
Hi Donna

My Daughter has been put to sleep three times, cos she was born with club feet and has needed surgery. Its not a nice experience and Ive cried my eyes out each time, but you know they're in safe hands. Its such a relief when they come round and you can give them a huge hug.

Sending you some Karma, when is your Daughter having her teeth sorted?

Jo
Old May 15th 2005, 10:34 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

My youngest daughter(3)had been referred to the Dental Hospital in the city,her appointment was today,Consultation Fee-$50.

Louise has been on medication for bowel problems since she was a month old & the medication has caused bad tooth decay.

Anyway we have to take her back on the 1st June for treatment,she needs to have a general anaesthetic for treatment consisting of x-rays,crowns,front teeth capped,teeth removed,flouride application, (+anaesthetic cost & theatre fee.)

We were told we can only claim so much of the $500 anaesthetic cost back from medicare.

OH MY GOD how scary is that, gonna start brushing my kids teeth for them even though they are 9 and 11. Lots of luck to little madsad.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:37 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joanne
Hi Donna

My Daughter has been put to sleep three times, cos she was born with club feet and has needed surgery. Its not a nice experience and Ive cried my eyes out each time, but you know they're in safe hands. Its such a relief when they come round and you can give them a huge hug.

Sending you some Karma, when is your Daughter having her teeth sorted?

Jo

Hi Joanne,
Loui is having all her treatment done on 1st June,to be at the Dental Hospital for 9.30am.

Donna.
Old May 15th 2005, 10:47 pm
crazy, sexy,cool member

Jessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Rabbit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone,

Hi, Oh No!!!!!! Poor You, that is a real pain in the ....... tooth. I hope your daughter and your pockets will be ok .

Sending you some much needed Karma
Jessica Rabbit
Old May 15th 2005, 10:50 pm
Mount Eliza

Hi Joanne,
Loui is having all her treatment done on 1st June,to be at the Dental Hospital for 9.30am.

Donna.
At least after that, she hopefully wont be in any more pain with toothache. The only pain will be to your wallet!

Jo
Old May 16th 2005, 8:15 am
blossom

Poor little one! Oh and don't forget the cost of the tooth fairy!

Whilst on the subject, although you can only claim from medicare in respect of the aneasthetist, if you have private medical cover, you should be able to make a claim against the other treatment.

I've just recently spent over £200 on periodontal work - my teeth are supposedly fine, its my gums that are the problem (comes with old age I guess). Well several weeks later and emergency visits to the dentist with excruciating toothache pain, he finally removed one tooth which cost me £30 (I have dental cover so only pay 50%). However, I know I am going to have to go back again very soon as still getting pain from another tooth (sorry not the tooth but the gums!!), so that will be at least another £30. Maybe its time I looked at having the lot out in one go - trouble is dentists hardly ever do that these days, as once they're out there is no more income for them!

Oh well cyberhugs for little madsad, and karma for Mr Madsad's wallet.

Blossom

Old May 16th 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by blossom
Poor little one! Oh and don't forget the cost of the tooth fairy!

Whilst on the subject, although you can only claim from medicare in respect of the aneasthetist, if you have private medical cover, you should be able to make a claim against the other treatment.

I've just recently spent over £200 on periodontal work - my teeth are supposedly fine, its my gums that are the problem (comes with old age I guess). Well several weeks later and emergency visits to the dentist with excruciating toothache pain, he finally removed one tooth which cost me £30 (I have dental cover so only pay 50%). However, I know I am going to have to go back again very soon as still getting pain from another tooth (sorry not the tooth but the gums!!), so that will be at least another £30. Maybe its time I looked at having the lot out in one go - trouble is dentists hardly ever do that these days, as once they're out there is no more income for them!

Oh well cyberhugs for little madsad, and karma for Mr Madsad's wallet.

Blossom
Hi

Is there anywhere on the web where i can find out info about private dental care?
Old May 16th 2005, 6:54 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

www.hfc.com.au will give you an idea of policy for dental cover, they're all pretty similar.

Donna - Isnt there a tax rebate for excessive Medicare costs in a single year - I think over $1,500 you start geting tax reduction I vaguely remember it to be 20% of the excess over $1,500.... Also ... Isnt there a secondary medicare - the 'buffer' that the politicos are arguing over - I think that also will help ?... Ask at he medicare shop - tehy have a plethora of leaflets on it. I dont know how it affects Dental but these two things do apply - I would expect them to apply to dental too .

Good luck!.
Old May 16th 2005, 7:00 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PommieLeague
Seems the medical industry here out bent on ripping everyone off as it has the monopoly! $35 just to see a Doc is a joke!

Think yourself lucky you don't live regional $55 to $90 round here for a standard appt depending on how the DR feels, further north up to $120.

No bulk billing in Geraldton at all, I cant remember what can be claimed back but I think it was about $32, I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong

Kala
Old May 16th 2005, 7:58 pm
blossom

Originally Posted by tabby
Hi

Is there anywhere on the web where i can find out info about private dental care?
Do you mean in UK or Oz?

In the UK, I think most dentists will sign you up to their dental plan, I pay £8 per month and get 50% reduction on treatment. My dentist offered the scheme to me, and I must say it is worth it. There are no NHS dentists in our area so have to go private anyway and the dental plan really is worth it, especially if you know you are going to need a fair amount of work doing.

In Oz, as other poster has advised, most private medical funds will cover for dental treatment.

Blossom
Hope this helps.

Old May 16th 2005, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Agh, what an awful shock, I hope your daughter recovers soon.

Just as a reassurance to future Perthites, my daughter's public school in Joondalup has a dentist attached and the women there are fantastic with the kids. She was routinely examined when we'd been here for 4 months, with the rest of the class. She has had 2 fillings and an extraction (problem teeth which they suspect may have been damaged in utero, she has a very healthy diet) and we haven't had to spend a penny. They just called her out of lessons for treatment (dentist onsite) and I went in for the extraction and nearly wept buckets as the women were so good with her. *Worth asking prospective schools what dental services they provide*

Sorry again for you Madsad, don't want to sound like I'm boasting, just want to point peeps in the right direction.
ATB
Larissa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.