Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping stuff and the 12 month rule...?

shipping stuff and the 12 month rule...?

Old Oct 28th 2003, 10:40 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping stuff and the 12 month rule...?

further to ayanem post the details can be found here
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/704.htm

para 4 is the bit you need to read - although you would get stung with excess weight if you tried to take the washing machine on the flight

para 2.3.5 is interesting on the direct export, but you would not be able to make use of the goods in the UK.

I am interested in this option myself as the VAT refund would be larger than the GST charged, but this saving (eg only £191 on £3k item) could be lost with admin charges and I do not know the practicalities of making such a claim.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 11:32 am
Just Joined

kcsb17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: shipping stuff and the 12 month rule...?

Originally posted by sally1968

.... our washing machine has just given up the ghost and as I really can't do without it for too long what chance is there that we will be charged duty when we get to Oz?

Thanks

Sally
Funny - our washing machine just packed up as well and I've spent £400 on a new one - but I won't bother taking it to Oz next year as I much prefer the large top loader machines which are available out there. They have shorter wash cycles, hold more laundry, rarely break down and are usually never plumbed in a kitchen but rather, are in a laundry/utility room. My Mum brought hers back from Oz (long story) and its still going strong 20 years later !!
K
Old Oct 28th 2003, 8:53 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your replies. We think we will just risk it and if it gets notice....oh well, s**t happens!!

Haven't even sold our house yet so think it is likely to be nearer next spring before we leave anyway.

sally