Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default unit/townhouse ??

what does unit/townhouse mean ??seems to mean something differant in uk
thanks
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:31 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: unit/townhouse ??

Originally posted by sashadan
what does unit/townhouse mean ??seems to mean something differant in uk
thanks
Unit is normally like an apartment, i.e. a multi leveled building, but not always... They are generally small, 1 or 2 bedrooms 1 toilet and a living area come kitchen.

Townhouse is normally what we would call a terraced house. Small, 2 up 2 down kin of thing normally.

Pete.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

A unit is a tad bigger than a "flat". That is, it might have 2 bedrooms instead of one and the lounge/kitchen tend to be a tad bigger.

A town house, as far as I know, is similar to a unit but with two stories and occasionally some crappy old fashioned decorations.

Hope this helps...
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:58 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

in NZ a unit usually means a small single level 2 bedroom place, that is often joined with one or two other units. A 'unit' is often the domain of retired people or young couples.

A flat usually is about the same size, but in a larger block, say 4, 6, 8 or more. Usually more downmarket than a unit.

Apartment in NZ is generally more upmarket than a unit, but unlike a unit, it won't have a garden.

And a townhouse is like a terraced house, but sometimes used to describe a unit if the agent wants to make it sound flasher than it is!
Old Oct 28th 2003, 9:19 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: unit/townhouse ??

Originally posted by PeteY
Unit is normally like an apartment, i.e. a multi leveled building, but not always... They are generally small, 1 or 2 bedrooms 1 toilet and a living area come kitchen.
Townhouse is normally what we would call a terraced house. Small, 2 up 2 down kin of thing normally.
Pete.
We lived in a unit until August - 2 bed, single level, lounge / kitchen / laundry / bathroom. Now in a townhouse - 2 bed terrace on two levels, with exactly the same components as the unit. Unit had a garage (in a block), townhouse has a car space outside the door. 8 units in the block we were in, 16 townhouses in this block, all with ground floor entrances.

Apart from this you have duplex (two semis), triplex (three houses joined) and detached. Houses can be fibro (concrete fibre mix) weatherboard, single brick (wooden interior), double brick, or something else, such as sandstone, basalt, granite, etc.

Last edited by downunderpom; Oct 28th 2003 at 9:22 pm.