Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Sofa's - problems?

Shipping Sofa's - problems?

Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping Sofa's - problems?

I've got some relatively new leather sofas to ship. Had shipper round a couple of days ago to quote - and was told sofa would be stood on it's end in the container.

Who's had theirs shipped this way and did it get damaged at all?

Fraser - did you ever get yours sorted out?
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:17 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Sofa's - problems?

Originally Posted by marco121068
I've got some relatively new leather sofas to ship. Had shipper round a couple of days ago to quote - and was told sofa would be stood on it's end in the container.

had mine shipped with pss and no problems! pretty sure they were`nt stood on end mind
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Load of old twaddle John Mason brought mine over - saw it go on the container the way it was made to go - on it's feet Had it delivered yesterday - looks great
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

xxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enoughxxdebsonlinexx will become famous soon enough

Hi Marco

We have just got our shippment and our settee is leather but on a wooden frame no damage at all. We used robinsons and there was nothing broken or damaged. Just make sure you have insurance then if it is damaged you can claim

Debs xxx
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Our was done the same way, were advise this is the best way. Should now be getting it back before the new year. The container arrived in Fremantle on the 8th Dec (shipped 13th Nov) but is ''waiting for it's turn'' to be released. Just hope all is OK.

Andy
Old Dec 21st 2005, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by AndyD
Our was done the same way, were advise this is the best way. Should now be getting it back before the new year. The container arrived in Fremantle on the 8th Dec (shipped 13th Nov) but is ''waiting for it's turn'' to be released. Just hope all is OK.

Andy

Ours was shipped by PSS to Fremantle - in 30 days and released from Freo docks by customs 2 days later.
We shipped a new leather suite - the packer unwrapped it out of the bubble wrap it was delivered in saying that the plastic might make it sweat on its way over - and they rewrapped it in several layer of their paper after we had treated it with leather conditioner for the journey. arrived in perfect condition after it had travelled with one settee upside down on top of the other.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:43 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

I would think that on it's end would probably be safer as it means that nothing is going to get packed on top of it. I think that's how Fraser's got damaged.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:45 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

If the sofa has flat ends we stand then on their ends, this way they go from container floor to ceiling,this way nothing gets loaded on top, if they have rolled ends we build a tier out of cartons , then put the sofa on top on its feet with the chairs upside down , chairs, with the chair feet touching the container roof.
The jury is still out on the plastic wrapping, i have seen Leather wrapped in plastic travel around the world, with out a sign of sweating , and a leather chair from Darwin covered in mould.
It would depend on the humidity level when the chair was loaded,??....... mm
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:22 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I would think that on it's end would probably be safer as it means that nothing is going to get packed on top of it. I think that's how Fraser's got damaged.
Ours got damaged from being on the end it. It was evident asthe top of the arms were coming in at an angle, hence there was a gap at the bottom where the arm was coming aay from the main body of the sofa.

See attached photo.

We are now awaiting a cheque for $2000 for the repairs.

And the rolled ends were square, still are.
Attached Thumbnails Shipping Sofa's - problems?-picture-003.jpg  
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:51 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Ours are cheap and not very sturdy and I was hoping they would be ruined on the journey so I could claim for new ones but (unfortunately) they made it in tip top condition.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:03 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Ours got damaged from being on the end it. It was evident asthe top of the arms were coming in at an angle, hence there was a gap at the bottom where the arm was coming aay from the main body of the sofa.

See attached photo.

We are now awaiting a cheque for $2000 for the repairs.

And the rolled ends were square, still are.
I can see by the size of the support Feet thats a heavy sofa, with i assume fixed cushions ? Any one who put that on its end deserves to be screwed.
with the "sharp end of a pine apple "........... mm
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:05 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I can see by the size of the support Feet thats a heavy sofa, with i assume fixed cushions ? Any one who put that on its end deserves to be screwed.
You assume right on all points, especially the pineapple one
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Mine is also quite heavy and has fixed cushions which is why I'm concerned if it gets stood on its end.

Thanks for the replies guys.