Reload this Page >

Shipping ... silly question :)

Shipping ... silly question :)

Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

scoobydooathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping ... silly question :)

Hi Pommies,

Does anyone know when shipping personal effects to OZ, that the cost is based on volume, ie cu' ft or weight,

I think it's cubic ft, rather than weight

Is it possible to self pack and ship, then declare at the other end (OZ) etc, these shipping firms are having a laugh ...

Please advise otherwise,

Cheer,
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:22 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice
Default Re: Shipping ... silly question :)

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi Pommies,

Does anyone know when shipping personal effects to OZ, that the cost is based on volume, ie cu' ft or weight,

Is it possible to self pack and ship, then declare at the other end (OZ) etc, these shipping firms are having a laugh ...

Please advise otherwise,

Cheer,

All the quotes are based on cubic capacity weight does not matter. If you are shipping a car everything you stuf into it goes free.

There are sites which offer you a 20 ft container (3 hours to load it) and they will ship it to australia BUT everything else the unloading at the other end, the paperwork with customs, shippers, docks and immigration are all down to you. as is the insurance and as you packed it yourself it will be sorted by immigration with a fine tooth comb (probably everything will be unpacked) Lots more chances of breakage this way
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by yafm
All the quotes are based on cubic capacity weight does not matter. If you are shipping a car everything you stuf into it goes free.

There are sites which offer you a 20 ft container (3 hours to load it) and they will ship it to australia BUT everything else the unloading at the other end, the paperwork with customs, shippers, docks and immigration are all down to you. as is the insurance and as you packed it yourself it will be sorted by immigration with a fine tooth comb (probably everything will be unpacked) Lots more chances of breakage this way
Hi,

Can you let me know where the sites are you mentioned i.e 20 ft container,

Thanks,
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:32 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Sods law isn't it I cleared out my personal file two days ago and that one was amongst it. I will try to sort out where I found it originally and get back to you
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:44 am
too busy to work members

Sorry have had a look and cannot find the exact site that offered me a 20 ft container as previously mentioned for £1700

However I just did a google search under international-removers and got 10 pages.

A quick look on a few of the first sites gave me the following who offer a pack it yourself service.

http://www.simpsons-uk.com

I also seem to remember the names hansard and rumsey but do not have time right now to keep hunting but good luck I am sure in 10 pages there must be the original one I found.

I am pretty sure it would have been at this end of the world (south east UK)

I am now off to in Essex bye
Old Apr 6th 2003, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry have had a look and cannot find the exact site that offered me a 20 ft container as previously mentioned for £1700

However I just did a google search under international-removers and got 10 pages.

A quick look on a few of the first sites gave me the following who offer a pack it yourself service.

http://www.simpsons-uk.com

I also seem to remember the names hansard and rumsey but do not have time right now to keep hunting but good luck I am sure in 10 pages there must be the original one I found.

I am pretty sure it would have been at this end of the world (south east UK)

I am now off to in Essex bye
Hi yafm,

Thanks for that,

Have a good day,

Cheers,
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:02 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool shipping conts to aus.

when we work on conts in aus we work in cubic metres, sea cont, are generally 33-35 cu m3, high cube containers are only used between aus and n,z , hope this has been of help,
Old Apr 6th 2003, 8:49 pm
too busy to work members

Default Re: shipping conts to aus.

Originally posted by mr mover
when we work on conts in aus we work in cubic metres, sea cont, are generally 33-35 cu m3, high cube containers are only used between aus and n,z , hope this has been of help,

All the representatives of different companies have quoted us in cu.ft a 20ft container is 1050 cu.ft.
Old Apr 6th 2003, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Prestons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scoobydooathome
Hi Pommies,

Please advise otherwise,

Cheer,
Scooby

Further to earlier replies - You can probably ring up container lines directly and request container at your house - for example, my work uses Hyundai Container Lines (the one I quoted 1,000 quid for 40ft container to Melbourne) who ship from Southampton. You get 3 hours to fill a 20ft container (same as if we used them at our warehouse) then you will get Bill of Lading to your (or shippers agents) order - look into customs business a bit more though to be on the safe side. The shippers agents can undertake the customs clearance and delivery etc... but investigate the cost of this beforehand.

Hopefully this will be of some help - but I will try to find out as much as poss in coming weeks

Dawn
Old Apr 7th 2003, 10:58 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: shipping conts to aus.

All the representatives of different companies have quoted us in cu.ft a 20ft container is 1050 cu.ft.
Lets look at the dimensions of the standard sea container,19.5"X7,5"X7.95"=1162CU,FT, INTERNAL MEASURE MENTS, less 3cu,mtrs packing materials[105,9cu,ft]of wadded paper,bub wrap,export wrap,etc, leaves you1056cuft of pay load,space.they are being up front which is good to see. hope this helps, just remember in aus, you will have to work in metrics,a standard sea cont is 35 cu mtrs. roughly 32 cu metres pay load.