Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping sensitive documents

Shipping sensitive documents

Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:19 am
DJC
Forum Regular

DJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura about
Default Shipping sensitive documents

Hi,

I was just wondering how much personal paperwork people generally keep when they emigrate and indeed do you take it all in the hand luggage?

We have a lot of paperwork/documentation which we wouldn't want to find it's way into the wrong hands. For tax purposes you are supposed to keep stuff for 7 years. That's a heck of a lot of bank statements and mortgage info blah blah to shove in your hand luggage! Is it safe to put it in the container for shipping? What have others done in this situation?

Ta v. much

Debs
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping sensitive documents

We only brought the essential stuff and it all went in my hand luggage. I brought driving licence, kids immunisation records, our last 3 wage slips, references, original and copies of OH's qualifications (so he could get his electricians licence) and a final bank statement. Everything else was shredded.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Paul & Wendy will become famous soon enoughPaul & Wendy will become famous soon enough

If we have time, we are going to scan documents and bring them over on a DVD in our hand luggage. We are also scanning photos etc (taken before the age of digital cameras) in case our container is lost. Paul
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:28 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi,

I was just wondering how much personal paperwork people generally keep when they emigrate and indeed do you take it all in the hand luggage?

We have a lot of paperwork/documentation which we wouldn't want to find it's way into the wrong hands. For tax purposes you are supposed to keep stuff for 7 years. That's a heck of a lot of bank statements and mortgage info blah blah to shove in your hand luggage! Is it safe to put it in the container for shipping? What have others done in this situation?

Ta v. much

Debs
Mine is going as hand luggage, most of it will be needed when we arrive so best have it to hand...
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
Mine is going as hand luggage, most of it will be needed when we arrive so best have it to hand...
hand luggage, ours was SO heavy but hubby was under instruction to carry in a way that made it look light! LOL

Lisa.x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:41 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverandlisa
hand luggage, ours was SO heavy but hubby was under instruction to carry in a way that made it look light! LOL

Lisa.x
Funny Lisa, but I don't think I could pull that one off lightly
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:58 am
DJC
Forum Regular

DJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the answers guys, but does that mean you have either shredded or scanned then shredded all evidence of the previous 7 years?

What if the UK tax man wants evidence of documentation? We have a capital gain to declare this year and will need to keep all the receipts relating to it for the last 'n' years

Can't see us lugging all that in the hand luggage and feel nervous about putting it in the container. Am I just finding things to worry about?
Old Apr 17th 2007, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi,

Ta v. much

Debs

I was going to put a load of mine in the shipment... in most cases the accounts will be closed so not sure what anyone could do with it... i was only goign to take the stuff i am likley to need when we first arrive.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 7:16 am
DJC
Forum Regular

Good point! I guess I am just being paranoid.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJC
Thanks for the answers guys, but does that mean you have either shredded or scanned then shredded all evidence of the previous 7 years?

What if the UK tax man wants evidence of documentation? We have a capital gain to declare this year and will need to keep all the receipts relating to it for the last 'n' years

Can't see us lugging all that in the hand luggage and feel nervous about putting it in the container. Am I just finding things to worry about?

I shredded everything (no scanning involved)

Why don't you ask a relative to keep hold of most of it for you, that way if anyone needs to see it they could sort it out and pass it on to them for you. Just bring what you need here, whats the point in trailing it all half way around the world only to send it all back again!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

My accounts that I needed to keep for UK tax purposes I just shipped in the container...

Do you have an accoutant who could maybe look after them for you if you dont want to bring them?