Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping problem

Shipping problem

Old May 4th 2004, 10:01 am
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping problem

We have booked Pickford's to come next Monday to collect our items. Unfortunately this weekend we have had a problem with the house sale and it will be a minimum of four weeks to sort itself out. I phoned the company who very generously told me there will be a 30% charge of the shipping total for postponement. Has anybody else had this problem before and have they managed to get out of the rather steep charges?
Old May 4th 2004, 11:25 am
the place to be

daveg is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I can't help as haven't decided on shippers yet, but I did notice this clause in all the quotes I have received ref postponement; if less than a week before date 60%, 1 to 2 wks 30%, more than 2 wks notice no charge.
I did wonder if it came to it whether this would be negotiable but it appears not. What about if you threaten to go elsewhere now you have a few weeks, maybe they will climb down a little? Worth a go?
Old May 4th 2004, 4:35 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Gutted, 30% is steep.

I have decided that I wont be booking the removals until I exchange. Luckily I have told my buyers that I need to exchange 3 weeks before completion to give me time to book removals. They are happy with that which is good for me and also for them as they know they will have their house.

3 weeks gives me enough time to secure the date with the removals with no probs according to them. The quotes are done, paperwork in its just a case of saying the date.

hope you manage to negotiate.