Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

Old May 18th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

We've got about half a container and have been quoted £2,300 by GB liners. That's packing this end and unpacking the other end and as it's mainly kitchen equipment, dinner service, bits and pieces etc. rather than furniture it's a pretty shitty job! Britannia came out and the guy seemed nice but he never even sent the quote
Old May 19th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by aussiegirl1970
crystalclearremovals.com

They have quoted £500 door to door delivery, we'll pack ourselves (their packing service is available if needed but I'd rather do it myself) and if we get a cheaper quote from anywhere they will beat it by £100 so worth a look for anyone shipping stuff to Oz
These are the people who quoted us first and not clear blue...as my wife thought they were called

..maybe she has something else to confess to

I've been having trouble with these shipping companies....its really difficult getting someone to give us a quote. Two companies have failed to meet appointments to see what were taking and the last one had a website calculator that didnt work :curse:
How do they get the business ??
Rob
Old May 19th 2007, 8:40 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robowen
We are looking into shipping containers to get our stuff over to Oz.
I wondered if anyone else has booked with someone ? who did you go with ? How much ? etc etc

We're waiting for a company call Clear Blue to get back with a quote.
We've had one other who's quote was £2700 for a 20ft container, but you had to do all packing your self
Thanks
Rob
If you pack the container yourself... check the terms of the insurance. Only stuff packed by the experts was covered by our insurance policy. It's worth paying that little extra and letting them pack it.
We paid £3,200 in Jan 06.
Old May 20th 2007, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

Thanks for all your replies
Keep all your experiences coming...let us know who you've used and what quotes you got , this thread will be helpful to a lot of people.

Back to my situation, I'm sharing a container with my Dad and his partner. She got the first quote and I'm not sure who it was with....I'll ask.
She quite liked this company because they will pick-up from 2 different locations. Dad lives about a mile or two from me. All of the other companies wont do this.

What is the rules on taking hand tools etc. Do all tools have to proffessionally cleaned before shipping ?
anyone know ?
Rob

Our stuff arrived in Freemantle and has now gone into Storage. We used Crown and they were excellent in the UK. Can't comment on this end as we haven't had it delivered yet. A couple of points I have picked up though, You may save a few hundred by packing it yourselves, but it will cost you that in the added insurance. We had Crown pack for us and it took three of them 2 days, they were excellent and it was completely stress free, sooooo glad we didn't do it ourselves, don't think it would havebeen worth it. We brought alot of tools from my husband, we cleaned them ourselves with dettol and grease remover and they have got through customs, no probs. I would have just stuck everything in the dishwasher if I had still got it. The only thing which has been in customs is the lawnmower, it is costing us $70 to have cleaned, my mum had spent 2 hours cleaning and disinfecting it prior to the shippers coming and it looked like new. Don't know if anything is broken yet as it has gone into storage. Have to say Crown have kept us informed at every step of the way, it got here quicker than was originally quoted. We also liked the fact it is the same company on this side.

Good luck, it is a difficult knowing who to choose.

Nicky x
Old May 21st 2007, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Mark_Rigby has a spectacular aura aboutMark_Rigby has a spectacular aura aboutMark_Rigby has a spectacular aura about

I thought I would just mention that despite our removals company going bump while our stuff was en route to Perth and having to pay again to get our stuff released to us (see previous post), the Aussie Customs lady was brilliant, took pity on us and so we didn't have to pay import duty on my brand new racing bike, which I was pretty chuffed about and saved us about 10-15% of the purchase price. (They reckon they will want to see receipts on anything that looks brand new). Also we were told that we couldn't bring anything made of wicker, but we brought in various baskets and wicker chests (had been cleaned) without any probs. However, our large conch shells which were a momento of a family holiday in the Caribbean were confiscated - which we thought was a bit weird. BTW, we brought over loads of breakables, ie china and glassware (some of it quite old and fragile) etc and we didn't have anything broken. Hope this also helps.
Old May 21st 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Wow just had Brittania round to do a quote, I was very impressed. He also gave me an invaluable disc for the PC from 'moving planet' with a registration pin number to get free information on everything you need to know when you get there and before you leave, from education for the kids to financial institutions and communications all sorts.

But I awaite the quote. We shall see!!!
Old May 21st 2007, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough

Had a quote for a 20ft container from 1st Move International.

They quoted £3235 inc packing.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

These are the people who quoted us first and not clear blue...as my wife thought they were called

..maybe she has something else to confess to

I've been having trouble with these shipping companies....its really difficult getting someone to give us a quote. Two companies have failed to meet appointments to see what were taking and the last one had a website calculator that didnt work :curse:
How do they get the business ??
Rob
If your in Manchester try John Mason, door to door service and pack it aswell. They had our three storey town house wrapped, packed and emptied in a day (shared 40foot container) also negotiable if you have other quotes sitting on the table your pondering over and will let you add further stuff / packages after within reason. Couldn't fault them and would highly recommend them.
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of WARNING to self packers, AQIS tend to spend more time checking PBO shipments thus any costs saved may be negated by the $160 an hr AQIS FEES.....................mm
Old May 22nd 2007, 3:59 pm
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Has anyone just taken a small amount of stuff with them? We were just planning on taking clothes, photos and a few personal items, maybe 4-5 boxes? Anyone got any advice on taking small amounts?
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Has anyone just taken a small amount of stuff with them? We were just planning on taking clothes, photos and a few personal items, maybe 4-5 boxes? Anyone got any advice on taking small amounts?
PSS were the cheapest when we looked at that option. Try also Seven Seas.

From memory, it was about £80 for the first box and £40 for each subsequant one with PSS, and something like £100 & £50 for Seven Seas.
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm
visa granted 6th August

stevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to allstevelaird is a name known to all

can any one tell us when you pay for the company to do the shiping is it all paid upfront or can you pay say 2 weeks after thay have collected all your stuff. As we need the money from the sale of our house.

cheers steve
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Have a look at our website - Can offer you a Migrate 1 for GBP 550.00 !

Hope this helps
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:29 am
Just Joined

JIMJAM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluenico
Have a look at our website - Can offer you a Migrate 1 for GBP 550.00 !

Hope this helps
Have just looked at your website and was very impressed with the simplicity of the service!

I'm looking at shipping some stuff to Sydney in the near future and would be very interested in using your company.

Do you travel nationwide? (I live in Poole, Dorset.)
What's your best price for the Migrate 2 service? (for a fellow Blue!!)
What's the average timescale of delivery?

Your help is much appreciated!

Jamie