Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

Old May 9th 2007, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

robowen will become famous soon enoughrobowen will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

We are looking into shipping containers to get our stuff over to Oz.
I wondered if anyone else has booked with someone ? who did you go with ? How much ? etc etc

We're waiting for a company call Clear Blue to get back with a quote.
We've had one other who's quote was £2700 for a 20ft container, but you had to do all packing your self
Thanks
Rob
Old May 9th 2007, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping to OZ. Any advice ?

Clear Blue?? Thought they did pregnancy tests? Think we are using Crown as they have come back with a very competitive quote.. You can self pack but it's a bit of a nightmare though, but i'm sure you realise this, might be worth a few more hundred to take the stress out of it.?? S-j x
Old May 9th 2007, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Hi we are at this stage too, I got the yellow pages out today and phoned 4 companies to come out and give us quotes:

Brittania
pickfords
crown
White & company

Anyone had any dealings with these companies? I have to say on the phone Crown did sound the most professional with Pickfords a runner up. Just have to wait for quotes and feedback from you guys.

Kerry
Old May 9th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Hi we are at this stage too, I got the yellow pages out today and phoned 4 companies to come out and give us quotes:

Brittania
pickfords
crown
White & company

Anyone had any dealings with these companies? I have to say on the phone Crown did sound the most professional with Pickfords a runner up. Just have to wait for quotes and feedback from you guys.

Kerry

Out of all of em i've looked up on here, in my opinion, I think Crown are the best, but make your own mind up, it's a big decision...

S-j
Old May 10th 2007, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Mark_Rigby has a spectacular aura aboutMark_Rigby has a spectacular aura aboutMark_Rigby has a spectacular aura about

Check that whoever you use has FULLY PAID insurance. The company we used (told us they were fully accredited, insured etc, etc) went into receivership while our stuff was on the way to Fremantle. Because they hadn't actually paid their insurance, once the ship arrived into Fremantle port we were told we would have to pay all over again ($4,000 from memory - this is 4 years ago) to get our stuff unloaded off the ship, otherwise it would be taken back to the UK. We paid it (needed our stuff) and claimed it against the UK insurance company who refused to pay until we threatened legal action. Nightmare! Eventually after 6-8 months and many phone calls to UK we got all our money refunded. Not a good way to arrive in Perth. We asked the BAR (British Association of Removalists) for help (as the company were accredited with them) - they were a complete waste of time and no help whatsoever. Anyway, we can larff about it now!
Old May 10th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robowen
I wondered if anyone else has booked with someone ? who did you go with ? How much ? etc etc

We've had one other who's quote was £2700 for a 20ft container, but you had to do all packing your self
Thanks
Rob
We are in the process of getting quotes as well, I'll post the results when they come in.

Who quoted you £2700?

Cheers.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mark_Rigby
Check that whoever you use has FULLY PAID insurance. The company we used (told us they were fully accredited, insured etc, etc) went into receivership while our stuff was on the way to Fremantle. Because they hadn't actually paid their insurance, once the ship arrived into Fremantle port we were told we would have to pay all over again ($4,000 from memory - this is 4 years ago) to get our stuff unloaded off the ship, otherwise it would be taken back to the UK. We paid it (needed our stuff) and claimed it against the UK insurance company who refused to pay until we threatened legal action. Nightmare! Eventually after 6-8 months and many phone calls to UK we got all our money refunded. Not a good way to arrive in Perth. We asked the BAR (British Association of Removalists) for help (as the company were accredited with them) - they were a complete waste of time and no help whatsoever. Anyway, we can larff about it now!
oh my What a nightmare!!! Will check and double check, thanks for the heads up!

Kerry
Old May 10th 2007, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all

Thanks
Rob
I would be Happy to give you a quotation for this - Without advertising at all.

Some People say Self Pack, Some want the complete Package, It all depends on Personal Choice.

Hope to be of Help
Old May 10th 2007, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenico
I would be Happy to give you a quotation for this - Without advertising at all.

Some People say Self Pack, Some want the complete Package, It all depends on Personal Choice.

Hope to be of Help
Can you PM me your e-mail address please, and I'll send you some details of what we would like to ship for you to quote on too.

Cheers.
Old May 10th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

bluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to allbluenico is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Can you PM me your e-mail address please, and I'll send you some details of what we would like to ship for you to quote on too.

Cheers.
The Link is in My Signature but it is [email protected]
Old May 10th 2007, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Rob
We thought about self-packing but used Pickfords' full packing service in the end.

£3300 for 3/4 of a container (including insurance).

Very pleased with the two days work the packers put in. Everything into a variety of standard size boxes. Definetely couldn't have done such a good job on my own. Because we were only taking a part container they pack the stuff into a 300 cubic foot box on the back of the van and repack onto a container in the depot. Of the 300 cubic foot, I'd say only about 10 foot was lefover so good were they at stacking.

One of the packers made a good point that I'd never even thought about. He said that people have problems regarding damaged items when they haven't been stacked into the container properly. 6-8 weeks at sea give improperly secured items ample time to work free and start bashing into others. End result matchwood.

cheers

Andy
Old May 10th 2007, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Thanks
Rob
If you do a search on here there are loads of threads about shipping, costs, recommendations etc. Will give you a good overall view.
sals
Old May 10th 2007, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluenico
The Link is in My Signature but it is [email protected]
Cheers - I really should start paying more attention to what I'm looking at.

I'll e-mail you some stuff through in a bit.

Thanks.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
We thought about self-packing but used Pickfords' full packing service in the end.

£3300 for 3/4 of a container (including insurance).

Very pleased with the two days work the packers put in. Everything into a variety of standard size boxes. Definetely couldn't have done such a good job on my own. Because we were only taking a part container they pack the stuff into a 300 cubic foot box on the back of the van and repack onto a container in the depot. Of the 300 cubic foot, I'd say only about 10 foot was lefover so good were they at stacking.

One of the packers made a good point that I'd never even thought about. He said that people have problems regarding damaged items when they haven't been stacked into the container properly. 6-8 weeks at sea give improperly secured items ample time to work free and start bashing into others. End result matchwood.

cheers

Andy
Are you down under? Have you recieved your stuff yet? I just had Crown out and they seem to be verrrry professional and I like the fact that its only crown that will be handling your stuff so only crown are accountable.

Got pickfords coming out in a couple of weeks for quote.
Old May 10th 2007, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Are you down under? Have you recieved your stuff yet? I just had Crown out and they seem to be verrrry professional and I like the fact that its only crown that will be handling your stuff so only crown are accountable.

Got pickfords coming out in a couple of weeks for quote.
Leaving for Brisbane on Monday.

Stuff packed off a week gone Wednesday.

Pickfords are the same, door to door service.

We'd also looked at Robinsons, but more expensive and relied upon agents at the other end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.