Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

shipping our stuff

shipping our stuff

Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Trevor and Rachel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping our stuff

Hi, We are moving to Western australia in September and would like some advice about wether to take our stuff with us. We don't have enough to warrant a 20' container or have much furniture we would want to keep but we have lots of books, a 1967 vespa , My tools,personal effects ,kids computors and musical instuments amoungst other things we could keep.

What do you think? Should we have a whole new fresh start? We just can't decide!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: shipping our stuff

Originally Posted by Trevor and Rachel
Hi, We are moving to Western australia in September and would like some advice about wether to take our stuff with us. We don't have enough to warrant a 20' container or have much furniture we would want to keep but we have lots of books, a 1967 vespa , My tools,personal effects ,kids computors and musical instuments amoungst other things we could keep.

What do you think? Should we have a whole new fresh start? We just can't decide!
And you want total strangers to make that decision for you.. Flip a coin
Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Trevor and Rachel is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want strangers to make the decision for me, just what they would do having the benefit of their own experience! why are you on here ?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

kirrane is on a distinguished road

if you can afford it and they are worth anything take it. you wont get what its worth if you sell it . if you have to buy new its a big expense . furniture can be quite expensive out here. books are very expensive .
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:07 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

We are taking what we thought was very basic,absolutely no bedroom furniture, very few electricals and the kids toys and when we had to do the inventory for the insurance we made it a very realistic value not the actual new value and it came to £10,180. what i would suggest is that you go through the inportant things you would like to keep and if it is worth double what the shipping cost will be then i would say deffinately take them or you may get a shock when you have to replace them over there

just my 2p worth

BTW we only had 415 cubic feet, almost half a container and as i said the rough value £10,180. How much would it be to replace your kids PC`s and musical instruments? prob most important is things of sentimental value.

We used Excess baggage/International and had a quote of £2195 for 500cubic feet which will be reduced to prob under £2k as we only had 415 cubic feet
http://www.excess-baggage.com/

Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:19 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
We are taking what we thought was very basic,absolutely no bedroom furniture, very few electricals and the kids toys and when we had to do the inventory for the insurance we made it a very realistic value not the actual new value and it came to £10,180. what i would suggest is that you go through the inportant things you would like to keep and if it is worth double what the shipping cost will be then i would say deffinately take them or you may get a shock when you have to replace them over there

just my 2p worth

BTW we only had 415 cubic feet, almost half a container and as i said the rough value £10,180. How much would it be to replace your kids PC`s and musical instruments? prob most important is things of sentimental value.

We used Excess baggage/International and had a quote of £2195 for 500cubic feet which will be reduced to prob under £2k as we only had 415 cubic feet
http://www.excess-baggage.com/

having lost all our belongings in a shipping disaster once

make sure you insure for replacement value,

loss adjusters will halve the value you give anyway,

all ours was brand new and unused, it was the little things like underwear and CDs that cost the most to replace !!!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

Sorry if I got you in a hump

Its simple maths
Option A
Sell everything (£ A) and replace (£B) B – A =Y

Option B
Container 20ft £3500 to £4000 = (£X)

Day 28 --- £X or £Y
YOU DISIDE
Do a searches on this site regarding your dilemma and most posts will tell you to take everything.. And more beside
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkey12903
Sorry if I got you in a hump

Its simple maths
Option A
Sell everything (£ A) and replace (£B) B – A =Y

Option B
Container 20ft £3500 to £4000 = (£X)

Day 28 --- £X or £Y
YOU DISIDE
Do a searches on this site regarding your dilemma and most posts will tell you to take everything.. And more beside
I'm sure they'll welcome your friendly advice
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

surf n turf is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just joined and were about to ask a similar question.

Think we might ask elsewhere
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surf n turf
We have just joined and were about to ask a similar question.

Think we might ask elsewhere
No don't we're not all like that most of us don't bite honest
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by curly
No don't we're not all like that most of us don't bite honest
yep , not all like that
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond reputemands has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
yep , not all like that
definitely not all like that
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks folks, you made me
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by surf n turf
Thanks folks, you made me
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there are a few, but mainly we're all lovely
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

We will be back!!!! Thanks again

Ain't done this before,it's like first time on holiday in US..couldn't find the petrol cap or the lights and I've been driving for 20 year..doh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.