Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping with no destination address

Shipping with no destination address

Old Sep 13th 2006, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Shipping with no destination address

Sorry if this has been done before but we want to ship some boxes sea freight in the next couple of weeks, which will be about six weeks before we go to Melbourne, so that we're not without it too long over there.
However, we don't have an address in melb in which to send it!!!
Even if we left it until nearer the time we still won't have an address as we'll be in a holiday let for the first two or three weeks.
Has anyone found a way around this?
Thanks
Dianne
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:18 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping with no destination address

Originally Posted by DianneH68
Sorry if this has been done before but we want to ship some boxes sea freight in the next couple of weeks, which will be about six weeks before we go to Melbourne, so that we're not without it too long over there.
Even if we left it until nearer the time we still won't have an address as we'll be in a holiday let for the first two or three weeks.
Thanks
Dianne
That is something that the shippers will require. Can you use the address of a friend, relative etc, or you could use the address you will be at. It will make it difficult, if not impossible for the shippers this end to contact you if they don't have an address and if they can't, you'll start being charged big $'s for storage at the shippers.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

millymolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Bloke
That is something that the shippers will require. Can you use the address of a friend, relative etc, or you could use the address you will be at. It will make it difficult, if not impossible for the shippers this end to contact you if they don't have an address and if they can't, you'll start being charged big $'s for storage at the shippers.
Hi ya it has been a while since I have been on this website and am loving the threads!! However your one is of particular interest to me becuase I am in the same boat (so to speak!)....We are shipping our goods over in Dec and flying out in January - so that like you we dont have long to wait - however we also do not have a residential address and we will be staying in a hotel for 4 weeks (but also have no friends or family there to help) - but what we have decided to do is that seeing we that we will be over there when it arrives we are hiring a large van and are meeting the container when it arrives and am transhipping our goods ourselves from the container to the van - then that way we can hire a storage box elsewhere away from the port which is not soo expensive - we have checked into this and know we can do it. But it really all depends on how much you are taking really if you are taking the contents of a 3/4 bed house then obviously it may be abit more difficult...but this is way we have/are selling alot of our stuff before hand. - just an idea perhaps!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by millymolly
Hi ya it has been a while since I have been on this website and am loving the threads!! However your one is of particular interest to me becuase I am in the same boat (so to speak!)....We are shipping our goods over in Dec and flying out in January - so that like you we dont have long to wait - however we also do not have a residential address and we will be staying in a hotel for 4 weeks (but also have no friends or family there to help) - but what we have decided to do is that seeing we that we will be over there when it arrives we are hiring a large van and are meeting the container when it arrives and am transhipping our goods ourselves from the container to the van - then that way we can hire a storage box elsewhere away from the port which is not soo expensive - we have checked into this and know we can do it. But it really all depends on how much you are taking really if you are taking the contents of a 3/4 bed house then obviously it may be abit more difficult...but this is way we have/are selling alot of our stuff before hand. - just an idea perhaps!
Hi!
Thanks for the reply.
We were thinking of doing the same thing (ie, meet the boat when it arrives!) but was a bit concerned that most shippers seem to insist on a destination address or they won't ship it..
I guess we could just put any old address down (probably our holiday let), but ask the shippers only to deliver it to the port then ring us.
I'm a bit concerned though that they might not ring us, and it will end up getting delivered to the holiday let when we are not there
We don't have much stuff - just sending a few boxes - but it's a bit of a dilemma all the same
Old Sep 13th 2006, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

millymolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!
Thanks for the reply.
We were thinking of doing the same thing (ie, meet the boat when it arrives!) but was a bit concerned that most shippers seem to insist on a destination address or they won't ship it..
I guess we could just put any old address down (probably our holiday let), but ask the shippers only to deliver it to the port then ring us.
I'm a bit concerned though that they might not ring us, and it will end up getting delivered to the holiday let when we are not there
We don't have much stuff - just sending a few boxes - but it's a bit of a dilemma all the same
We are just telling our shippers to deliver to the Port of Brisbane and giving mobile numbers and hotel name as back up contacts - they should not deliver to the hotel if they are not asked too!! But If your shipping line is really really insisting try talking to another shipper, who knows you might end up getting a better deal!! But also the shippers should give you an ETA for when the vessel should arrive and you can call the port on/about that day to confim sailing and arrvial times to meet the boat with your van - But we are also having the same trouble re. no permanant address for car insurance & registration details & drivers licensing details etc- but after many emails and phones calls to QLD transport I have just been told this morning that you are able to give a hotel address as point of residence but as long as we submit it with a letter on notification advising them why it will not be a permanent address ie. cos hubby and I are going to travel abit when we get there - and that when we do have a PR we will update our records with them - Good Luck Anyway!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

We are just telling our shippers to deliver to the Port of Brisbane and giving mobile numbers and hotel name as back up contacts - they should not deliver to the hotel if they are not asked too!! But If your shipping line is really really insisting try talking to another shipper, who knows you might end up getting a better deal!! But also the shippers should give you an ETA for when the vessel should arrive and you can call the port on/about that day to confim sailing and arrvial times to meet the boat with your van - But we are also having the same trouble re. no permanant address for car insurance & registration details & drivers licensing details etc- but after many emails and phones calls to QLD transport I have just been told this morning that you are able to give a hotel address as point of residence but as long as we submit it with a letter on notification advising them why it will not be a permanent address ie. cos hubby and I are going to travel abit when we get there - and that when we do have a PR we will update our records with them - Good Luck Anyway!
Thanks for the advice,
Guess it's a case of ringing around and seeing who's the most helpful!
Good luck to you too
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:26 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Taking your goods or container directly from the ship is not possible, as you will not be allowed anywhere near the Port and wharves. The shippers will contact you when you can collect your goods from their premises or to have them delivered it to you by mail so there is a wirtten document.
Also collection time on the container depends on varying factors:
A) Whether the ship arrives on time or if the container is actually on the correct ship.
B) How long it sits in the holding yard before moving to Customs and AQIS.
C) The amount of backlog in the Customs and AQIS screening procedure.
D) The length of time it takes Australia Post to deliver notification that your container is ready for collection.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 9:11 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Taking your goods or container directly from the ship is not possible, as you will not be allowed anywhere near the Port and wharves. The shippers will contact you when you can collect your goods from their premises or to have them delivered it to you by mail so there is a wirtten document.
Also collection time on the container depends on varying factors:
A) Whether the ship arrives on time or if the container is actually on the correct ship.
B) How long it sits in the holding yard before moving to Customs and AQIS.
C) The amount of backlog in the Customs and AQIS screening procedure.
D) The length of time it takes Australia Post to deliver notification that your container is ready for collection.

Maybe you could ask someone really nicely from on here and maybe they could let you use their address as a delivery address.

When we get out to Adelaide we are going to offer our adress as delivery addresses to ppl on here if they get stuck.

we all have to help each other along the adventure of a lifetime, i am sure that there is a thread somewhere about ppl offerring their help.

Try here - http://britishexpats.com/articles/au...elping-friends

Last edited by Katsmajics other half !!!; Sep 13th 2006 at 9:13 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

hello from brisbane,

for any of you who are stuck and need an address for your shipping company as long as you dont defraud us you are more than welcome to use our address (lol), we were lucky in that we did have rellies here to do it for us but i know the problems it can cause if you dont.

pm me if you need help

loopyloo2

h
Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Maybe you could ask someone really nicely from on here and maybe they could let you use their address as a delivery address.

When we get out to Adelaide we are going to offer our adress as delivery addresses to ppl on here if they get stuck.

we all have to help each other along the adventure of a lifetime, i am sure that there is a thread somewhere about ppl offerring their help.

Try here - http://britishexpats.com/articles/au...elping-friends
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Dianne
It really is not a problem. Find an address in you destination city and quote this as your address. Once you arrive in Aus just phone them up with your rental address and they will transfer it over straight away. We used seven seas with no probs at all. In fact I can highly recommend them, very good service as we did exactly the same. Just keep your reference number and password at hand and all will turn out OK.

PM me and I will give you my next door neighbours address
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:24 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

I think i have said this a HUNDRED times on here ,the company that picks up your furniture, will have an agent in Australia ,who will have copies of your passports and your b534 and all other documentation.
Their import controller will act as your liason between AUST CUSTOMS & AQIS, their address is your contact address in Australia.
It is simple find out who your chosen mover , is using on this side of the pond, and contact the relevant office in the state you are going to ...... I hope i have typed this slow enough ........... mm
Old Sep 14th 2006, 12:42 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Dianne
We used an address of the short term apartment we stayed in. Similar to you we shipped our stuff and left 2 weeks later (spending 2 weeks with friends in europe) and spending a few weeks in asia with family.
The local shipping agents face this all the time the address is only for customs purposes they know you will have to advice of another address once you have sorted out rentals etc. The storage costs are also very minimal and dont kick in for around 2 weeks so plenty of time to get organised.

If in doubt google the local pizza delivery company and use that address.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I think i have said this a HUNDRED times on here ,the company that picks up your furniture, will have an agent in Australia ,who will have copies of your passports and your b534 and all other documentation.
Their import controller will act as your liason between AUST CUSTOMS & AQIS, their address is your contact address in Australia.
It is simple find out who your chosen mover , is using on this side of the pond, and contact the relevant office in the state you are going to ...... I hope i have typed this slow enough ........... mm
Agree Agree...we shipped our stuff, 40ft etc etc on a Business Visa and 3 tourist visas....we kept in contact with the shipping agent and six weeks and 6 days after landing we directed shipping company to the rental we got three days before. This was three months before three of got a 457, the other pillock in the family took 9 months!

I think it is the dollar that moves the goods not the visa?

But it may have changed in the last four years - you may not now be able to ship all your worldly goods before you can actually have the right to stay in a country....or of course they may ship you and charge you when they ship you back!

Do not ever take shipping company advice - check with an agent

Cheers