Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Underwater homes

Underwater homes

Old Sep 14th 2006, 9:48 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of
Default Underwater homes

Maybe this is a bit too much research but given all this talk about global warming and sea-level rises (20 feet very quickly if Al Gore is to be believed), I thought I'd see how that might affect where I'd choose to live.

I found this site. You can project up to a 14m sea level rise for any mapped location in the world.

I took a look at Melbourne's east coast, as that was on my list but between Parkdale and Frankston looks like it might get a bit damp, especially around Carrum Downs. Mind you, London (where I am now) doesn't look so great either.

This map also gives an indication of storm surge or flooding risk too as the bits that go underwater first are the bits more at risk, even now.

But hey, we might actually get a climate flip, resulting in new ice age and so sea levels will actually drop.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:05 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Underwater homes

cool website!
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:59 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

..just another reason to move to canberra.
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by fnord
Maybe this is a bit too much research but given all this talk about global warming and sea-level rises (20 feet very quickly if Al Gore is to be believed), I thought I'd see how that might affect where I'd choose to live.

I found this site. You can project up to a 14m sea level rise for any mapped location in the world.

I took a look at Melbourne's east coast, as that was on my list but between Parkdale and Frankston looks like it might get a bit damp, especially around Carrum Downs. Mind you, London (where I am now) doesn't look so great either.

This map also gives an indication of storm surge or flooding risk too as the bits that go underwater first are the bits more at risk, even now.

But hey, we might actually get a climate flip, resulting in new ice age and so sea levels will actually drop.
Think you are wasting your time old chap. No-one seems to want this type of info. It's the old 'head in the sand' scenario. If I don't know about it then it can't possibbly happen to me.

This is something very close to my heart however but unfortunately that link doesn't seem to work. When I was looking at relocating within the UK I practically lived on the environment agency website, much like I'm living on realestate.com at the moment. This is an important consideration when investing a large sum of money. Imagine buying the house of your dreams and a year down the line it's either uninsurable/unsellable/underwater.

OK if you've got gills I suppose

Can you have a look at that link for me?

Cheers

Andy
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:07 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by andicee
Can you have a look at that link for me?
The link seems OK. Might be the click from the page that isn't working.

Try copying the URL:
http://flood.firetree.net/
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fnord

Excellent news.

My property value will go dramatically when it becomes waterfront.

WW
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If my house ever floods then we are all in trouble
Old Sep 14th 2006, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
If my house ever floods then we are all in trouble

We may have to call you Noah
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

andicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really niceandicee is just really nice

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Excellent news.

My property value will go dramatically when it becomes waterfront.

WW
Now there's optimism for you. I like it

BTW, see how many replies you DIDN'T get? Ostriches the lot of 'em!
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

anyone know if noah and his ark will be passing via the north sea just incase it happens quickly cos i know of a pair of murtonians who may need a lift to brizzy