Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping Motorcycle over (off-road non registered)

Shipping Motorcycle over (off-road non registered)

Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shipping Motorcycle over (off-road non registered)

I have read on here many times about exporting people's cars and bikes to Oz, and how after all the costs, it's not worth it.

Would this be the same with an off-road bike as well?

I have a trials motorcycle that I may want to take with me. It's not registered as it's used off road only, so would it be easier?

I'm not sure how much it would cost to get it over there, but the bike cost me £2600 new because I got a brill deal (should be £3600), I could sell it in a year for £2400, but would imagine it would cost about £4200 to by the same over in Oz.

Would it make sense to ship it across? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't need to be registered over there as it's for off road use only in competitions?!

Anyone have any advice?
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping Motorcycle over (off-road non registered)

The last thing Australia needs is another trials bike to make any body within 2 miles of it miserable, although if you are into unregistered vehicles you will fit in well. Only half joking.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:59 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xzibit
I have read on here many times about exporting people's cars and bikes to Oz, and how after all the costs, it's not worth it.

Would this be the same with an off-road bike as well?

I have a trials motorcycle that I may want to take with me. It's not registered as it's used off road only, so would it be easier?

I'm not sure how much it would cost to get it over there, but the bike cost me £2600 new because I got a brill deal (should be £3600), I could sell it in a year for £2400, but would imagine it would cost about £4200 to by the same over in Oz.

Would it make sense to ship it across? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't need to be registered over there as it's for off road use only in competitions?!

Anyone have any advice?
Hi
If the bike is made as off road then you can import without many probs, take a look at http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...VSB10_Form.pdf
and
http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...ting.aspx#5.11
best of luck
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neil248
The last thing Australia needs is another trials bike to make any body within 2 miles of it miserable, although if you are into unregistered vehicles you will fit in well. Only half joking.
Sorry, do you know anything about trials? Are you sure you are not getting confused with trails, enduro, motorcross? If you knew about trials, you would know that they are extremely quiet, low revving bikes, that you can hardly hear from 50ft away, let alone 2 miles.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Trevski
Hi
If the bike is made as off road then you can import without many probs, take a look at http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...VSB10_Form.pdf
and
http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safet...ting.aspx#5.11
best of luck
Thank you!!
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
Sorry, do you know anything about trials? Are you sure you are not getting confused with trails, enduro, motorcross? If you knew about trials, you would know that they are extremely quiet, low revving bikes, that you can hardly hear from 50ft away, let alone 2 miles.
Yes sorry, a couple of beers and trying to be clever, appreciate what you are saying and have learned something, its the trails/motorcross bikes that are the problem to the extent you have police on on the very same trails bikes trying to catch the offenders in parts of the Gold Coast. Thanks for a civilised reply.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I wasn't trying to get at you, I do know what you mean about off-road bikes being a problem sometimes.

I ride trials in a club environment, at competitions only, and trials is a very slow sport, which involves no speed whatsoever, more skill and balance (riding over rocks, up and down banks etc through marked sections).

There could be a competition less than half a mile from your back yard, and I promise you that you wouldn't even know it was happening. (Unless you could see it lol).
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:04 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing whatsoever to do with importing, but I thought you might find this helpful.
www.trials.com.au/calndrs/calendars.php
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Nothing whatsoever to do with importing, but I thought you might find this helpful.
www.trials.com.au/calndrs/calendars.php
Yes, thank you very much!