Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping issue !!!

Shipping issue !!!

Old Jun 10th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping issue !!!

Our stuff was packed up by John Mason's in April and has been held in storage for us. We are due in Perth at the end of August but, today, I received a letter from them stating that the ship (Clementine Maersk ?!!) will leave the UK on 30th June and arrive in Fremantle on 27th July.

Now I know that it can't arrive before us but, also, I was under the impression that it took 8 - 12 weeks to arrive, not less than 4 ! Could this be a typo or is it true and I need to make a few phone calls and pay out more money in storage fees ? :scared:
Old Jun 10th 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

sg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Shipping issue !!!

Originally Posted by ohippy
Our stuff was packed up by John Mason's in April and has been held in storage for us. We are due in Perth at the end of August but, today, I received a letter from them stating that the ship (Clementine Maersk ?!!) will leave the UK on 30th June and arrive in Fremantle on 27th July.

Now I know that it can't arrive before us but, also, I was under the impression that it took 8 - 12 weeks to arrive, not less than 4 ! Could this be a typo or is it true and I need to make a few phone calls and pay out more money in storage fees ? :scared:
Hi ohippy,

Transit time from Southampton to Melbourne is 35 days, then allow for time either end for collection, loading & off-loading, customs clearance.

Regards

Simon
Old Jun 10th 2006, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sg1964
Hi ohippy,

Transit time from Southampton to Melbourne is 35 days, then allow for time either end for collection, loading & off-loading, customs clearance.

Regards

Simon
why do they tell you 8 to 12 weeks then ? Surely it can't take 3 to 7 weeks to clear customs !

Am I right in thinking that we have to be in Oz when the container lands then ?
Old Jun 10th 2006, 8:31 pm
Banned

Gnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of lightGnut Kracker is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Chippy

http://www.maersk.co.uk/

You should be able to download the ship's sailing schedule from here. If not, I would ring or e-mail Maersk on Monday and find out from them They own the ship so, barring the unforeseen, you can trust what they say. Maersk are highly reputable and very efficient.

Gnut
Old Jun 10th 2006, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Darren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant futureDarren S has a brilliant future

Hi
We had our furniture collected on Thursday by PSS. We were quoted 8-10 weeks because we are sharing container. The furniture stays at their depot until the container has been packed. When are you arriving in Perth? We arrive 23/08/06
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gnut Kracker
Hi Chippy

http://www.maersk.co.uk/

You should be able to download the ship's sailing schedule from here. If not, I would ring or e-mail Maersk on Monday and find out from them They own the ship so, barring the unforeseen, you can trust what they say. Maersk are highly reputable and very efficient.

Gnut
Thanks for that link - I never even realised that Maersk was a company ! The Clementine schedule doesn't appear to include Fremantle though so now I'm more confused than ever
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

sg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura aboutsg1964 has a spectacular aura about

why do they tell you 8 to 12 weeks then ? Surely it can't take 3 to 7 weeks to clear customs !

Am I right in thinking that we have to be in Oz when the container lands then ?
Hi again ohippy,

I work for a transport company in Southampton, we have a freight forwarding department a part of our group. From what I understand the quicker the transit time the more it costs, (that is why air-freight is so expensive), if you are quoted 8-12 weeks it might mean that it will go the "long" way to OZ thus increasing the time it takes, but also decreasing the cost to the removal company.

regards

Simon
Old Jun 10th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is due to leave 16 June and arrive in Fremantle on 12 July. Then it will be at least 2 weeks in customs. Some people have been waiting more than 4 weeks for there stuff to clear customs - so it is a bit of a gamble at the moment. You don't really know when you'll get your stuff.

Old Jun 10th 2006, 11:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My container left Tilbury on the 21st/22nd October and arrived in Brisbane on the 26th November. Took two weeks to get from boat to storage.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Hi,
We ara also going with John Mason. (well belongings are). Container will be on the Shangai Express leaving on 23rd June and arrives in Fremantle on 17th July.
We don't fly out to Perth until 15th August. Stuff will have to be stored probably until end of September? hopefully this will give us time to find unfurnished rental. John Masons were arranging storage the other end and we were informed that it would be a lot cheaper to store it the other end.
Like you we thought it would take a lot longer to get there.
Good luck
Sharon
Old Jun 11th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pioneer
Hi,
We ara also going with John Mason. (well belongings are). Container will be on the Shangai Express leaving on 23rd June and arrives in Fremantle on 17th July.
We don't fly out to Perth until 15th August. Stuff will have to be stored probably until end of September? hopefully this will give us time to find unfurnished rental. John Masons were arranging storage the other end and we were informed that it would be a lot cheaper to store it the other end.
Like you we thought it would take a lot longer to get there.
Good luck
Sharon
Good to hear someone is in the same position as us ! I must admit though - I could have sworn that I was told originally that we had to be in Oz when our container arrived.

Will ring them tomorrow to make sure it can be stored in Oz, like you, we won't be ready for it until the end of September at the earliest.

Heather