Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fish for thought

Fish for thought

Old Jun 10th 2006, 3:30 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Fish for thought

Visa Visa Visa, send us all mad, so here is something different;

Fish, the UK is an island,yet we have very little fresh fish. The wife noticed it as well when she came from France. (they must have our share )
Well, has your fish consumption gone up now you live in Oz (fish also covers crab, and all the other things you can eat from the sea!)

I realy loved sitting on Bondi eating propper prawns we had braught from the Westfield mall.

Anyone noticed this / comments?
Appart from need more

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 10th 2006, 5:09 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish for thought

Originally Posted by markeh

Fish, the UK is an island,yet we have very little fresh fish. The wife noticed it as well when she came from France. (they must have our share )
Well, has your fish consumption gone up now you live in Oz (fish also covers crab, and all the other things you can eat from the sea!)

I realy loved sitting on Bondi eating propper prawns we had braught from the Westfield mall.

Appart from need more

Bye
Mark

Hi Mark,

We went to visit my parents last year, they live in Sydney.
We couldn't get enough of the seafood. It was fresh tasty and lots cheaper than the UK.

What the Aussies call shrimp in Australia... is the equivalent to what the UK call King Prawns... and our shrimp and probably the things the Australian Shrimp live on (the shrimp here are are sooo tiny)

I can't wait to get back to Australia... we too loved Bondi we sat at one of the outdoor restaurants and it was Seafood heaven
Old Jun 10th 2006, 5:59 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the shrimps and prawns sold in Australia are from the far east.

....and scottish prawns are exported all over the world.

Things are not always what they seem

G
Old Jun 10th 2006, 6:12 pm
Can't wait!

utopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond reputeutopia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
A lot of the shrimps and prawns sold in Australia are from the far east.

....and scottish prawns are exported all over the world.

Things are not always what they seem

G
G,

OK I must agree somewhat.... I love Scottish Salmon. But look at Tesco's for example sake... it costs about 7.00 pounds for a tiny portion.
Wheres in Australia for around 10 dollars (about 3.00 pound) I had a mini feast of Salmon, Prawns a couple of Crap cutlets, Calamari...

In London, can't speak for Scotland prices have become ridiculously expensive and quality not that good. If you have the money M & S is fantastic but for people with a young family on a budget... these little luxuries, are far too overpriced.
Old Jun 10th 2006, 7:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fish for thought

Originally Posted by utopia
a couple of Crap cutlets,
That is the funniest typo I have seen ever on British Expats.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 10th 2006, 8:36 pm
Can't wait!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
That is the funniest typo I have seen ever on British Expats.

Cheers

Buzzy
hahahahahahahahahahaha

GUYS THAT WAS CRAB-CRAB-CRAB CUTLETS!!!!!

PMSL
Old Jun 10th 2006, 9:09 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by utopia
Hi Mark,

We went to visit my parents last year, they live in Sydney.
We couldn't get enough of the seafood. It was fresh tasty and lots cheaper than the UK.

What the Aussies call shrimp in Australia... is the equivalent to what the UK call King Prawns... and our shrimp and probably the things the Australian Shrimp live on (the shrimp here are are sooo tiny)

I can't wait to get back to Australia... we too loved Bondi we sat at one of the outdoor restaurants and it was Seafood heaven
Hiya Utopia,
We were wondering around (wife was shopping) when we came across the seafood shop in the Westfield mall.
They had such a range of "stuff" we had 3 diferent types of prawn's and they would have been king prawns in the UK. They were huge and we loved them.

I'm an avid fan of Rex Hunt and can't wait to get to Oz!

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:16 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh

Appart from need more

Bye
Mark
This is very true and is result of people demanding a higher standard of food. Not just battered fish. When people learn to appreciate bony fish against Cod
they will be in fish heaven.

Kiwi
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:29 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we are eating more fish, but I have been surprised by the amount that is not from Australias shores. Some of these places I would have doubts on their fishing methods ie not sure if some of these countries would use blast fishing.

Whilst prices may seem low to new expats, locals are finding the prices a lot higher than they use to be. For example on prices, we have paid as low as $9 or $10 a kilo, but salmon fillets from Taz were around $24. That is in Woolies, so may not be the best priced.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:36 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
we are eating more fish, but I have been surprised by the amount that is not from Australias shores. Some of these places I would have doubts on their fishing methods ie not sure if some of these countries would use blast fishing.

Whilst prices may seem low to new expats, locals are finding the prices a lot higher than they use to be. For example on prices, we have paid as low as $9 or $10 a kilo, but salmon fillets from Taz were around $24. That is in Woolies, so may not be the best priced.
Walaj

Thats my excuse for getting a boat and going fishing/diving with Buzzy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 12:41 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Walaj

Thats my excuse for getting a boat and going fishing/diving with Buzzy
not into fishing, much to my frustration my dive gear will remain dry til next year (I'm with child ). Use to go to a dive site off dorset where there were loads of scallops - I will not eat dredged one, nor cuttlefish cause I like to watch them too much underwater
Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:08 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by walaj
not into fishing, much to my frustration my dive gear will remain dry til next year (I'm with child ). Use to go to a dive site off dorset where there were loads of scallops - I will not eat dredged one, nor cuttlefish cause I like to watch them too much underwater

Before our little one came on the scene we were contemplating having a boat at Poole marina.

Were in Oz did you make home?

Just got back from drive to Mt Martha - come on Buzzy we need a place to crash in the weekend

After a full day out keeping the daughter relatively clean including icecreams took my eye off her for 30 secounds (to gawk at the Hawthorn V Port Adelaide match) and she has emptied an entire tin of Milo over herself. :scared:

Dam the cameras recharging
Old Jun 11th 2006, 6:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fish for thought

Just got back from drive to Mt Martha - come on Buzzy we need a place to crash in the weekend
Gees hold your horses!!! I need that retention bonus to pay for my container and my flights!!!

We'll be there soon enough!

Mind you, if I'm made redundant before then, which is quite possible, I'll be over earlier...

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:12 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Gees hold your horses!!! I need that retention bonus to pay for my container and my flights!!!

We'll be there soon enough!

Mind you, if I'm made redundant before then, which is quite possible, I'll be over earlier...

Cheers

Buzzy
? only joking mate - its only 40 mins drive from our house
If Mt Martha is still on your list you wont be disappointed.

But I will be a getting a boat regardless of where you guys end up. Can't stop me fishing.
Old Jun 11th 2006, 7:22 am
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: Fish for thought

? only joking mate - its only 40 mins drive from our house
If Mt Martha is still on your list you wont be disappointed.

But I will be a getting a boat regardless of where you guys end up. Can't stop me fishing.
Mount Martha is definitely on our list, as are the places a bit further in, such as Mt Eliza, Mornington, Frankston South and Langwarrin if we decide to go for acreage ( we may have to for the amount of kit you and me are planning to put on the section!!!)

I was thinking that sea kayaks might be a nice thing to have too - kayaking round the bay in the evening, sunset picnic somewhere quiet, kayak back home again at dusk.... what d'you reckon?

Going to buy some dive gear in L.A. too on the way over - could do with a dry suit and a few other bits and bobs.

Cheers

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.