Reload this Page >

Shipping Insurance

Shipping Insurance

Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

ianp will become famous soon enoughianp will become famous soon enough
Default Shipping Insurance

Hi, after much nail biting we have fihally exchanged contracts on our house,
and have John masons coming in on the 23rd of this month.

We have been looking at shipping insurance and have recieved insurance forms from Letton Percival , they are half the price @ 1.53% of most of the shipping companies.

The only concern I have is the proposal form is just a very badly Photocopied piece of A4 paper. which apparently gets stamped and returned and acts as your policy document.

has anyone ever had to claim on a shipping policy , or are they like used car warranties ?

any advice would be welcome.

Ian &
Kath
Old Aug 13th 2004, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping Insurance

Originally Posted by ianp
Hi, after much nail biting we have fihally exchanged contracts on our house,
and have John masons coming in on the 23rd of this month.

We have been looking at shipping insurance and have recieved insurance forms from Letton Percival , they are half the price @ 1.53% of most of the shipping companies.

The only concern I have is the proposal form is just a very badly Photocopied piece of A4 paper. which apparently gets stamped and returned and acts as your policy document.

has anyone ever had to claim on a shipping policy , or are they like used car warranties ?

any advice would be welcome.

Ian &
Kath

Hi Ian & Kath

Congrats on the contract exchange...it must be pretty exciting for you now....We were feeling very similar excitement until Monday when our buyer pulled out....

We are also using John Masons, but as we are only taking about 25 cubes we are just going to use their insurance so cant help on that company you are using but I am sure others have in the past. They are bound to be able to help and will post shortly.

Good luck with your move

Hels
xxx
Old Aug 16th 2004, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hels
Hi Ian & Kath

Congrats on the contract exchange...it must be pretty exciting for you now....We were feeling very similar excitement until Monday when our buyer pulled out....

We are also using John Masons, but as we are only taking about 25 cubes we are just going to use their insurance so cant help on that company you are using but I am sure others have in the past. They are bound to be able to help and will post shortly.

Good luck with your move

Hels
xxx

Hi Hels,

sorry to hear about your buyer ,we had a similar situation our first buyer hadn't recieved her money from a divorce settlement , but chose not to tell us untill the day we were due to exchange contracts ..

We had to cancel our flights and the shippers it was a nightmare..

The agents contacted some previous viewers who had just sold there house
and they have bought it.

So keep your chin up, you never know what will happen.

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2004, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ianp,

We had the same concerns about Letton Percival, the paperwork in particular looked very unconvincing. There were also one or two things that they told us that didn't ring true, we questioned a few things on their policies and were told this was standard in Marine shipping insurance policies. Having checked with a couple of other companies we found that these clauses weren't included on any other policies, which ones had Letton Percival seen ?

Have a look at the terms and conditions of your John Mason quote, then compare this to that received from Letton Percival. In my experience insurance companies are very particular about stating what will and will not be covered, Letton Percivals terms and conditions seem very wishy washy by comparison.

Usually you get what you pay for, as we were looking at a lifetimes possesions we didn't feel comfortable with L&P's proposal and we chose to shell out the extra and get cover from our shippers.

Btw I actually rang the marine insurance company that underwrites L&P's business. They were somewhat surprised to hear from me as they don't deal with the public direct. They didn't want to talk to me directly but gave me the number of a broker, which turned out to be Letton Percival.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jerzy
Ianp,

We had the same concerns about Letton Percival, the paperwork in particular looked very unconvincing. There were also one or two things that they told us that didn't ring true, we questioned a few things on their policies and were told this was standard in Marine shipping insurance policies. Having checked with a couple of other companies we found that these clauses weren't included on any other policies, which ones had Letton Percival seen ?

Have a look at the terms and conditions of your John Mason quote, then compare this to that received from Letton Percival. In my experience insurance companies are very particular about stating what will and will not be covered, Letton Percivals terms and conditions seem very wishy washy by comparison.

Usually you get what you pay for, as we were looking at a lifetimes possesions we didn't feel comfortable with L&P's proposal and we chose to shell out the extra and get cover from our shippers.

Btw I actually rang the marine insurance company that underwrites L&P's business. They were somewhat surprised to hear from me as they don't deal with the public direct. They didn't want to talk to me directly but gave me the number of a broker, which turned out to be Letton Percival.

Thanks Jerzy,

I will go with John Masons insurance,

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2004, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian and Kath we had exactly the same doubts about LP insurance I thought it sounded very wishy washy too. I saw that you are in Weybridge small world we are in Chertsey just around the corner, we're off at the end of September, hopefully. As you are only around the corner I wondered if we could be nosey and enquire as to what size container you are shipping and your price from John Masons, we have had GB Liners, PSS and Crown over thus far so would be interested to know more about John Masons, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Good luck with everything.

Lori
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lori&Andy
Ian and Kath we had exactly the same doubts about LP insurance I thought it sounded very wishy washy too. I saw that you are in Weybridge small world we are in Chertsey just around the corner, we're off at the end of September, hopefully. As you are only around the corner I wondered if we could be nosey and enquire as to what size container you are shipping and your price from John Masons, we have had GB Liners, PSS and Crown over thus far so would be interested to know more about John Masons, if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Good luck with everything.

Lori
Hi Lori,

We were going to use PSS there prices were £ 3200 for 20ft and £ 5380 for a 40ft container. John Masons are charging £ 5580 for a 40ft to the sunshine coast. Pss couldn't do the dates we wanted so we went with John Masons who have been very helpful so far.

Where are you off to ?

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2004, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Hi Lori,

We were going to use PSS there prices were £ 3200 for 20ft and £ 5380 for a 40ft container. John Masons are charging £ 5580 for a 40ft to the sunshine coast. Pss couldn't do the dates we wanted so we went with John Masons who have been very helpful so far.

Where are you off to ?

Ian
Hi Ian

Similiar circumstances to you, couldn't get the dates we wanted from PSS and are now going with John Masons (we think!). Trouble is we are due to exchange any day now and have booked JM for 25/26/27th August but because we can't confirm that date yet, they are chasing us everyday. Did this happen to you or did you know your dates quite a way ahead? They say they require 7 full working days notice for change of date and although I can see it from their point of view, this must happen a lot because most people couldn't confirm dates until you've exchanged! It seems to be a catch 22 situation. I'm worried we'll end up with them not being able to do it either!

Sam
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Thorpes
Hi Ian

Similiar circumstances to you, couldn't get the dates we wanted from PSS and are now going with John Masons (we think!). Trouble is we are due to exchange any day now and have booked JM for 25/26/27th August but because we can't confirm that date yet, they are chasing us everyday. Did this happen to you or did you know your dates quite a way ahead? They say they require 7 full working days notice for change of date and although I can see it from their point of view, this must happen a lot because most people couldn't confirm dates until you've exchanged! It seems to be a catch 22 situation. I'm worried we'll end up with them not being able to do it either!

Sam
Hi Sam,

We couldn't confirm dates until we had exchanged contracts, Just keep in touch with the shippers, we have Jm coming in next week.

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Hi Sam,

We couldn't confirm dates until we had exchanged contracts, Just keep in touch with the shippers, we have Jm coming in next week.

Ian
Hi Ian

They are ringing us daily and we have nothing new to tell them, just worried that they are going to say bog off. They were second cheapest to PSS so don't want to lose them.

Good luck with your move, hope John Masons are good

Sam
Old Aug 16th 2004, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Lori&Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lori,

Where are you off to ?

Ian
Hiya,

We're off to the Sunshine Coast Noosaville initially to stay with the parents they went over four years ago primarily based in Melbourne but they have a 'retirement' home in Noosaville. Once we have found jobs we'll move closer to Brisbane more than likely on the coast somewhere. Good luck with everything we're so excited as I am sure you are too