Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping - How Clean is Clean - Tools

Shipping - How Clean is Clean - Tools

Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Default Shipping - How Clean is Clean - Tools

Hi
My hubbie is just packing and cleaning all his tools ( and getting stressed :scared: )

Has anyone taken tools - and plastic cases ie that hold drills that are clean ( he has bleeched them ) but obviously are scratched and show signs of wear and tear??

will these cause us a problem also what about hammers wooden handled etc and electrical things like multi meters which again show signs of wear ??

is it ok to coat spanners etc in wd40 ??

thankyou
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:47 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping - How Clean is Clean - Tools

Originally Posted by coffeebean
Hi
My hubbie is just packing and cleaning all his tools ( and getting stressed :scared: )

Has anyone taken tools - and plastic cases ie that hold drills that are clean ( he has bleeched them ) but obviously are scratched and show signs of wear and tear??

will these cause us a problem also what about hammers wooden handled etc and electrical things like multi meters which again show signs of wear ??

thankyou

Just put them all in the dishwasher...
Old Apr 19th 2006, 6:48 pm
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

Hi,
In the same situation with my hubby's tools . When the man from Crown came to our house he said that they needed to be as clean as you could get them - but he felt that if they were suffering a bit from wear and tear and looked a bit grubby ( even if clean) that they should not have a problem with them cos no-one could expect tools to be perfect and look brand spanking new.

Not sure how this goes down in Oz but that is what he told me
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of lightBookie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

thankyou
Mr.Bookie has spent all week scrubbing his tools
Old Apr 19th 2006, 8:59 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

The guy from Crown told us to get eveything as clean as possible and then wipe everything over with Jeyes Fluid as if AQIS/Customs can smell the "clean" then they are more likely to pass the tools thru with no issues.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

kaka1964 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
The guy from Crown told us to get eveything as clean as possible and then wipe everything over with Jeyes Fluid as if AQIS/Customs can smell the "clean" then they are more likely to pass the tools thru with no issues.
Wear n tear is to be expected....just make sure YOU dont get any dirt on You as you handle them.....then they must still be dirty.....simple!!!

Handy Bob
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:38 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thankyou
Hi

I think it is very wise to make a good effort and make sure everything is clean and I spent hours, even days painting the lawn mower, cleaning tools scrubbing the BBQ, putting 'Back to black' tyre shine on the bike etc etc etc.

Our container arrived last week..... and not one thing was opened or inspected. All they wanted to know about was a child's scooter, was it an electric or one you push along.

It would be typical that if you didn't make the effort and they found it, you'd have an expencive cleaning bill this end, so if you have the time, I think the fact you know everything is clean will be a weight off you mind when the container gets here.... you'll have enough to worry about.

Neil.
Old Apr 19th 2006, 10:43 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bookie
Mr.Bookie has spent all week scrubbing his tools

a clean tool is a happy tool
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

Originally Posted by td1
.... cos no-one could expect tools to be perfect and look brand spanking new.

Not sure how this goes down in Oz but that is what he told me

And if they were new you'd probably get stung on tax for items under 12months old
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

Yes we came through with some and cleaned them with Jeyes fluid, also did my daughters bike. You can smell the disinfection for about a month when you get over here but we had no problems with customs.

Since we have been over here I found out that a person who i work with her husband works in customs, he says that they check tools and all outside equipment, and they have to be clean, but they also smell disinfectant and if it looks clean and smells of disinfectant then there is no problem.

Derek
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:34 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thankyou
I bought a decent set of well-used tools with me and never cleaned them at all. Cleaned the bikes, shovels and spades etc! Never thought of the tools.
Anyway, they released the tools in a cardboard box but held back the plastic tool box saying it needed disinfecting or burning or returning to origin. Cleaning was the cheapest option!

Anyway, summary was, they let the tools through even though they were grubby and well used.

Andrew
Old Apr 20th 2006, 2:59 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I brought my tools over on the plane and declared them at customs , the woman looked at them ( of course i had cleaned them ) and said oh there all well used thats fine .
I think her main concern was if they were new , so she could charge me import duties , but there not so she didn't .
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

LindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really niceLindyLooPot is just really nice

Good Thread Guys

Will Just Print This Off Now And Pass To My Hubby.

Lindyloopot
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Mel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really niceMel n Daz is just really nice

Originally Posted by LindyLooPot
Good Thread Guys

Will Just Print This Off Now And Pass To My Hubby.

Lindyloopot
Here here!!

Saying that, my hubby has been buying new tools to take with us! I think i will tell him to start using them Pronto! Didn't think of the import duties

Melissa
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

[QUOTE=coffeebean]Hi

We have just received all our stuff last weekend from Crown including all hubbies building tools (and there were LOADS! ) and lots of them had signs of wear, esp the metal tools.
He hoovered all sawdust out of them and gave them a light spray with WD40.
We brought loads of tools with wooden handles and had no problems, all the drill bits, bolster chisels etc got thro' again sprayed them with WD40.
They seem more interested in things that have been in the garden, got our strimmer thro OK but did take it apart and took all signs of grass from it. Customs openned the box for the strimmer and box with kids trampoline in so do make sure these are very clean.
Only thing we didn;t risk was bringing the petrol mower as we know of several people who had problems with these.
Crown were very good and told hubbie he was being too fussy!! So don't worry too much I'm sure if you do your best you'll be fine.