Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

Old Mar 27th 2003, 10:36 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

We are off to NZ. We have 2 golden retrievers, many a night in turmoil as to what to do.
A lot of you are saying like we said, if they don't go, we don't go!

Yes we knew it would be expensive, but they're our dogs!

We have decided now, not to take them, as a friend with another 2 retrievers wants to extend her family.

Over the last couple of months & until June when we go, they have been getting accustomed to there new family & home, also with lots of space.
They are doing great, it will be very upsetting when the time comes & i'm not sure if my wife will be able to let them stay, but we know they will have a great time & be spoilt rotten.

We think given the possible flight trauma & the move in general, they will be better off with our friend, plus we will be moving around NZ for a while before we settle & they need a perminent place to settle.

We love our dogs, but they will be fine, I know its not their fault & they have no say in the matter, it's unfortunate,.....for us really, the dogs probably won't give it a second thought!

Good to know though that there will be expat mutts on the other side of the world!
Old Mar 28th 2003, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by garrisondamn
We are off to NZ. We have 2 golden retrievers, many a night in turmoil as to what to do.
A lot of you are saying like we said, if they don't go, we don't go!

Yes we knew it would be expensive, but they're our dogs!

We have decided now, not to take them, as a friend with another 2 retrievers wants to extend her family.

Over the last couple of months & until June when we go, they have been getting accustomed to there new family & home, also with lots of space.
They are doing great, it will be very upsetting when the time comes & i'm not sure if my wife will be able to let them stay, but we know they will have a great time & be spoilt rotten.

We think given the possible flight trauma & the move in general, they will be better off with our friend, plus we will be moving around NZ for a while before we settle & they need a perminent place to settle.

We love our dogs, but they will be fine, I know its not their fault & they have no say in the matter, it's unfortunate,.....for us really, the dogs probably won't give it a second thought!

Good to know though that there will be expat mutts on the other side of the world!
Sounds like a sensible solution as does the one to leave the cat with the owner's dad.

What I meant about dumping them was when people either throw them out, literally, or leave them with dogs' homes where they end up living for months or years as most people don't want older dogs - or cats.

If we go we take our two cats, I AM not going without them, but we also do a lot of agonising over the flight, the quarantine etc. We don't know anybody who'd take them and I don't want them separated, they've been together all their lives, but most importantly, I just wouldn't want to be without them.

But I can see there are reasons why people don't want to or can't take them but if it's done responsibly, making sure they've got a good new home it can be justified, I guess, I suppose, maybe waffle waffle waffle
I just couldn't do it.
Old Mar 28th 2003, 9:03 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by sashimi
Sounds like a sensible solution as does the one to leave the cat with the owner's dad.

What I meant about dumping them was when people either throw them out, literally, or leave them with dogs' homes where they end up living for months or years as most people don't want older dogs - or cats.

If we go we take our two cats, I AM not going without them, but we also do a lot of agonising over the flight, the quarantine etc. We don't know anybody who'd take them and I don't want them separated, they've been together all their lives, but most importantly, I just wouldn't want to be without them.

But I can see there are reasons why people don't want to or can't take them but if it's done responsibly, making sure they've got a good new home it can be justified, I guess, I suppose, maybe waffle waffle waffle
I just couldn't do it.
I know leaving Boris with my dad is the best thing for him. Not sure how I will be over it he is like a baby to me. I spoil him rotten. I think I will go through hell rather than the cat.

A lifetime apart will not be the same as a months holiday apart. ( I can cope for a month ).

I will have to cross the bridge when it comes to it. We need to get the visas yet!

Heres waiting

Jo
Old Mar 28th 2003, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone taken any westies over, bit worried he might get a tan

or will i have to slip slop slap the wee licking dog
Old Mar 29th 2003, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Ross Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping the Dog - Bloody Expensive!

Originally posted by ianduggan5
Be careful when you ship your dog! The size of the container may not be the size that your dogs really needs!

We are just about to exchange on our house and so we are getting everything ready to go, finally! So we asked for quotes from 4 different firms, they were all different, get ready for these prices!

Firm 1: £2606.00
Firm 2: £2902.00
Firm 3: £2889.00
Firm 4: £3400.00

Yep I know bloody expensive! but then our dog is an Old English Mastiff and is the equivalent size of two Great Danes welded down the middle. Also is she cannot go then the rest of the family will not go, so the cheque book is going to get hit hard!

Go with the cheapest yes?

NO!

Whe we started to dig into why so expensive and why so large a difference in price we found out about the size of the kennel to ship the dog in. He is the link to the BA web site that tells you the size of kennel needed http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pet/public/en_
as per the IATA requirements.

The measurements of our dog are

a: 52 inches
b: 20 inches
c: 15 inches
d: 36 inches

Using the formulas on the BA page the kennel size should be

62 inches in length, 30 inches wide and 39 inches long

These were the sizes that the firms offered.

Firm 1: 59 inches long, 23.5 inches wide, 43.75 high
Firm 2: 62 inches long, 26 inches wide, 40 inches high
Firm 3: 65 inches long, 23 inches wide, 38 inches high
Firm 4: 63 inches long, 34 inches wide, 40 inches high

We pushed a bed near a wall to see how wide a gap she needed to turn around in, it had to be at least 30 inches wide. If we went with all but one of these firms she would not have been able to turn around and would have had a very miserable journey.

Guess who is getting our money!
Hello!
Great to hear from true animal lovers! I'm sure your canine companion will be very happy in his new home. Animals cope amazingly well after such a huge move - they just do not see things in our human terms - you have to imagine it from the dog or cat perspective - our two very well loved & spoilt moggies coped better than we could have expected with both the move & settling into their new home!
All the best,
Old Mar 29th 2003, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Haggis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rotorua, NZ Dogs...

Originally posted by sully4441
You callous swine!
You'll be telling us not to take Roo, our pet kanga next!
But seriously, what breeds are common in Aus or NZ for that matter, apart from dingos, and which are the best for dealing with the conditions. Just interested, not taking one anywhere.
LMS
We left our much-loved Springer Spaniel with parents back in Scotland, but having seen the size and number of the hundreds of Rotorua pig dogs (ie for hunting wild boar), I don't think he would have had a very long life expectancy over here - first butt sniffed - he would have been breakfast.......... I'm sure you'll have much better luck with Roo......
haggis