shipping advice

Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:03 am
Just Joined

hectashouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shipping advice

I'd really appreciate some advice! we won't have a whole house full of stuff to move when we go to nz just personal stuff like books, vids, few electrical items like a tv etc, so my question is, is it worth renting part of a container or is there any other (cheaper) way to get it all over there? And how much have people paid for containers?

thanks!

while I'm here, i don't suppose anyone has any idea how long processing times are taking now?since the new skilled migrants cat came in, we aren't sure

ta again
Old Feb 15th 2004, 11:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: shipping advice

Originally posted by hectashouse
I'd really appreciate some advice! we won't have a whole house full of stuff to move when we go to nz just personal stuff like books, vids, few electrical items like a tv etc, so my question is, is it worth renting part of a container or is there any other (cheaper) way to get it all over there? And how much have people paid for containers?

thanks!

while I'm here, i don't suppose anyone has any idea how long processing times are taking now?since the new skilled migrants cat came in, we aren't sure

ta again
I think it is Quite possible to rent half a container.
Many removal companies will give online quotes or at least a rough idea of costs.
I doubt if there is a cheaper way.
This has cropped up before so a search may be useful.

Don't know about process times.

G
Old Feb 15th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

groupage is cheapest way - you only pay for the space you use in the container.
Downsides: you have to wait till the container is full before it is shipped - this may mean your shipment takes twice as long than if you paid for entire container to yourself.
- your goods will be loaded/unloaded several times (house to van to warehouse to container to warehouse to van, etc) so there is more opportunity for damage and theft.

Cant help with specifics on NZ I'm afraid.

Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:29 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Hi hectashouse - we are shipping exactly what you intend to and got Crown Relocations to guve us a quote - they suggested a shared groupage container and quoted £1637 for 280 cubic feet - I beat them down to £1,568 (the nearest other quote we got).

They have a good reputation, as far as I can work out, and do door-to-door and are the same company from start to finish so no blame culture if a box or two goes missing.

The chaps that came to pack us were great - very helpful - nothing too much trouble and luckily found my total lack of organisation funny rather than annoying.

I'll let you know what the service is like in NZ in about three months time!!
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:39 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Have u tried Allied Pickfords? we have been quoted £1700 for 400 cubic feet shared with a 10-12 week door to door delivery from scotland to Oz But they sed would prolly be quicker cos they r such a large company they can get good shipping times

hope this helps
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Pollster
Hi hectashouse - we are shipping exactly what you intend to and got Crown Relocations to guve us a quote - they suggested a shared groupage container and quoted £1637 for 280 cubic feet - I beat them down to £1,568 (the nearest other quote we got).

They have a good reputation, as far as I can work out, and do door-to-door and are the same company from start to finish so no blame culture if a box or two goes missing.

The chaps that came to pack us were great - very helpful - nothing too much trouble and luckily found my total lack of organisation funny rather than annoying.

I'll let you know what the service is like in NZ in about three months time!!

hi to everyone who's replied so far! some really useful advice, thanks

have tried to get some quotes but is diff at the mo 'cos not going til next summer, and really have no idea how much will be taking with us. But £1,600 - £1, 800 isn't too bad..altho combined with the dogs as well takes our relocation bill to about £5,000..eeeek!mayb we could nail the dogs up in a box and sneak them in the container when the removal guys aren't looking?

10-12 weeks isn't too bad either, I can survive that long without my books and dvd's (just!) - is anyone taking electrical stuff like fridge, tv, dvd player etc? wondering if its worth it, and just get loads of adaptors, instead of forking out for all new stuff when we get there?

Last edited by hectashouse; Feb 16th 2004 at 12:43 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:10 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

There is sooooo much previous stuff posted about what to take and what not to take. I am a single bloke and although I have a 3 bed house here in the UK I do not have a ton of crap (so to speak).

I have read loads on here and the general consensus is to ship pretty much all of it. Have a good clear out of course but everything thats left after, pack it and ship it.

It will cost a lot more to replace it than it would to ship it. Think back to when you first got married (assuming you are) and the cost / timescales in getting everything you wanted. Also think of the time it would take to go round all the shops in an alien environment trying to find just what you wanted when you don't know the best shops.

One last thing, don't forget the added cost of insurance on your shipping. You can go without it of course but should the ship sink or your stuff gets damaged then its hand in pocket time. I have previously posted on marine insurance so do a search on my username and you will find a company that is half the cost of the removals companies with better cover.

Almost forgot, I wouldnt bother with the TV unless it is pretty new and can probably be converted. I'm leaving mine and buying a new tv out there. All my other electrical gear I am taking with me.

Oh yeah, and have fun throughout it all.

Ian J

Last edited by ianj; Feb 16th 2004 at 2:13 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:33 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ianj
There is sooooo much previous stuff posted about what to take and what not to take. I am a single bloke and although I have a 3 bed house here in the UK I do not have a ton of crap (so to speak).

I have read loads on here and the general consensus is to ship pretty much all of it. Have a good clear out of course but everything thats left after, pack it and ship it.

It will cost a lot more to replace it than it would to ship it. Think back to when you first got married (assuming you are) and the cost / timescales in getting everything you wanted. Also think of the time it would take to go round all the shops in an alien environment trying to find just what you wanted when you don't know the best shops.

One last thing, don't forget the added cost of insurance on your shipping. You can go without it of course but should the ship sink or your stuff gets damaged then its hand in pocket time. I have previously posted on marine insurance so do a search on my username and you will find a company that is half the cost of the removals companies with better cover.

Almost forgot, I wouldnt bother with the TV unless it is pretty new and can probably be converted. I'm leaving mine and buying a new tv out there. All my other electrical gear I am taking with me.

Oh yeah, and have fun throughout it all.

Ian J

Oh it was you with the insurance chappies - wanted to say thanks as we have gone with them and they are half the price and twice as helpful.

Ta!
Old Feb 16th 2004, 2:39 pm
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah it was me.........maybe I should speak to the insurers and ask for commission.

Glad to be of help at the end of the day
Old Feb 17th 2004, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

DonnaS is an unknown quantity at this point

We used Allied Pickfords to NZ, price was 1750 pounds for 500 cu ft, and it was roughly the same with John Mason, and Doree Bonner ( a bit more expensive ). But I wouldn't use AP ever again - they didn't bring enough packaging material, were obviously over-worked as couldn't go and get any more, and a third of our stuff went in normal storage boxes I'd used for storing - they survived luckily, but are pretty bashed and a bit torn in places. AP were not particularly efficient at either end, but thankfully we have everything, and no damages or loss.

We didn't take insurance after much thought, because there were so many exceptions, particularly on electrical stuff, and we just thought that if we lost everything, well we would take that risk and start again.

With someone like AP and groupage, it won't probably hang around long in the UK, ours didn't - left mid-Oct and arrived Jan 6th. But it then sat on the dockside for weeks in Auckland, with various excuses of MAF having a new system so a backlog etc etc. Eventually we had it delivered last week. AP also wanted to charge us $250 because we live down a steep drive so not suitable for a huge truck - obviously! we insisted they bring a smaller vehicle which they did. You have to be pretty pushy with them because they'll try to sting you for everything!

As to what to take, it depends on how much money you are planning to spend on your new life and whether you are wanting a fresh start with the opportunity or excuse of buying new. We only brought a bit of furniture, and are having to buy new - not cheap, but we wanted to do this anyway. Think about the fact that you will be without your belongings for a few months/weeks depending on when you leave - so you're going to have to buy a bed, things like kettles, iron, and all essentials like that, so there's not much point in taking them. Believe me - you will live without your DVDs etc, and when it all arrives you've forgotten about half of it anyway!

If electrical things are still new I'd take them. Washing machines are twice the price of the UK (front-loaders at least) here in NZ, so if yours is still going strong then take it.

It's nice to open boxes and find things from home, but actually I'm also pleased (despite the scary prospect of spending loads of money) to be able to buy lots of new stuff - new life, new things. Depends on how rich you're feeling.

enough waffle, it's probably confused you even more!
Old Feb 19th 2004, 10:17 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by DonnaS
We used Allied Pickfords to NZ, price was 1750 pounds for 500 cu ft, and it was roughly the same with John Mason, and Doree Bonner ( a bit more expensive ). But I wouldn't use AP ever again - they didn't bring enough packaging material, were obviously over-worked as couldn't go and get any more, and a third of our stuff went in normal storage boxes I'd used for storing - they survived luckily, but are pretty bashed and a bit torn in places. AP were not particularly efficient at either end, but thankfully we have everything, and no damages or loss.

We didn't take insurance after much thought, because there were so many exceptions, particularly on electrical stuff, and we just thought that if we lost everything, well we would take that risk and start again.

With someone like AP and groupage, it won't probably hang around long in the UK, ours didn't - left mid-Oct and arrived Jan 6th. But it then sat on the dockside for weeks in Auckland, with various excuses of MAF having a new system so a backlog etc etc. Eventually we had it delivered last week. AP also wanted to charge us $250 because we live down a steep drive so not suitable for a huge truck - obviously! we insisted they bring a smaller vehicle which they did. You have to be pretty pushy with them because they'll try to sting you for everything!

As to what to take, it depends on how much money you are planning to spend on your new life and whether you are wanting a fresh start with the opportunity or excuse of buying new. We only brought a bit of furniture, and are having to buy new - not cheap, but we wanted to do this anyway. Think about the fact that you will be without your belongings for a few months/weeks depending on when you leave - so you're going to have to buy a bed, things like kettles, iron, and all essentials like that, so there's not much point in taking them. Believe me - you will live without your DVDs etc, and when it all arrives you've forgotten about half of it anyway!

If electrical things are still new I'd take them. Washing machines are twice the price of the UK (front-loaders at least) here in NZ, so if yours is still going strong then take it.

It's nice to open boxes and find things from home, but actually I'm also pleased (despite the scary prospect of spending loads of money) to be able to buy lots of new stuff - new life, new things. Depends on how rich you're feeling.

enough waffle, it's probably confused you even more!

hi donna,

thanks for the message, it makes a lot of sense - we actually realised last night that when we got there we'd have to buy some stuff - didn't really occur to me before that we'd have nothin to sleep on, cook with etc mr HH reckons we should sleep on the floor, eat with our hands etc but I ain't havin that!

besides, has anyone looked at the post re EOI?? apparently, the first apps have been drawn this week and the points threshold has been set at 195!!! crazy.. at this rate, we won't even be goin to nz

someone has mentioned that these initial batches might be people already living and working in nz and the points might come down when they begin processing apps from outside nz, so is watch this space I suppose