Shipping

Old Apr 5th 2004, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default Shipping

Pickfords coming a week on Tuesday to start packing. Has anyone had any experience with Pickfords ? They say that they take 34 days sailing time - has anyone experienced this - was it longer ? (My boys will desperately want they skateboards!)

Also customs clearance, what were approx. costs for inspection/treatments. Its seems Pickfords don't have this information.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping

Originally posted by surfdude
Pickfords coming a week on Tuesday to start packing. Has anyone had any experience with Pickfords ? They say that they take 34 days sailing time - has anyone experienced this - was it longer ? (My boys will desperately want they skateboards!)

Also customs clearance, what were approx. costs for inspection/treatments. Its seems Pickfords don't have this information.

I've got my pickfords stuff here. customs inspection fee is a miniumum of $155 AUD.....
Most people I have read about have been happy with them... let us know how the packing goes, I need to hurry up and book them really!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your response, just so you are aware (if its not too late) Pickfords are definately not the cheapest, but I got them to price match my middle price (a drop of £450.00) and they were quite flexible on the insurance too ! I wanted the quickest sailing time, Pickfords (say they) pre-book vessels, put the containers in the ships hull and have the shortest sailing times (34 days). Will let you know if the glossy lives up to real life, if I can - they may pack the computer first !
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:02 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your response, just so you are aware (if its not too late) Pickfords are definately not the cheapest, but I got them to price match my middle price (a drop of £450.00) and they were quite flexible on the insurance too ! I wanted the quickest sailing time, Pickfords (say they) pre-book vessels, put the containers in the ships hull and have the shortest sailing times (34 days). Will let you know if the glossy lives up to real life, if I can - they may pack the computer first !
Just tell them to bugger off and you need the comp to tell us all how good they are lol

We chose Pickfords too, havent used them yet tho, so will be interested to see how you go
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

we had about 75 cubic feet and they quoted us £500... that was the cheapest! The next excess-baggage at just under £600 and the most was £945..... the guy who quoted us knew what we were looking for and dropped £200 off his original quote.... just looked shocked and dumb at the same time and it helps get the price down!
I rang them up today to book a date for removalists. Only 6 weeks notice and I got the day I wanted - so far so good!!! Let us know how things goes with you other customers
Old Apr 5th 2004, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

vivalasvegan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi... We travel on 16th October to Melbourne. Having a nightmare deciding what to take but then working out how much space the stuff takes up, which box size is which etc seems like an impossibile conundrum... Out of interest, who was the cheapest? We are on a tight budget.... Did your expectations of the space over or underestimate the reality??
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by vivalasvegan
Hi... We travel on 16th October to Melbourne. Having a nightmare deciding what to take but then working out how much space the stuff takes up, which box size is which etc seems like an impossibile conundrum... Out of interest, who was the cheapest? We are on a tight budget.... Did your expectations of the space over or underestimate the reality??
Hi vivalasvegan - and welcome to the forum!

Estimating volume (and therefore cost) is difficult. I would suggest contacting some of the shipping agents (a search on this forum will reveal some of the popular agents - Pickfords, John Mason etc).

I found them to be very helpful. You could request a no-obligation quote which will involve someone visiting your house to estimate the volume. You could then take it from there deciding what to dump or what to add.

Common advice on here (regardless of whether cost is an issue)is take as much as you can. Having made the move recently, I'd certainly endorse that advice. Do a search on here and see what you find.....
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi, we have a moderate 4 bed house and even though we have dumped quite a lot of stuff, we knew it was about a 20ft container. I got three quotes, Pcc (use search for details), the cheapest at £2900 for a 20ft with 2.5% insurance and local International Removals £3090 with 3.5% insurance.

Having just completed the Insurance forms, I can honestly say what a rip off. Anything you would want to be insured for is double the original fee ! Mould and mildew/electrical ceasement. The only things you are really insuring yourself for is if the boat sinks ! Then they only give you an average on your original value - is it worth it !
Old Apr 6th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

How did it go with Pickfords Surfdude?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Hi, we have a moderate 4 bed house and even though we have dumped quite a lot of stuff, we knew it was about a 20ft container. I got three quotes, Pcc (use search for details), the cheapest at £2900 for a 20ft with 2.5% insurance and local International Removals £3090 with 3.5% insurance.

Having just completed the Insurance forms, I can honestly say what a rip off. Anything you would want to be insured for is double the original fee ! Mould and mildew/electrical ceasement. The only things you are really insuring yourself for is if the boat sinks ! Then they only give you an average on your original value - is it worth it !

Lots of people on here have used Merseyside Insurance Services for insurance @ 1.53%

Do a search and check them out
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jasper pentop
How did it go with Pickfords Surfdude?

They don't start packing until the 13th and finished on the 15th - if I can I will let you know.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by young_lad
Hi vivalasvegan - and welcome to the forum!

Estimating volume (and therefore cost) is difficult. I would suggest contacting some of the shipping agents (a search on this forum will reveal some of the popular agents - Pickfords, John Mason etc).

I found them to be very helpful. You could request a no-obligation quote which will involve someone visiting your house to estimate the volume. You could then take it from there deciding what to dump or what to add.

Common advice on here (regardless of whether cost is an issue)is take as much as you can. Having made the move recently, I'd certainly endorse that advice. Do a search on here and see what you find.....
Thanks for that...

You have fanned the flames of an arguement between me and the wife as I thought taking less would be the wisest move while she thinks we should take everything that is decent... Looks like she may be right ( I won't tell her that of course). We will have to contact more shipping companies before we make a decision, the problem being that if it is cheap we may take more stuff... Problems problems...

Cheers for now...
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Hi Surfdude...

That sounds really reasonable... We won't be taking that much by a long chalk yet the quotes seem to be near to your mark... Are you taking furniture, electricals etc? Would you suggest taking a chance and not insuring it all then? The stuff isn't that crash hot anyway if the truth was told...

Cheers mate...
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:55 am
Just Joined

notts to perth is an unknown quantity at this point

We are at day 50 since we waved good bye to our load in Nottingham. Not had word yet of its arrival in WA. When it reaches Freo it then depends on custom clearance as to when we get it delivered..anything from 14 working days to 35. Some people have waited 12 weeks door to door (see earlier posts). We have been advised over here by Pickfords that as long as there are no problems then the customs fee will be $370.
Pickfords were very well organised and courteuos back in the Uk so I'd recommend them from our experience.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi Surfdude...

That sounds really reasonable... We won't be taking that much by a long chalk yet the quotes seem to be near to your mark... Are you taking furniture, electricals etc? Would you suggest taking a chance and not insuring it all then? The stuff isn't that crash hot anyway if the truth was told...

Cheers mate...

We are taking all of the furniture, no white goods or TV's, nor are we taking the double mattress', as apparently they do not travel well.

We have underinsured - it is not worth doubling our premium, it seems which ever way you try to insure for the 'true worth' there is some small print telling you, if they have to pay out, you will only get what they deem an average of your total value. Our true value is about £30k - only put on form £15200k and not listed items like CDs, toys ect. The premium for this small amount, with electrical derangement (this means if water gets in the electrical components) for the computer only,is approx £550.00. I was unhappy paying that - because you know in your heart of hearts it is a rip off !

Its a personal opinion I suppose but if the boat does sink the only true possessions of value are photos/kids pictures/school work ect and no amount of money can replace those. Lets hope its a liner in good condition with a captain without a drink problem !

When I can, I will let you know how it goes - wish us luck - they start packing on the 13th.