Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

medicare while on temporary visa

medicare while on temporary visa

Old Apr 6th 2004, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point
Default medicare while on temporary visa

I think I know the naswer, but can one have medicare while on temporary visa or is it necessary to have PR?

cheers
Old Apr 6th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: medicare while on temporary visa

Originally posted by Sunny spells
I think I know the naswer, but can one have medicare while on temporary visa or is it necessary to have PR?

cheers

I'd like to know too! I am thinking that on a temp visa u might be able to - ie provisional spouse etc....
And also, how do you apply for it? Ie get your medicare card?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I can only answer from my own experience - a Prospective Spouse Visa gets you a medicare card, valid for the time the visa is valid. Now I have a temp residence spouse visa, I can go back and register again, and get a new card with a new expiry date.
All I took with me was my passport, copy of the visa grant letter and my UK NHS card, and I did it about a week after arriving - takes that long for the DIMIA visa details to reach the medicare computer apparently!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

davidw is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes my spouse (on spouse visa) got it with no problem. The only difference is I got it for five years, she for the two years of her temp visa. There was NO difficulty, took minutes, all computerized.

Cheers

David
Old Apr 6th 2004, 12:19 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Some temporary visa holders are certainly entitled to Medicare.
I am not sure if all are.
Retirement (410) visas are not.
Best bet is to check the conditions of your visa on the DIMIA site:
www.immi.gov.au
For those who don't know.

G
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

answer from immi.gov.au

You are eligible to enrol for Medicare if you are living in Australia and:
 have been granted permanent resident status; or

have applied for certain permanent resident visas, and you:
 hold a valid visa with permission to work in Australia; or
 hold a valid visa and your parent, spouse or child is an
Australian citizen; or
 hold a valid visa and your parent, spouse or child is the holder of permanent
resident status.

You might not be eligible for Medicare if you:
 have a current parent visa application being considered; or
 have a current application for a protection visa and have previously applied for a parent
visa.
If you have a temporary prospective marriage visa (fiance�subclass 300), you are not
eligible for Medicare until you have had an application for a permanent resident visa
accepted by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs.

... so, unless you have applied for PR, if it is two non australian citizen you are not elegible while on the temporary visa ...
right?

cheers
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

I am on a temporary visa and have a medicare card that says on it for "necessary treatment" only but i have had routine Drs visits and check ups and been reimbursed through medicare
Mandy
Old Apr 6th 2004, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Mandyisere
I am on a temporary visa and have a medicare card that says on it for "necessary treatment" only but i have had routine Drs visits and check ups and been reimbursed through medicare
Mandy

Mandy

the question is
have you applyed for PR or is your spouse Australian or PR holder?

thanks
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

No i haven't applied for my PR and i haven't got a spouse. I just went to medicare office with my passport and visa and they sent me the medicare card.
last week went Drs and had a routine mammogram for $120 and got $95 back off medicare
Mandy
Old Apr 6th 2004, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

thanks Mandy

appreciated.

see you in melbourne... hopefully..!
Old Apr 6th 2004, 3:33 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

thanks Mandy

appreciated.

see you in melbourne... hopefully..!

I did a 12 month working holiday in Australia and got medicare, it didnt cover me for 'extra things' though, such as my Dive Medical and some lab tests I had done.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

cheers
try medicare's Reciprocal Health Care Agreements

( if you are non PR - yes you can claim off Medicare) A few years back I was on a business visa - I actually had an accident - was hosptilised and visted various doctors ( hospital was free - doctors I just went into a local Medicare branch with my doctors receipts and passport and claimed most of the money back - can't remember the %)

The Australian Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with the governments of the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Malta and Italy which entitles you to limited subsidised health services for immediately necessary treatment while visiting Australia.

If you applied for or received Subclass Visa 410 (Retiree Visa) prior to 1 December 1998 you may apply to participate in the Medicare program under the RHCA of your home country. If you applied for Subclass Visa 410 on or after 1 December 1998 you are not eligible for enrolment in the Medicare program and are not eligible under the RHCA.

Period of cover
If you are a resident of the United Kingdom, Sweden, Finland, Norway or the Netherlands you are covered for the duration of your approved visit to Australia.

As a resident of Malta or Italy you are covered for a period of six months from the date you arrive in Australia.

Access to cover
Reciprocal health care agreements cover treatment that is immediately necessary. Immediately necessary treatment means any ill-health or injury which occurs while you are in Australia and requires treatment before you return home. There may be some instances where, before you can gain access to Medicare benefits in Australia, you will need to show written proof from the treating doctor that a particular treatment was immediately necessary.

Your entitlements
As a resident of one of these countries you are entitled to the following for any ill-health or injury requiring immediate treatment while in Australia:

free treatment as a public in-patient or outpatient in a public hospital
subsidised medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
Medicare benefits for out-of-hospital medical treatment provided by doctors through private surgeries and community health centres.

Enrolling in Medicare
If you will be receiving treatment you can enrol at Medicare offices throughout Australia. If you receive treatment before you enrol, Medicare benefits will be back paid for eligible visitors.

To enrol in Medicare you will need:

your passport with a valid visa
to provide, in some cases, identification showing you are enrolled in your country’s national health scheme (for example, a national health service card or similar certificate).
If your application to enrol in Medicare is approved, you will receive an Australian reciprocal health care card in the mail.

Treatment outside a hospital
You can receive medical treatment through private doctors’ surgeries and community health centres. Doctors at these practices charge for their services in one of the following ways:

The doctor bills Medicare directly
You will be asked to show your reciprocal health care card and sign a completed Medicare bulk bill form after seeing the doctor. You will not need to pay anything and will not need to make a claim from Medicare. Please note that not all Australian doctors in private practice bulk bill.

The doctor gives you a bill
Doctors who do not bulk bill will require you to pay the amount at the time of consultation. In this case you can pay the full bill on the spot or lodge the unpaid bill with Medicare.

To pay the full bill on the spot you can:

http://www.hic.gov.au/yourhealth/ser...alta_italy.htm
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sub class 309ers (provisional spouse) are entitled to Medicare because they are applying for PR.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:46 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I am on a 457 temporay 4 year visa and have "immediatley necessary" although this has covered my wife's eye examination when she decided she wanted a new pair of glasses.

I forgot to bring my NHS card to Oz but this didn't matter (though suggest you do bring it) and all that was needed was passports at the Medicare office.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jayr

I forgot to bring my NHS card to Oz but this didn't matter (though suggest you do bring it) and all that was needed was passports at the Medicare office.
Didn't show mine either, and they never asked for it in the medicare office - my Brit passport was enough. But I suppose if it says that in the reciprocal act -it is wise to bring the card with you.. just in case you get someone behind the counter who is a "stickler" for the rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.