Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:57 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Can any of you give me an idea of costs you paid for shipping, size of container etc. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Karen
I cant remember the total cost, a few thousand but depends on how much you have to take and where you are going, we shared a container just two of us and OH took all his tools. It goes on volume not weight. You can get free quotes or get an online estimate. We used PS Removals

http://www.pssremovals.com/volumeeffects.php
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:36 pm
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by garyp
I stress myself out at moment just thinking about it but it could be a reality soon so I need to make a decision.
I would like some advice from those of you who have gone through this.
If I ship my furniture out to Queensland how did you manage in UK before you left for OZ? I will probably be letting my house out due to current market so will probably not be tied to sale of house.
Been told shipment will take approx 16 weeks so how did you manage when you arrived in Oz? Do you buy the essentials until your furniture arrives when you find a rental? Do you stay with family/friends? do you pay for furnished holiday rental which will be expensive as time goes on.
Or do you buy everything when you get there and maybe just ship boxes out?
really confused how everything will fall into place. Do I go a couple of weeks before i start my job to sort everything without income or do i try and sort things while i work?
someone help me please
Thanks for all the updates - really helps all of us who are looking to follow in your footsteps. Any guidance regarding garden tools, hose reels, pushbikes etc...?
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BB and LG
Thanks for all the updates - really helps all of us who are looking to follow in your footsteps. Any guidance regarding garden tools, hose reels, pushbikes etc...?
Take them all. Just clean them well. We did not bring mowers but I did bring garden tools, strimmer, garden hose, bikes etc and all were well cleaned (jet washed) and did not provide any issues at all. The only thing I did not clean was the jet wash itself and that was fine too...

For costs, for us a 40ft sole use container (large 5 bed house though) in Jan of this year was £6,500 all up. Plus $90 to destroy a tub of $2 fish food because they needed to justify their costs at AQIS.

HTH
Old Sep 11th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for some good comments.
is it easy to find a fully furnished for a short while until your furniture arrives?
gary
Old Sep 11th 2009, 7:36 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

You can try and stay in a holiday home? They usually take short term lets.. I know some people who stayed in one for a couple of weeks until their container arrived..

Personally, I wouldnt bother.. once you are in your rental you can go and buy a couple of cheap blow up beds and perhaps some fold away chairs etc etc from Big W.. I still buy all my fans from garage sales and 2nd hand stores..

Its actually quite a fun experience just living on the basics until your container arrives.. and then when you unwrap all your furniture and stuff its like having loads of Christmas presents that you really really want! lol!

Em x