Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light
Default TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

I stress myself out at moment just thinking about it but it could be a reality soon so I need to make a decision.
I would like some advice from those of you who have gone through this.
If I ship my furniture out to Queensland how did you manage in UK before you left for OZ? I will probably be letting my house out due to current market so will probably not be tied to sale of house.
Been told shipment will take approx 16 weeks so how did you manage when you arrived in Oz? Do you buy the essentials until your furniture arrives when you find a rental? Do you stay with family/friends? do you pay for furnished holiday rental which will be expensive as time goes on.
Or do you buy everything when you get there and maybe just ship boxes out?
really confused how everything will fall into place. Do I go a couple of weeks before i start my job to sort everything without income or do i try and sort things while i work?
someone help me please
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TO SHIP OR NOT TO SHIP, THAT IS THE QUESTION?

Take the lot!!! We are also going to Queensland (Brissy) we are staying with friends for a couple of weeks and they will help us out (fingers x).

Send stuff out a cple of days before you leave, (good excuse to eat out)

We are using Simpsons they told us 8 to 10 weeks. You'll manage. Try and rent a fully furnished place for a few weeks.

We have already done it once so second time around for us. You can buy stuff from Crazy Clarkes and Target will keep you going.

Good luck.

Kath
Old Sep 9th 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for support
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:16 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

if its in good nick and you use it take it, remember everything you use that you leave behind has to be replaced, even down to the silly things like the veggie peeler and coat hangers! amazing the cost of replacing stuff

furnished places can be harder to find also might not be able to get a short term rent, we fell lucky and found a private rental for 3 months but mostly here in Tas anyway they seem to be 6 month contracts.

otherwise you could buy outdoor settings, picinicware etc and use it inside until your stuff arrives also try garage sales
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We've shipped everything. Took exactly 9 weeks. Left our house in UK on 6th July and was unpacked here on Tuesday past. Overspill still to come.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Tearose will become famous soon enoughTearose will become famous soon enough

I used Seven Sea's Worldwide - fully recommend them very efficient - anyway mine only took 6 weeks ! i mainly bought personal stuff, excuse for new furniture
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

We brought everything with us and boy am I glad we did. We've still had to buy some stuff (new tv units etc) but it would be rather expensive if you bought everything here, let alone a righ royal pain. You don't know which shops sells the good stuff or not until you've been here a while either. We were advised to bring everything and from our point of view, it was great advice.
We rented a fully furnished property for a month once we got here and managed on air beds etc until the stuff arrived. We sent it 3 weeks before us too so didn't have too long to wait once we were here. Good luck but am sure it will all work out for you.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with previous posters, bring as much as you can, it would cost a fortune to replace both in money and time when you first arrive. Shipping takes about 10 weeks (give or take a couple) and if you've got friends and family close by in the UK then I would send your stuff as early as possible and beg and borrow from them for your last couple of months at home then hopefully when you move to your rental over here should be about the same time as your container.

Good luck!

Last edited by desperatehousewife; Sep 10th 2009 at 3:55 am. Reason: sp as usual!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
I agree with previous posters, bring as much as you can, it would cost a fortune to replace both in money and time when you first arrive. Shipping takes about 10 weeks (give or take a couple) and if you've got friends and family close by in the UK then I would send your stuff as early as possible and beg and borrow from them for your last couple of months at home then hopefully when you move to your rental over here should be about the same time as your container.

Good luck!
Another vote - take everything as everything will work. Except Braun coffee machine that uses pods as they do not sell them here, and UK digital radios also do not work. Everything else does....
Old Sep 10th 2009, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Another vote - take everything as everything will work. Except Braun coffee machine that uses pods as they do not sell them here, and UK digital radios also do not work. Everything else does....
excellent point possums ... we were like the good fairies giving away stuff even though we were shipping and now i think ... what did we do that for?!
Old Sep 10th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Would agree with everyone else bring everything, you can always replace things when necessary and depending on finance. It is very expensive to start from fresh and rebuild everything again. We have been here nearly four years and noticed at the weekend that we left something as simple as a large hose on a reel, and just to replace something like that is not cheap, just the little things soon add up. The cost of shipping things over is so much cheaper than buying all new good, luck with everything
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto. It's expensive and time consuming to start up again and you'll struggle to replace with equivalent quality. I've been here a year and I'm still replacing stuff in dribs and drabs which is downright annoying! Pack it all, you won't regret it one bit.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi yeah having been thru this process, I would say if its worth keeping ship it. It's not just about replacing things but it also gives you familiar stuff around you when 'everything else' is new. It worked for us.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Yep, agree with everyone else - ship everything decent. It's like Christmas when it arrives the other end and really helps having your familiar things round you. IMO better to ship early from the UK (ours left 6 weeks before we flew out) and we lived on airbeds and the bare basics until we left. Stayed in a cheap motel when we arrived in Oz and then our stuff arrived not long after we moved into our rental. My top tip would be to buy the plug adaptors on ebay for your electrical items - we got a 10 pack for £1.50, bargain. It's personal preference obviously but IMO you'd be better to arrive a few weeks before you start work to acclimatise and recover from jet lag etc. Lots of boring things like sorting out your drivers license, medicare, bank etc can only be done weekdays so tricky to do if you're working.

Last edited by SamSi; Sep 10th 2009 at 12:59 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough

Can any of you give me an idea of costs you paid for shipping, size of container etc. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.