Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ship Car Across to Oz?

Ship Car Across to Oz?

Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice
Default Ship Car Across to Oz?

Morning,

Has anyone actually shipped their car to Oz when they emigrated and if so, how much did this cost? My hubbie's very attached to his BMW (altho' it's fairly old!), but said depending on cost, he'd consider selling this, buying a newer version and bringing that with us. Seems like a lot of hassle to me, but then I'm not particularly bothered what I drive, as long as it gets me from A to B!

Sus
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Ship Car Across to Oz?

Hello

My folks have an old Audi (about 13) and as it is a European car is costs about $1000 every time to get it serviced. So taking an old BMW may not be such a good idea unless it is a vintage or very sentimental.

As for buying a new one I believe that unless the car is owned for a minimum of 12 months that you are not entitled to the reduced rates of duty and would therefore be paying full duty and luxury taxes on the new vehicle, as well as the transport costs.

Have you looked into what the equivalent BMW would cost in Aus? Try

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/

you can search specific states / all states / all models etc.

Servicing Euro cars in Aus can be a very expensive exercise. Have you thought of some of the top-of-the range Japanese cars? Just a thought
Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Jim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really niceJim&Sus is just really nice

Thanks for the link - will get Jim to take a look see, altho' I bet when he reads about the full duty and luxury taxes, he'll change his mind about taking car across.

Sus
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

This website http://www.karmanshipping.com/australia/australia.html under "IS IT WORTHWHILE SHIPPING YOUR CAR?" has an Excel spreadsheet calculator which you can use to determine the potential saving, if any. May need to adjust the exchange rate on it I think, 2.4 is a bit high. N.B. I have no idea whether these shippers are any good or not.

As previously stated, you cannot import a car to Oz unless you have owned it for at least 12 months, or it was manufactured before 1/1/1989.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Storini
This website http://www.karmanshipping.com/australia/australia.html under "IS IT WORTHWHILE SHIPPING YOUR CAR?" has an Excel spreadsheet calculator which you can use to determine the potential saving, if any. May need to adjust the exchange rate on it I think, 2.4 is a bit high. N.B. I have no idea whether these shippers are any good or not.

As previously stated, you cannot import a car to Oz unless you have owned it for at least 12 months, or it was manufactured before 1/1/1989.
Hi - I spoke to Karman shipping and they were great - they did all the calculations and worked out a cut off sale prices. If my car would sell for £x000 or more it was worth selling and if less it was worth taking. We talked about shipping other stuff with the car and the fact you had to get it in valeted condition and car washed to Essex.

It helped a great deal - I managed to sell the car 4 days before leaving for £400 more than the cut-off and felt less downheartened than I would have otherwise for a very poor sale price.

Give them a go - very helpful and no worries if you decide not to use them.