British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shampoo! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shampoo-591847/)

tamaja Feb 16th 2009 4:41 am

Shampoo!

Wife wants to know if its okay to ship loads of her favorite shampoo and other cosmetic products?? Thanks.

Pollyana Feb 16th 2009 7:32 am

Re: Shampoo!

Originally Posted by tamaja (Post 7290830)
Wife wants to know if its okay to ship loads of her favorite shampoo and other cosmetic products?? Thanks.

Yep :)

MartinH Feb 16th 2009 8:07 am

You ought to because they don't sell shampoo in Australia

CDM Feb 16th 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7291204)
Yep :)

Hope that also appliues to chocolate, bar soap, vinegar and several other products I'm hoping to fill several boxes with.

- CDM

alipally Feb 16th 2009 8:44 am

Really wouldn't put chocolate in the container.....

It gets pretty hot along the way!!;)

They sell vinegar here too you know. Even Sarsons, if you really need a brand.

CDM Feb 16th 2009 9:08 am

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 7291422)
Really wouldn't put chocolate in the container.....

It gets pretty hot along the way!!;)

They sell vinegar here too you know. Even Sarsons, if you really need a brand.

Doesn't chocolate get shipped abroad by container ordinarily anyway (pretty much like every other consumer product known to man)? Why would it be any different in a removal container?

- CDM

asher Feb 16th 2009 9:38 am

Originally Posted by tamaja (Post 7290830)

yes

she may find she can buy them here and save shipping costs but some types aren't available such as pantene ice shine although all other pantene products are :thumbsup:

natalieml Feb 16th 2009 9:54 am

You know in Australia its still in the 1920's :blink::rofl::rofl::blink:

So my brother told me via telegram.....:p

Notts_bloke Feb 16th 2009 10:48 am

Originally Posted by natalieml (Post 7291619)
You know in Australia its still in the 1920's :blink::rofl::rofl::blink:

So my brother told me via telegram.....:p

No it is definately still the 80s over here.

Dorothy Feb 16th 2009 10:52 am

They sell shampoo, conditioner, bars of soap, vinegar, chocolate, and all the other assorted stuff people are asking about here in Australia. Why people feel the need to fill a container with things they can get here is beyond me. Won't you eventually have to get used to the Australian version if you plan to live here permanently? Of do you intend to have your shampoo/soap/chocolate/vinegar shipped over for the rest of your life?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but it always confounds me.

spartacus Feb 16th 2009 10:55 am

Originally Posted by CDM (Post 7291484)
Doesn't chocolate get shipped abroad by container ordinarily anyway (pretty much like every other consumer product known to man)?

- CDM

Yes but that doesn't count.

ponyrama Feb 16th 2009 1:20 pm

Tea Bags! Ship Tea Bags. Loads of em. You will thank me. If you dont drink tea - ship them anyway and send them to me. :rofl:

Seriously the tea bags here are gash. And its not the water either. I had a box of PG Tips brought over by a friend from a recent trip back to UK and I tell you what........that first proper cuppa......aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!:cool:

slipshot Feb 16th 2009 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 7292106)
Tea Bags! Ship Tea Bags. Loads of em. You will thank me. If you dont drink tea - ship them anyway and send them to me. :rofl:

Seriously the tea bags here are gash. And its not the water either. I had a box of PG Tips brought over by a friend from a recent trip back to UK and I tell you what........that first proper cuppa......aaaaaahhhhhhhhh!:cool:

Ah - but according to Dorothy you should accept low grade tea because you are living in Australia now...

It confounds me why people think that moving to another country means you have to give up every single thing that you possible could and embrace everything about that new country. If that really was the case, the English would have a single dish of fish and chips and curry would not exist.

Why one earth should people not have their creature comforts?

Guess what - I''m bringing over Colmans mustard because you can buy English mustard here but I prefer the taste of Colmans. Am I thus someone who knows that postage is cheap, and the internet is your very best friend...?

To the same extent, do we extent the thousands of Aus ex-pats in the UK to only ever eat Marmite (irrespective of the fact you can buy Vegemite, Marmite is far more widely available).

I'll ship over whatever I think. There are many new products I will adopt here, but there are others that don;t taste the same - and decent chocolate is one of them...

jimmyd4006 Feb 16th 2009 5:01 pm

was in my local Coles today, don't go there very often but they have a new British section, but not cheap !! I'd bring all your favorites with you, and imo Aldi have the best chocolate in oz :thumbsup:

watford Feb 16th 2009 5:03 pm

i have seen pg tips tea in the shops over here. There are lots of english shops around.

Even coles have started stocking an international range now,I brought lyles golden treacle and tunnucks caramel buscuits ,robertsons lemon barley Even Mcvities jaffa cakes,hobnobs and digestives. Fray bentos corned beef ect
I have a friend here who sends our milky ways back to the uk because they are much nicer here

ABCDiamond Feb 16th 2009 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by slipshot (Post 7292163)
Guess what - I''m bringing over Colmans mustard because you can buy English mustard here but I prefer the taste of Colmans.

You can get Colman's Original English Mustard 170g here, but it is $8.25.

As far as Tea bags are concerned, try the Dilmah, Lipton and Madura brands, some say they are much better than the British ones.

Shipping for some people can be expensive, and when you can buy most things here anyway, it is worth checking out if the saving, if any, is actually worth it.

ray2gill Feb 16th 2009 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by ponyrama (Post 7292106)

No you can get Tetley British Blend tea bags now which make a good strong cuppa - not the usual Nats pee, also British Baked Beans. the sauce is thicker

ray2gill Feb 16th 2009 5:45 pm

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7292567], you can buy most things here anyway,

You can even get Marmite here but it's not called that - OUR MATE:thumbsup:

It's the same but obviously made for the OZ market as it isn't quite as salty but better than Vegemite - but then anythings better than Vegemite.

Vanessa Feb 16th 2009 5:49 pm

the OP was asking a simple question and most of you got facetious when there was no need to. The question was not "can she get them in Aus' but 'can she ship them"

Maybe she can get the shampoo she uses maybe not, maybe it is cheaper where she is coming from, the same for the cosmetics. I get my relies and friends to bring over Yorkshire Tea Bags, is that wrong as you can get them here but they are much more expensive. When I go abroad I pick up my make up duty free and in bulk because it is cheaper.

We are all so much more superior when we have lived here for a while!

ABCDiamond Feb 16th 2009 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill (Post 7292582)

You can even get Marmite here but it's not called that - OUR MATE:thumbsup:

It's the same but obviously made for the OZ market as it isn't quite as salty but better than Vegemite - but then anythings better than Vegemite.

And here it is http://www.britzinoz.com/images/ourmate.jpg

ABCDiamond Feb 16th 2009 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 7292591)

I think that with experience of living here, it helps to let others know that some of these things can actually be obtained here. I don't think that people feel superior about it.

Vanessa Feb 16th 2009 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7292596)
I think that with experience of living here, it helps to let others know that some of these things can actually be obtained here. I don't think that people feel superior about it.

I agree and that is why the site is useful and I still post, however, that was not the case with this thread. They didn't ask if you could get a particular brand of shampoo or cosmetics here just can she put them in the container. In that regard a simple yes would have sufficed or even if you wanted to be helpful ask what brand she uses and also let her know that it can/not be bought here. Much more helpful I would have thought.

jayr Feb 16th 2009 6:07 pm

To be fair it seems there was one response along the lines of "do because they don;t sell shampoo here" which while perhaps not useful is not offensive. There was later a post by a moderator questioning generically why people don;t just get on with brands here. The rets of the posts seemed more devoted to preferences for particular brands so at best two posts were "negative".

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 7292591)
the OP was asking a simple question and most of you got facetious when there was no need to. The question was not "can she get them in Aus' but 'can she ship them"

Maybe she can get the shampoo she uses maybe not, maybe it is cheaper where she is coming from, the same for the cosmetics. I get my relies and friends to bring over Yorkshire Tea Bags, is that wrong as you can get them here but they are much more expensive. When I go abroad I pick up my make up duty free and in bulk because it is cheaper.

Dorothy Feb 16th 2009 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 7292621)
To be fair it seems there was one response along the lines of "do because they don;t sell shampoo here" which while perhaps not useful is not offensive. There was later a post by a moderator questioning generically why people don;t just get on with brands here. The rets of the posts seemed more devoted to preferences for particular brands so at best two posts were "negative".

There was not a post by a moderator. There was a post by a member. Read my post and you'll see it is MY opinion. How is that negative? Is it negative to suggest that people assimilate when they migrate?

jayr Feb 16th 2009 6:16 pm

Accepted that you posted as a member (though the fine line between you being a different person when moderator or member may be lost on others).

I intentionally put the word negative in quotes. If you read my psot you may find I was questioning someone elses "attack" on the allegedly "negative" posters rather than your opinion.

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7292626)
There was not a post by a moderator. There was a post by a member. Read my post and you'll see it is MY opinion. How is that negative? Is it negative to suggest that people assimilate when they migrate?

Dorothy Feb 16th 2009 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 7292633)
Accepted that you posted as a member (though the fine line between you being a different person when moderator or member may be lost on others).

I intentionally put the word negative in quotes. If you read my psot you may find I was questioning someone elses "attack" on the allegedly "negative" posters rather than your opinion.

Sorry, Jay. I didn't mean to jump on you.

jayr Feb 16th 2009 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 7292658)
Sorry, Jay. I didn't mean to jump on you.

No worries!

tamaja Feb 16th 2009 9:48 pm

Many thanks for the replies...to get this back on track...Its Loreal Elseve Nutrigloss (in a pink bottle)?

SNH Feb 16th 2009 10:15 pm

After trying everything on offer in Europe and Asia, the only shampoo that works for me is only avaiable in Australia (and I have waist-length hair).:):)

In the end you're going to have to find a brand that works for you in Australia.

But yes, you'll be able to ship things in.

ukecadet Feb 17th 2009 12:09 am

Originally Posted by tamaja (Post 7293148)
Many thanks for the replies...to get this back on track...Its Loreal Elseve Nutrigloss (in a pink bottle)?

Ooooo is that the one which has pearl and cashmere extracts for shine.
I get mine from ALDI.

You can get it here in Target.

Pollyana Feb 17th 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ukecadet (Post 7293657)
Ooooo is that the one which has pearl and cashmere extracts for shine.
I get mine from ALDI.

You can get it here in Target.

Sounds like good news for the OP.:)

=======================================
Not aimed at anyone in particular, and posting as me, and not as a Mod, I have often had people take the mickey out of me cos I like to use particular brands of various things from the UK. I know I'm not alone in this, and I do it for a lot of reasons - familiarity being one; I prefer the taste being a second, which is valid for a lot of items. And lastly - because certain brands suit me and I don't want to risk trying others. Sunscreen is one - I still buy my sunscreen in Boots cos I have lousy skin and I want the one that I know doesn't irritate it.
Next time you ridicule a poster for wanting to bring certain brands over, stop and think that they may have a perfectly good reason for it.

BadgeIsBack Feb 17th 2009 9:14 am

In the spirit of some of these posts recently - love the signature mate. Might have to change my now rather tired signature ;-) Would not knock your desire to ship something over from the UK Polly. I'm tipping that the ridicule or mickey-taking is reserved for those who are just doing it by default or spite, or through ignorance.

By the same token, or rather, decent standard, I'm guessing you would approve of someone being content (or lucky) that they can use the 1 item out of the miserable and limited ;-) choice here.
:-)

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7295313)

Not aimed at anyone in particular, and posting as me, and not as a Mod, I have often had people take the mickey out of me cos I like to use particular brands of various things from the UK. I know I'm not alone in this, and I do it for a lot of reasons - familiarity being one; I prefer the taste being a second, which is valid for a lot of items. And lastly - because certain brands suit me and I don't want to risk trying others. Sunscreen is one - I still buy my sunscreen in Boots cos I have lousy skin and I want the one that I know doesn't irritate it.
Next time you ridicule a poster for wanting to bring certain brands over, stop and think that they may have a perfectly good reason for it.

Pollyana Feb 17th 2009 9:17 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 7295400)
In the spirit of some of these posts recently - love the signature mate. Might have to change my now rather tired signature ;-) Would not knock your desire to ship something over from the UK Polly. I'm tipping that the ridicule or mickey-taking is reserved for those who are just doing it by default or spite, or through ignorance.

By the same token, or rather, decent standard, I'm guessing you would approve of someone being content (or lucky) that they can use the 1 item out of the miserable and limited ;-) choice here.
:-)

Indeed, if and when eople find something in Aus that suits them, thats great - but as you probably remember it can take a while to get used to new brands.
Tolerance of everyone's individual quirks is the key methinks, as ever ;)

Bernieboy Feb 17th 2009 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7295313)

You have beautiful skin,as smooth as a baby's bum,mmm or do i mean your face looks like a baby's bum:eek:

ABCDiamond Feb 17th 2009 10:00 am

Originally Posted by tamaja (Post 7293148)

Have a look for Loreal Elvive Nutrigloss in Australia.

A quick look on Vogue.com.au showed a forum comment that says it is sold in Europe as 'Elseve'.

DunRoaminTheUK Feb 17th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7292567)
As far as Tea bags are concerned, try the Dilmah, Lipton and Madura brands, some say they are much better than the British ones.

DILMAH...chah, chah, chah...DILMAH...chah, chah, chah.....

Oh yes, Dilmah is far superior when compared to any of the British teas. Word to your mother....

sasbear Feb 17th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7295591)
DILMAH...chah, chah, chah...DILMAH...chah, chah, chah.....

Oh yes, Dilmah is far superior when compared to any of the British teas. Word to your mother....

dilmah extra strong -mmmmmmmm:)

alipally Feb 17th 2009 10:30 am

A note on chocolate....

As an obsessive consumer of all things chocolate I can reveal the following:;)

1. Aussie Cadbury's is initially pants... but you get used to it, although it doesn't have the same appeal that it used to, for me at least... it's made here, so doesn't come in a container, the same strange taint pervades through all the products :(

2. Ikea have fabulous swedish chocolate; that is imported Dime bars, Malibou, and another brand that I don't have in the house at the moment (I ate it all!) It's really good, but you have to put it in a cool bag if you live any distance from the shop because it melts very readily. (I understand that they are transported in a refrigerated container)

3. Lindt chocolate is also widely available and tastes just as good as it always did.

With reference to the shampoo.... I've not looked closely but Loreal sell the pink bottle Elvive shampoo here, so no worries....

In terms of cosmetics...
All the big brands are available; Dior, Givenchy, YSL, Clinique, Lancome, Estee Lauder etc... high end
and the less expensive: maxfactor, Revlon, Covergirl, Loreal, Bourjois, Rimmel.... to name but a few! If you buy Boots brand then you might want to bring that with you....

If you like branston pickle, bring that..... it's $6.00 for a small jar in Coles! :ohmy: or learn to live without it!

DunRoaminTheUK Feb 17th 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 7295697)
A note on chocolate....

As an obsessive consumer of all things chocolate I can reveal the following:;)

1. Aussie Cadbury's is initially pants... but you get used to it, although it doesn't have the same appeal that it used to, for me at least... it's made here, so doesn't come in a container, the same strange taint pervades through all the products :(

2. Ikea have fabulous swedish chocolate; that is imported Dime bars, Malibou, and another brand that I don't have in the house at the moment (I ate it all!) It's really good, but you have to put it in a cool bag if you live any distance from the shop because it melts very readily. (I understand that they are transported in a refrigerated container)

3. Lindt chocolate is also widely available and tastes just as good as it always did.

If you like branston pickle, bring that..... it's $6.00 for a small jar in Coles! :ohmy: or learn to live without it!

Ironically, in Europe the British chocolate is seen as very inferior.......

Bernieboy Feb 17th 2009 10:45 am

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK (Post 7295706)
Ironically, in Europe the British chocolate is seen as very inferior.......

In europe the BRITISH are seen as inferior:thumbup: