Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shame on you Australia

Shame on you Australia

Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:48 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shame on you Australia

Originally Posted by kporte
Good point. Words don't solve much. Anybody got any leads on efforts that actually help out? I'd be interested.
Quick search finds e.g. this: http://www.asgmwp.net/
Or perhaps try your local Amnesty INternational group to talk about this: http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/21626/
I'm looking forward to getting involved with the local action group in my area. I really want to understand this issue better. A United Nations investigation suggests that Australia isn't living up to its human rights obligations, I'd like to know why and how; and talk some to people who have more hands on experience like my mate in Brisbane who's a nurse that has worked in outback locations in Queensland, who I'm seeing next month.

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Interesting. Do the Scottish feel any guilt or does their underdog status absolve them from any wrong doing? The silence is deafening.
I am Scottish and have never felt I have any kind of 'underdog' status, quite the opposite in fact
Also, to what wrong-doing are you referring? (I have read all the posts in this thread but praps I've missed something)

Originally Posted by pgtips
Why is it before the white man came the aborigines lived in relative peace and had non of these problems ?

You take a man
Murder His family
Steal his land
Treat him for centuries as an animal
Make him feel worthless....

.......then you wonder why he is now a drunk with no self worth ?
You cannot seriously be suggesting that historical events make people in later generations into alcoholics? Plus, you seem to imply that alcoholism is some kind of inevtiable outcome the issues you describe, which is simply not fact. Apart from anything else, not all aboriginies are alcoholics.

What I find interesting is the possibility that a disproportionally large number of aboriginies (compared to other races) have a gene which predisposes them to alcoholism. This makes sense to me, because there must be something that is different in the body of an alcoholic which causes him/her to have the reaction they do to alcohol.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pgtips
Why is it before the white man came the aborigines lived in relative peace and had non of these problems ?

You take a man
Murder His family
Steal his land
Treat him for centuries as an animal
Make him feel worthless....

.......then you wonder why he is now a drunk with no self worth ?
Guys, please take the blinkers off and smell the coffee.

You created the situation, you made the man into a beast, now at least have the decency to correct it, and no I don't mean genocide. Equal opportunities for them may be a step in the right direction and giving them back large portions of their stolen land may help to mend broken hearts.

Oh and please remember you are the guest in their country, so why do you think you have the God given right to call all the shots ?
What a pathetic handwringing attitude you display.

Quite frankly civilisation has been around for 10's of thousands of years and lets be frank - most of the boundaries and countries we see today have been created by bloodshed, murder, theft, betrayal and every other negative human trait. (as well as positive ones)

That's the way it is, and always has been - get over it. the British came to this country and were superior in nearly all ways, which allowed them to take over this country and claim it as their own. Technically the aborigines should have fought back a bit more, but they didn't and they lost their country. Now because the west has developed a conscience over the last 100 years it has lead to these sorts of situations.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
Guilt of genocide doesnt just wash away once the generation that was responsible has died . You being white wether you like it or not are part of a repressive system that has an inbuilt idea of itself it is superior to other ways of life .
I think you are taking it too personal , ofcourse i or others couldnt specifically blame you but you cant deny the white race was the perpetrator in the agression and this you are part of .
When it gets down to street level and you are picked on by 5-6 aboriginal lads the one of the first things they will say is ''f--k off back to where you come from white trash'' .
Sins of the fathers come to mind thats all i can say , its a hard one to get around and to be honest after 20 years here with a few run in with aboriginals ,i honsestly dont see how it can be resolved and even being underlyingly sympathetic to their plight doesnt prevent me from being onn the wrong end of a floggin and being called ''white trash '' .
Being white does not make one part of a repressive system at all; I have never read such nonsense. People of any racial background can be repressive. You might equally point to the fact that it was whites that outlawed slavery in their cultures 150 years ago while it is still practiced in many other cultures round the world as of this day. White culture has been at the forefront of universal suffrage moments and civil liberties for decades. We're not the ones hacking hands of for theft or stoning women to death for adultery.

What's your solution to the aboriginal situation?
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:21 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm confused by this guilt and blame idea. Do we still blame and put guilt on the Germans for the millions of jews murdered during the 40s?
Quite so. OH is German and he does not see himself as responsible in any way whatsoever for the Holocaust. Indeed it is quite offensive to your average young German (or indeed any German who was not personally invovled in atrocity), to suggest that they are in any way responsible for what happened in that time. I personally am horrifed by the arrogance, greed and abuse of British colonialism in many countries, not just in Australia. But the very notion of apology for the actions of generations past on behalf of the current generation implies wrongdoing by the entire current generation, and I have done nothing wrong. Actually I am quite confused by some of these posts which seem to imply that simply by being white I have done something of which I personally should be ashamed - that sounds a bit racist in itself imo

Last edited by PamE; Oct 9th 2009 at 2:23 am. Reason: grammar ;)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PamE
Quite so. OH is German and he does not see himself as responsible in any way whatsoever for the Holocaust. Indeed it is quite offensive to your average young German (or indeed any German who was not personally invovled in atrocity), to suggest that they are in any way responsible for what happened in that time. I personally am horrifed by the arrogance, greed and abuse of British colonialism in many countries, not just in Australia. But the very notion of apology for the actions of generations past on behalf of the current generation implies wrongdoing by the entire current generation, and I have done nothing wrong. Actually I am quite confused by some of these posts which seem to imply that simply by being white I have done something of which I personally should be ashamed - that sounds a bit racist in itself imo
I quite agree. I have no idea why these people make such obviously ridiculous statements but one can only imagine it's because of their reading material.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billyboy1
Perhaps you should have been out on the road recently, and you could explain this to the poor bloke I found beaten to a pulp by a group of Aborigines, when he was just trying to walk home. He was beaten with fence palings with the nails sticking out of them, after having been called 'white this' and 'white that.' I imagine he would respond, 'well what the hell has that got to do with me, and what did I do to deserve this?'

Perhaps you could have been there to explain to the female backpacker why she was raped by an indigenous person (after having been beaten to a pulp), when she was only asking him for directions - welcome to Australia! As a tourist in Australia, is she responsible for the Stolen Generation?

I could go on and on, because it happens on a daily basis, and there are some really horrible things going on.

As stated I appreciate there have been some terrible things done to indigenous people in the past, for which there is no excuse, but these terrible things cannot continue to be used an excuse or mitigating circumstances for behavior like that which I have described. You are one of the bleeding hearts I described, who form part of the reason why indigenous issues will never be fixed. By trying to defend them in the way you are, using the historical argument, you are not helping them at all, you are actually hurting them, as you are allowing them to absolve themselves of responsibility for their behavior. As long as they never take responsibilities for their actions, and continue to blame others for their behavior, nothing will ever change.
Violence and alcohol have become a normal way of life in many of these communities. Any child growing up in this environment regardless of race will consider this normal. I am an upstanding member of society, never any run ins with the police, always been employed but i would imagien that if i had grown up in that environment i would almost certainly have been one of those that now spend time at her majestys pleasure, it would take a special individual not to. In any society the abused will often become an abuser whether you are white, black or any colour in between. History unfortunatley does have a major impact, if you force people of one proud group to live in the territory of another it will invariably lead to conflict, the Balkens, Northern Ireland, Rwanda... the list is endless. unfortunatley this is still recent history, the right to vote, the stolen generations have all happened in my life time (unlike the irish or balken problems which have their route cause in what happened way before i was born). Regardless of what you think about the money spent on this problem, speak to health workers on the ground and you will find that most of it is doen without consultation with the people it is meant to help, sometimes politically or economically motivated, targeted inappropriately. I truley believe (and i do not consider myself a bleeding heart), that if you consulted the elders and women of the communities, told them how much money you could spend in the community, gave a promise that this would be a permenant source of funding and then implimented the suggestions they made things would improve and over time BillyBoy and colleagues would notice a difference and ultimately money would be saved. there are fantastic indigenous communities out there that do work, why don't the authorities take the lessons from them! in many cases it isn't rocket science. yes, prosecute offenders but put in decent rehabilitation programs, instill a pride in the community, listen to their concerns. as for the money, most of the mines that generate a majority of Australias wealth are theoretically on Indigenous land so they should be getting royalties and recognistion and jobs in the mines, we are not really giving them much in return for 200 years of abuse.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:06 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyboy1
I work as a police officer in Australia, I came to Australia with a limited amount of knowledge in relation to indigenous issues, I feel I am fairly open minded, and was looking forward to see the realities. I would have described myself as a blank piece of paper, which is ready to be filled up and written on based on my experiences with the indigenous community, I guess I am trying to say I did not come to Australia with any prejudices against indigenous people. I have worked as a cop in a few different countries, along side other cops from various different cultures, and on teams where I was the ethnic minority. I have to say, like the vast majority of people I work along side, I couldn't give a monkies where you come from, what color your skin is, what culture you come from, I will take a person as I find them, and form my opinion of a person based on their behavior. I make this point because I know after having read the first line of my post indicating that I am a police officer, many will have already written anything I say off because I will be branded as a racist thug, which is far easier to do than to acknowledge that perhaps I have some experience to offer on the subject, however unpalatable it may be.

I have worked for two years now in Australia, in a city where there is a significant indigenous population, and not too far away from indigenous communities and reservations, so I deal with indigenous people on a daily basis. I have to say we deal with all sections of society, and for the most part across a given culture or race, we deal with members of that race / culture occasionally as offenders, and occasionally as complainants (they want to report their car stolen, relative missing - whatever). Unfortunately, when dealing with indigenous persons, 95% of the time it is in a negative capacity, as offenders, or occasionally as complainants (but usually the day before they were the offender flogging someone else, but today someone decided to flog them so they want to report it).

The fact of the matter is that 95% of the offenders we deal with are indigenous, I appreciate that there may be reasons for this, but tell that to some poor person who has just been flogged or raped when they were minding their own business walking home. It has become endemic in the city where I live, you see packs of indigenous kids wandering the streets at night looking for someone to flog or rob. Papers report about the disproportionate amount of indigenous persons in prison, well strangely enough that's because they commit the vast majority of the crime in the city where I work. Papers report on the difference in life expectancy between non indigenous persons and indigenous persons, well when you abuse your body on a daily basis for years on end do you expect to live for a long time? Their money goes on grog, not fruit and veg, exercise takes the form of brawls, flogging the partner, or walking to the bottle shop. Papers and other organizations report on indigenous deaths in custody, don't get me wrong sometimes the police are in the wrong, but given that 95% of the offenders we deal with are indigenous, and 95% of them have chronic health issues, is it really surprising? These people are walking time bombs, and when they decide to fight with the police they are usually on something, and then the physical exertion pushes them over the edge and their heart / body just can't deal with it. Another example is a member of the public calling in reporting a drunk indigenous person lying on the road. We go and pick them up, they are very drunk, and they ask us to take them to a diversionary shelter where they can sleep for the night. So in effect all we are doing is acting as a government funded taxi service (we spend allot of time doing this). The person then has a heart attack and dies in the back of the police car, and its called a death in custody - and added to the statistics of deaths in custody, which are used to support the argument that we are racist. I have read suggestions on this thread of racism against indigenous people, well having worked a few different places around the world, I have never seen so much racism as what I have been subjected to by indigenous persons. Yet they are more than happy to pull the race card on us and accuse us of being racist (usually because they have done something wrong, have been caught, and don't appreciate being arrested.)

I have been to the reservations and worked on them. MILLIONS of our tax payers dollars are sunk into these townships, in police resources, health, housing, schooling, and dole payments. 95% of the people in these areas have never worked or contributed tax, yet the townships are bottomless pits for our taxes to be poured into. There is work in many of the townships, for example mines, but why would you work when you get paid to do nothing? Some of the townships also have mines on their land, so they receive royalties, so again why work when you can get paid to do nothing? New housing is built, then they trash it, after all they never had to work for them like you and I, so why would they appreciate them and take care of them? Schools and other amenities are built, and the cost of upkeep is staggering because of the constant and massive amount of vandalism to public property. When their doll runs out and they don't have money to feed their children they try to get additional emergency benefits, then you go and check the records in the local grog shop and identify that the same person spent their entire dole check on alcohol.

Indigenous persons get various grants and scholarships when going to university or TAFE, so no discrimination there then other than the 'positive kind, someone mentioned indigenous charities, I'm not sure about charities funded by the public, but there are masses of organizations funded by the government for indigenous housing, diversion centre's, indigenous health, specialist indigenous training colleges, indigenous domestic violence agencies, all of which I'm sure many of us would appreciate the benefit of but do not have access to because we are not indigenous. It is even legislated in police procedure that indigenous people be treated differently, if you or I are arrested we can call a lawyer if we want, who may or may not sit in on an interview. If you are indigenous, the indigenous legal firm which is funded by the government HAS to be contacted, and they can't be interviewed without someone with them - so if its outside 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and not a rape or murder you can forget it. No such luck if you are non indigenous. The point I am making is that given that 95% of the indigenous people who live in the city in which I live do not work, they have a massive amount of benefits, resources, schemes, policy / procedure and funding available to them financed by the taxes which they do not pay.

I have talked to many indigenous people about all the issues, and based on my experience, I can honestly say the biggest obstacle for the culture moving forward are all the bleeding hearts, most of whom live in posh parts of cities thousands of miles from your nearest aboriginal, who continually accuse anyone trying to intervene of being racist. The end result is no government has the balls to take a tough stance on indigenous problems, for fear of being accused of being racist, so nothing ever gets done, apart from mostly half hearted initiatives which cost lots of money. There have been a few successful initiatives, for example cutting peoples dole when they don't send their children to school (again, the bleeding hearts called this scheme racist), but surprise - surprise in many communities they have seen school attendance rise significantly. Some communities went dry, again this was branded as being racist, but again as a result of this there were massive benefits to the community in terms of reduction in domestic violence and general problems.

I imagine many will brand my views as being racist, I say I am just telling it as it is. In fact nothing gives me greater pleasure than coming across indigenous people who are just Joe Bloggs normal people getting on with life, some of whom I work along side, and some I have as friends. People may disagree with some or all of my points, I would respond to this, come and work in a job where you deal with the public, like being a cop, paramedic, community nurse, social or council worker etc in the communities, or in a city like mine where we have a large indigenous population. After a year I will GUARANTEE you that you will see things very differently. I say this because I have met some increadbaly 'left wing' individuals, who I would describe as falling into the 'bleeding heart' category, then after a year or two of working in the communities or in the city where I live, dealing with the indigenous issues on a daily basis, their perceptions of the issues change completely.
Good post but nevertheless you are pointing out the problems which by and large we all know about .
How can one possibly change the aboriginal to the way we are? we cant just like america cant change the native indian ,where ever there has been conquest or enslavement there are perceived problems with the agrieved group thats been enslaved or conquered .
You as a police officer are trying to do the best you can and are doing a good job but the badge you wear the uniform you put on with pride means nothing but oppression to some in this country .
Similarities could be seen in the 6 counties where irsh republicans seen the RUC as a repressive regime .
I by no means am insulting you , i am no bleeding heart but i personally would like to see another way then the ''big stick'' ,''moneyin millions to the elders'',''politicians saying the right thing for 3 years'' .
I do believe there is a huge mistrust between the ''whites '' and the ''blacks '' in this country ,this bridge has to be rebuilt some how . In a country where waves of migrants from brits, vietnamese.greeks.italians.etc etc are eventually more excepted then the original inhabitants ,we have to ask ourselves WHY ?

Last edited by king kong; Oct 9th 2009 at 3:09 am.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:25 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PamE
The germans invaded most of Europe and killed 200 million people but everyone forgives them and says what nice people Germans are today , but white Aussies are all evil racists becasue of what happened to some Aboriginal peope two hundred years ago.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mohogony
The germans invaded most of Europe and killed 200 million people but everyone forgives them and says what nice people Germans are today , but white Aussies are all evil racists becasue of what happened to some Aboriginal peope two hundred years ago.
An interesting point. The German brand was repackaged as "peacenik" after WWII, whereas the Australians were never rebranded. Look at the fuss about the HArry Connick Jr remark on Hey Hey. Apparently the whole planet has universally comdemned Australia as a "racist backwater" for featuring blacked-up Lebanese dancers pretending to be the Jackson Five.

Meanwhile on exactly the same night in the United States, a blacked-up white actor called Fred Armisen played Obama on Saturday Night Live and made him look like a real idiot, but not a peep or objection from anywhere. Also of interest is that Connick Jr. once played a blacked-up preacher and got into a lot of trouble over it as well, so to come out and basically try and humiliate an enture country was a crappy thing to do.

Australia is no more or less racist than anywhere else - the difference is that Australians are too pragmatic to have their brains washed by PC reprogramming.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:45 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

About 70m in total died in WW2.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

About 70m in total died in WW2.
And around 40 million in WWI and you can pin that one on them too so that's 110 million.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hereandthere
And around 40 million in WWI and you can pin that one on them too so that's 110 million.
Yes but the Russians lost huge amounts and dispatched huge amounts. The Germans weren't the only baddies in that war. If you added up every death from German aggression, in every war in history, I doubt it would total 200m.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes but the Russians lost huge amounts and dispatched huge amounts. The Germans weren't the only baddies in that war. If you added up every death from German aggression, in every war in history, I doubt it would total 200m.
I would agree, but then there's the whole beach-towel thing and that's where it gets really inflammatory.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I would agree, but then there's the whole beach-towel thing and that's where it gets really inflammatory.
That does piss me off but I have to be careful, my FIL is German.......
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:15 am
Username change - was "Manc_in_Adelaide"

Danny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really niceDanny Tiatto's nose is just really nice

200 years ago ?

You allowed them the vote in '67, continued to steal their children until the early seventies and only apologised last year. Even then, that was only due to the unpopularity of work choices and not because enough people felt strongly about the Aboriginal situation.

Comparisons to Germany are irrlelevant since it is a totally different set of circumstances, although its worth noting that they have, and to some degree even now, bear a great deal of shame for the atrocities committed.

It is shame that is perceived by the rest of the world for their actions. That is how shame works. You don't have to choose to accept or reject it since its someone elses perception.

Although the Aboriginal issue has been more of an inconvenient truth for many years, the rest of the world is watching and appears to be taking an increasing interest. Two reports already referenced by this post are from Save the Children and Amnesty International, and I'm sure there are plenty of others out there too.

But, whatever the bickering regarding historical details, the fact remains that the Aboriginal issue is here and now and perceptions from overseas will be formed regarding how Australia copes with the problems that have surfaced. People can deny all they like and refuse to accept any responsibility, and even blame the aboriginals, but you can't stop the rest of the world forming their own opinions many of which will conclude that the treatment of the Aboriginal people has been shameful.

If reports continue to appear comparing current indigineous infant mortality rates to be nearly level with third world countries then conclusions will be drawn that the current treatment of the Aboriginal people is also shameful and not just historical.

How do we fix it ? Impossible to say but it does seem that although a bottomles pit of money has been thrown at it, it hasn't been effective. Has there ever really been any great partnerships with the communities, or has it just been white-mans fiscal policy with good intentions ? Maybe those who've been here longer than me can help us out here ? From what I've read so far, partnership does seem to be lacking.

To quote from the reconciliatioon website regarding the intervention:-

"40 Aboriginal organisations put forward an alternative proposal for urgent action based on consultation and partnerships with local Aboriginal communities, welfare organisations and women’s groups. This proposal was ignored and, with the support of the former Labor Opposition, the NT Intervention went ahead."

( http://reconciliaction.org.au/nsw/re...-intervention/ )

And to quote from an Amnestry International Neilsen poll of Australians:-

"“The poll shows that most people simply don’t have faith that politicians know what they’re doing when they devise policy on Indigenous matters. This reinforces our view that the only way to make effective policy in this area is through real knowledge and understanding of Indigenous culture, and real partnerships with Indigenous people themselves.”

http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/21626/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.