British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

kazza1 Aug 6th 2008 8:52 pm

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Anyone heading to Perth in the middle of September?? We have booked our flights for the 10th September, me, my partner and my 7 month old baby and planning to stay in Butler!

Have soooooo much to do before we go but can't wait!!

Mottie Aug 7th 2008 6:50 am

Originally Posted by kazozz (Post 6652565)
hi julie

Its a shame we never came across you till now,we live in Northamptonshire. take care good luck. see you in Oct:thumbup:

Oh what a shame, we could have had a meet up over here!! Will get the beers in and the barbie on for when you're over in October!!:thumbsup:
Lolylew is also over in October so we could all get together!!:thumbsup:

Will keep in touch through here or are you on facebook?xx

Paula_lou Aug 7th 2008 6:53 am

Originally Posted by kazza1 (Post 6653077)
Anyone heading to Perth in the middle of September?? We have booked our flights for the 10th September, me, my partner and my 7 month old baby and planning to stay in Butler!

Hiya :) Good luck for your big move!! We're moving to Butler too but not till this time next year! We stayed there in 2006 and absolutely love the place :)

I cant wait till I can say weve got our flights booked..Im so excited! lol

Paula xx:wub:

kazozz Aug 7th 2008 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Mottie (Post 6654164)
Oh what a shame, we could have had a meet up over here!! Will get the beers in and the barbie on for when you're over in October!!:thumbsup:
Lolylew is also over in October so we could all get together!!:thumbsup:

Will keep in touch through here or are you on facebook?xx

hi mottie

Not on face book, but will be on here, i feel excited for you, sent off enquirey about accomadation. we are getting there, just need a house buyer!! beer and barbie sound fab!! just in time for the summer!!!
All the best guys.
speak soon
karen:thumbup:

kazozz Aug 7th 2008 7:26 am

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6652850)
It all depends on the house going through and quarantine spaces:frown:

Apparently Perth quarantine station is fully booked until the end of October, so we may have to delay our departure. The only other problem is that our buyer is asking for completion within 6 weeks:eek: I may be homeless in St. Helens as well as Perth:eek:

hi mary

am in process of getting a pet permit, and i have been told October, with air pets.
Goodluck
karen

Wandathecat Aug 7th 2008 7:58 am

Originally Posted by kazza1 (Post 6653077)

We leave the day before you but don't get to perth until the 8th Oct, staying with family in Butler initially so give us a shout.

Claire xx

flo&mags Aug 7th 2008 9:18 am

We arrive in Waikiki 15th August, am so excited - have been in Melbourne for about 3 weeks & its been so cold - need some warm weather now!!

Flo.X

kazozz Aug 7th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6652850)
It all depends on the house going through and quarantine spaces:frown:

Apparently Perth quarantine station is fully booked until the end of October, so we may have to delay our departure. The only other problem is that our buyer is asking for completion within 6 weeks:eek: I may be homeless in St. Helens as well as Perth:eek:

Hi mary

we had a phone call this morning, now saying all the places for Oct quaratine have gone, am gutted, have now been told November, we fly Oct 15 th, it will be december before we get our dog home with us!!
hope things work out for you.
karen

midgetjan Aug 7th 2008 12:19 pm

You could send your dog to Sydney any time (no waiting time) and then fly it down after quarantine.

More expensive but - just a thought!!

Jan

kazozz Aug 7th 2008 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 6654998)
You could send your dog to Sydney any time (no waiting time) and then fly it down after quarantine.

Jan

Hi jan

Do you Know how much more exspensive?? will have to look into that !!
Thanks
Karen

mary1967 Aug 7th 2008 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6652880)
think i'd love a buyer like that! in fact any buyer would do......

It sounds great and any other time i'd be made up, but because we've no family to stay with we'll probably have to pay for a holiday home until we go. Sounds great on paper, but it means boarding the dog and cat's for nearly a month before we go :( Now i'm stressing that the dog may not pass her tests and what do we do then?

Originally Posted by kazozz (Post 6654966)
Hi mary

we had a phone call this morning, now saying all the places for Oct quaratine have gone, am gutted, have now been told November, we fly Oct 15 th, it will be december before we get our dog home with us!!
hope things work out for you.
karen

That's what we were told but because we've not yet got our import permit, they can't book a quarantine space, so it could be late November:eek:

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 6654998)

Jan

Now there's a thought:blink: It may be worth considering if we come really unstuck.

The Clarkeys Aug 7th 2008 8:54 pm

[QUOTE=mary1967;6656394]It sounds great and any other time i'd be made up, but because we've no family to stay with we'll probably have to pay for a holiday home until we go. Sounds great on paper, but it means boarding the dog and cat's for nearly a month before we go :( Now i'm stressing that the dog may not pass her tests and what do we do then?

i don't know much about bringing pets over but i presume you can't send them over before you leave? or is that because there is no space over there for them?
didn't mean to be flippant :o differenrt things are holding different people back and adding to the stress. we would have booked flights the day we got the visa if we could have. frustrating beyond belief all round

midgetjan Aug 7th 2008 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by kazozz (Post 6655053)
Hi jan

Do you Know how much more exspensive?? will have to look into that !!
Thanks
Karen

I think I was quoted about $600 to fly my german shepherd down from Sydney to Perth. A lot depends on the size of your dog though. You may find the pet shippers who gave you the quote are cheaper to fly to Sydney than Perth - again it depends where you are flying from in UK.

We were quoted over £3000 to fly her from London to Sydney (and that was transporting her from Aberdeen to London ourselves).

Just one word of advice though - when you apply for the import permit you have to state which quarantine station your pet is going to and if you need to amend it - they charge you. If I remember rightly the import permit took about 3 weeks to come through.

You can send your pet in front of you as long as you have an Australian address (or someone willing to let you use theirs) and all your paperwork is done.

Hope this helps.

Jan

mary1967 Aug 7th 2008 10:13 pm

[QUOTE=The Clarkeys;6656608]

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6656394)
It sounds great and any other time i'd be made up, but because we've no family to stay with we'll probably have to pay for a holiday home until we go. Sounds great on paper, but it means boarding the dog and cat's for nearly a month before we go :( Now i'm stressing that the dog may not pass her tests and what do we do then?

i don't know much about bringing pets over but i presume you can't send them over before you leave? or is that because there is no space over there for them?
didn't mean to be flippant :o differenrt things are holding different people back and adding to the stress. we would have booked flights the day we got the visa if we could have. frustrating beyond belief all round

The stress is never ending, as you knock one thing on the head, up pops another:mad: If it weren't for the animals we could probably go as soon as the house goes through (that's if it does:blink:), but we've had our pets for 7 years and couldn't imagine leaving them here.

At the moment i'm stressing over the house sale, the animals, rentals, air fares and jobs. No doubt when i get there it'll be rentals, rentals, rentals, schools, jobs, cars, shopping, furniture shipping and spiders:rofl:............have i forgotten anything?

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 6656818)
I think I was quoted about $600 to fly my german shepherd down from Sydney to Perth. A lot depends on the size of your dog though. You may find the pet shippers who gave you the quote are cheaper to fly to Sydney than Perth - again it depends where you are flying from in UK.

We were quoted over £3000 to fly her from London to Sydney (and that was transporting her from Aberdeen to London ourselves).

Just one word of advice though - when you apply for the import permit you have to state which quarantine station your pet is going to and if you need to amend it - they charge you. If I remember rightly the import permit took about 3 weeks to come through.

You can send your pet in front of you as long as you have an Australian address (or someone willing to let you use theirs) and all your paperwork is done.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Thanks for that:thumbsup:

Off2Oz Aug 8th 2008 9:50 am

Hi all,

Haven't been posting on this thread lately but have been keeping up to date with all the goings on.

We're still waiting for our house to sell (:sneaky: there's a running theme here). Once we've sold we'll be off.

We'll also be staying with some friends in Butler then will try and find a rental somewhere.

Then we can start building our house in Jindalee.:thumbsup:

I just hope it can all start happening soon.

btazgallacher Aug 11th 2008 11:52 am

[QUOTE=mary1967;6656901]

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6656608)

The stress is never ending, as you knock one thing on the head, up pops another:mad: If it weren't for the animals we could probably go as soon as the house goes through (that's if it does:blink:), but we've had our pets for 7 years and couldn't imagine leaving them here.

At the moment i'm stressing over the house sale, the animals, rentals, air fares and jobs. No doubt when i get there it'll be rentals, rentals, rentals, schools, jobs, cars, shopping, furniture shipping and spiders:rofl:............have i forgotten anything?

Thanks for that:thumbsup:

Hey Mary ,

Can u not board the animals and get someone to ship them for u . I really believe u will do yr self a favour getting yrselves sorted with accomodation before they arrive. Honestly boarding them will cost but will be better option to find yr feet. Yr animals will be fine. When i went to live in UK i had to quarantine my dog for 6 months . I t was hell as he did not understand why i did not take him with me everytime i visited him |( kinder not to visit) .Here quarantine is shorter time and look upon it as getting them a safe place to live once they come out . I really don t want to presure u but its is def worth looking at .

Linda ( we spoke before Btaz)

mary1967 Aug 11th 2008 4:28 pm

[QUOTE=btazgallacher;6668507]

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6656901)

Hey Mary ,

Can u not board the animals and get someone to ship them for u . I really believe u will do yr self a favour getting yrselves sorted with accomodation before they arrive. Honestly boarding them will cost but will be better option to find yr feet. Yr animals will be fine. When i went to live in UK i had to quarantine my dog for 6 months . I t was hell as he did not understand why i did not take him with me everytime i visited him |( kinder not to visit) .Here quarantine is shorter time and look upon it as getting them a safe place to live once they come out . I really don t want to presure u but its is def worth looking at .

Linda ( we spoke before Btaz)

Hi Linda,

Yes, i've thought of it, and it may well come down to it:unsure: The main problem is whether the dog passes the blood tests or not, cause if she doesn't, what do we do with her if we're in Oz? We've got nobody who could take her and it would be heartbreaking for me and the kids, so i feel like i've got to at least wait until she's had the bloody tests, which i can't get done yet because i don't know about quarantine spaces and we've not yet exchanged on the house:frown:

I'm hoping that we can board her at the kennels, after passing the blood test of course!, for a week, possibly 10 days after we've gone, which would hopefully give us between 5/6 weeks to find a rental. If the worse comes to the worse and we can't get a rental that'll take pets, i'm thinking of boarding them in Perth..............i dread to think how much this is gonna cost...........:eek:

btazgallacher Aug 11th 2008 11:30 pm

[QUOTE=mary1967;6669263]

Originally Posted by btazgallacher (Post 6668507)

Hi Linda,

Yes, i've thought of it, and it may well come down to it:unsure: The main problem is whether the dog passes the blood tests or not, cause if she doesn't, what do we do with her if we're in Oz? We've got nobody who could take her and it would be heartbreaking for me and the kids, so i feel like i've got to at least wait until she's had the bloody tests, which i can't get done yet because i don't know about quarantine spaces and we've not yet exchanged on the house:frown:

I'm hoping that we can board her at the kennels, after passing the blood test of course!, for a week, possibly 10 days after we've gone, which would hopefully give us between 5/6 weeks to find a rental. If the worse comes to the worse and we can't get a rental that'll take pets, i'm thinking of boarding them in Perth..............i dread to think how much this is gonna cost...........:eek:

Don t worry too much Mary , things tend to work out for the best ... Something will guide you in the right direction . Everything happens for a reason . I am sure the blood test will be fine but if they are not then maybe something will lead you in different direction. I rehomed my cats bit at a time but i was worried about them not liking it here and also them not being used to all the creastures out here and cats are territorial so i found them nice homes and they have settled well. I know with dogs it s harder as i grew up with dogs in our family but something will show you the way... Chin up :-)

mindblower Aug 15th 2008 12:18 pm

QUOTE]

G/day, just stumbled across this thread, been in S Harbour 3 months..
:)

flo&mags Aug 15th 2008 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mindblower (Post 6682105)
QUOTE]

Hi we have just arrived in Freo. Been in Melbourne for 4 weeks or so & now we are here. Hoping to move to waiki in next couple of weeks - Hows things going with u guys?
Flo & Mags. X

flo&mags Aug 15th 2008 12:24 pm

Do the meet ups still happen here?? Just thought I would ask as would love to meet people - just arrived & already loving the weather!!
Flo & Mags. X

tayles Aug 15th 2008 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by kazozz (Post 6650660)
hi

good minds think alike!! can i ask who you have booked your temp accomadation with, we are having difficulties securing some. cant wait to get there. defo on meeting up. keep me posted:thumbup:
karen

Hi Karen

just wondered if you have found any temp accomodation yet? We booked through Emi great - they have properties in Port Kennedy and they also do car rentals so we will have a car waiting in our driveway after they collect us personally at the airport.

We arrive in Perth on 20/10/08. My OH has his first telephone interview next week:eek: Getting more real by the day although so much to do here but still can't wait to finally turn that dream into reality:thumbsup:

Erica

kazozz Aug 15th 2008 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by tayles (Post 6682230)
Hi Karen

just wondered if you have found any temp accomodation yet? We booked through Emi great - they have properties in Port Kennedy and they also do car rentals so we will have a car waiting in our driveway after they collect us personally at the airport.

We arrive in Perth on 20/10/08. My OH has his first telephone interview next week:eek: Getting more real by the day although so much to do here but still can't wait to finally turn that dream into reality:thumbsup:

Erica

hi Erica

We are all sorted now thanks, books accomadation, through ozstays. Booked a car ,Mandurah here we come!! I so no what you mean about dream to reality. Goodluck to your OH with his interview!!
karen:thumbup:

mad.chef Aug 16th 2008 8:06 am

Hi,

There is a meet up planned in Kings Park for 21st September I think. If you look in the meet-up section on this forum you will find it. It is good for new people who have just arrived and don't know many people. We went to one when we arrived but have never been to another, we seemed to have made loads of friends just doing day to day stuff, kids at school etc.

Sarah.

kazozz Aug 16th 2008 8:26 am

Originally Posted by flo&mags (Post 6682122)
Do the meet ups still happen here?? Just thought I would ask as would love to meet people - just arrived & already loving the weather!!
Flo & Mags. X

HI Flo & Mags

IT seems there is a meet up in king park in sept. we move to Mandurah 15 Oct Yipeeeee, cant wait.
maybe see you at a meet,
karen:thumbsup:

The Clarkeys Aug 17th 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mindblower (Post 6682105)
QUOTE]

what is it like? we got our visa 2 weeks ago but as house still not sold not sure when will make it over. thinking of secret harbour when we eventually get out there.

Mrs Roo Aug 21st 2008 4:28 am

I am a West Oz native living in Mandurah. I went to the UK in February 2004 and returned in 2007 with a UK partner after working there for 3 years. He has since returned to the UK, so I am basically at a loose end.

I would be happy to assist anyone who needs info about this end as I have many connections and a good knowledge of Australia and particularly WA, having travelled widely through the state and living here for 25 years. I have lived and worked in the Pilbara and in the West Kimberley area as well as in the Great Southern and in Mandurah.

I would also be happy to help any current residents in any way that I am able.

Cheers :D

mary1967 Aug 21st 2008 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Roo (Post 6699515)
I am a West Oz native living in Mandurah. I went to the UK in February 2004 and returned in 2007 with a UK partner after working there for 3 years. He has since returned to the UK, so I am basically at a loose end.

I would be happy to assist anyone who needs info about this end as I have many connections and a good knowledge of Australia and particularly WA, having travelled widely through the state and living here for 25 years. I have lived and worked in the Pilbara and in the West Kimberley area as well as in the Great Southern and in Mandurah.

What a lovely post - can't wait to get there now:D

Mary

kazozz Aug 21st 2008 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6699848)
What a lovely post - can't wait to get there now:D

Mary

hi Mary

Are you off to mandurah too? we fly Perth Oct 15 th, we will be staying in Halls Head. cant wait:thumbsup:
karen

kazozz Aug 21st 2008 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mrs Roo (Post 6699515)

hello mrs Roo

Just saw your post, we loved Dawsville,what views! we have a rental in Halls head, we really likes it there.
Do you know any local places to buy a car??
cheers
karen

mary1967 Aug 21st 2008 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by kazozz (Post 6700656)
hi Mary

Are you off to mandurah too? we fly Perth Oct 15 th, we will be staying in Halls Head. cant wait:thumbsup:
karen

We're staying in Port Kennedy initially, after that, who know?:eek:

tawkins1 Aug 25th 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Mary, You've probably posted the answer to this question somewhere but what date do you fly? Were going 14 Nov but it will be return trip cos we haven't had any luck selling the house :(

mary1967 Aug 25th 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6713990)
Hi Mary, You've probably posted the answer to this question somewhere but what date do you fly? Were going 14 Nov but it will be return trip cos we haven't had any luck selling the house :(

Hi Dawn, we go on the 22nd October from Manchester - getting really nervous now:eek:

Sorry to hear you've not had any luck with the house - have you tried using another agent?

shaheen09 Aug 26th 2008 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6714729)
Hi Dawn, we go on the 22nd October from Manchester - getting really nervous now:eek:

Sorry to hear you've not had any luck with the house - have you tried using another agent?

hi mary, we have just made up our mind with moving to aus, finally after 1 whole yr of talking through it.im hoping to put in the application by the end of oct.just wanted to know how long it actually took from the day you put in yr application.
thanks

Wandathecat Aug 26th 2008 11:08 am

Any newbies to Perth arriving in Oct? :thumbsup:

kazza1 Aug 26th 2008 11:38 am

We fly the day after you- 10th September so we will be September newbies!

Wandathecat Aug 26th 2008 11:42 am

Originally Posted by kazza1 (Post 6716047)
We fly the day after you- 10th September so we will be September newbies!

Where are you looking to rent, or do you have a place? We actually get there in Oct....doing a few spots on the way.:rofl:

Katmac Aug 26th 2008 12:07 pm

Hi we are having to fly in Dec to validate as bungalow not selling.. Still no sign of visa either Jan 08 applicant. :confused:But meds were front loaded so we need to do something and all our money is tied up in the bungalow.. Good luck everyone

The Outback Monkeys Aug 26th 2008 12:35 pm

We have been here for 3 years - and have qualified for citizenship today!!

Love it here... but we struggle when meeting another brit (which isn't often) its really wierd, run out of conversation in 3 minutes!

With most aussies (there are some exemptions) they seem to ramble enough for you to enjoy the company.

I`m not getting at anyone I hope, just an observation.

Actually our best mates moved from uk to just up the road - we don't really have much in common anymore - shame.

lindseymcc Aug 26th 2008 2:59 pm

Hi all were heading to Secret Harbour and arriving on the 2oth Sept :rofl: got 2 beautiful kids age 13 n 5 that are so so excited and a husband that is looking for an electricians job when we arrive:ohmy: so anyone thats headin near SH or thereabouts if your looking for a meetup for a right good bevy or just a coffee give us a wee email as always good to meet new friends!:thumbsup: