British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

mary1967 Aug 26th 2008 3:21 pm

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Originally Posted by shaheen09 (Post 6715942)
hi mary, we have just made up our mind with moving to aus, finally after 1 whole yr of talking through it.im hoping to put in the application by the end of oct.just wanted to know how long it actually took from the day you put in yr application.
thanks

It took us 10 months to get everything together to apply for the visa and then 7 months exactly to get the visa. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6715991)
Any newbies to Perth arriving in Oct? :thumbsup:

ME!!!!!! Where are you going in Perth?

Originally Posted by The Outback Monkeys (Post 6716201)
We have been here for 3 years - and have qualified for citizenship today!!

Love it here... but we struggle when meeting another brit (which isn't often) its really wierd, run out of conversation in 3 minutes!

With most aussies (there are some exemptions) they seem to ramble enough for you to enjoy the company.

I`m not getting at anyone I hope, just an observation.

Actually our best mates moved from uk to just up the road - we don't really have much in common anymore - shame.

Congratulations, sounds like everythings worked out for you, gives us all hope!

kazozz Aug 26th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by lindseymcc (Post 6716684)
Hi all were heading to Secret Harbour and arriving on the 2oth Sept :rofl: got 2 beautiful kids age 13 n 5 that are so so excited and a husband that is looking for an electricians job when we arrive:ohmy: so anyone thats headin near SH or thereabouts if your looking for a meetup for a right good bevy or just a coffee give us a wee email as always good to meet new friends!:thumbsup:

hi guys

we head to Mandurah on the 17th Oct Yipeee. we have twins boys age 12. defo up for a bevy or two!!
goodluck
karen:thumbup:

lindseymcc Aug 26th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by kazozz (Post 6716835)
hi guys

we head to Mandurah on the 17th Oct Yipeee. we have twins boys age 12. defo up for a bevy or two!!
goodluck

Thanks Karen all the best to you and give us an email when u arrive and we could arrange a wee nite!!:eek:

kazozz Aug 26th 2008 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by lindseymcc (Post 6717590)
Thanks Karen all the best to you and give us an email when u arrive and we could arrange a wee nite!!:eek:

hi
will do!!! c yer sooon:rofl:
karen

allankate Aug 27th 2008 7:58 am

Originally Posted by shaheen09 (Post 6715942)
hi mary, we have just made up our mind with moving to aus, finally after 1 whole yr of talking through it.im hoping to put in the application by the end of oct.just wanted to know how long it actually took from the day you put in yr application.
thanks

Hi there, for visa timeline info checkout www.beupdate.co.uk/visagrants.php you'll be able to see how long all of the recent visa have taken to be granted.

Good luck with you application :thumbsup:

Allan

Wandathecat Aug 27th 2008 8:09 am

Hi Mary1967

We don't know yet, staying with family in Butler for the first couple of weeks. Depends where we get jobs really. I would like something near the hills, OH wants something near the beach............probably end up somewhere between the two!!!!:thumbsup:

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6719218)
Hi Mary1967

We don't know yet, staying with family in Butler for the first couple of weeks. Depends where we get jobs really. I would like something near the hills, OH wants something near the beach............probably end up somewhere between the two!!!!:thumbsup:

Think we'll probably aim for the beach South of Perth, but it's difficult to know until we get there. At the moment i'm just hoping for a roof and 4 walls!!!

Wandathecat Aug 27th 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6719449)
Think we'll probably aim for the beach South of Perth, but it's difficult to know until we get there. At the moment i'm just hoping for a roof and 4 walls!!!

Have you been before? We love Freo but a bit on the expensive side. Mandurah was nice but a bit far from the rest of our family. I liked it around Kelmscott/Swan Valley but like you four walls will do to start with.

Who u flying with?

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6719480)
Have you been before? We love Freo but a bit on the expensive side. Mandurah was nice but a bit far from the rest of our family. I liked it around Kelmscott/Swan Valley but like you four walls will do to start with.

Who u flying with?

Never been before, so i haven't got a clue:eek: We've got friends in Port Kennedy who're putting us up until we get a rental.

We're flying with Singapore, what about you?

tawkins1 Aug 27th 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6714729)
Hi Dawn, we go on the 22nd October from Manchester - getting really nervous now:eek:

Sorry to hear you've not had any luck with the house - have you tried using another agent?

We're on our 2nd agent now! :( Nothing round here is moving so i'm just looking forward to our validation trip in November. I think i've resigned myself to the fact that we will spend another christmas here in the UK then hopfully in the new year the house may sell, anything before then is a bonus.

It started getting me down but then whats the point of that it'll happen when it happens. :thumbsup:

You've not got long now :eek: Just remember its quite nippy in Oct so take some woolies with ya! We were surprised how cold it was in Oct last year :wub:

Wandathecat Aug 27th 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6719490)
Never been before, so i haven't got a clue:eek: We've got friends in Port Kennedy who're putting us up until we get a rental.

We're flying with Singapore, what about you?

emirates, via dubai, HK, Bangkok, Cambodia, Sydney, melbourne then Perth. We have been twice, you will love it. We went to Mandurah, very nice. Rockingham nice too.

Cx

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6720346)
We're on our 2nd agent now! :( Nothing round here is moving so i'm just looking forward to our validation trip in November. I think i've resigned myself to the fact that we will spend another christmas here in the UK then hopfully in the new year the house may sell, anything before then is a bonus.

It started getting me down but then whats the point of that it'll happen when it happens. :thumbsup:

You've not got long now :eek: Just remember its quite nippy in Oct so take some woolies with ya! We were surprised how cold it was in Oct last year :wub:

I'm really sorry you've not had any luck with the house. Is there any chance you could rent yours out?

My jumpers and winter coat are coming with me:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6720547)
emirates, via dubai, HK, Bangkok, Cambodia, Sydney, melbourne then Perth. We have been twice, you will love it. We went to Mandurah, very nice. Rockingham nice too.

Cx

That's a hell of a journey:eek: From what i can gather Mandurah isn't too far from Port Kennedy, so we'll definitely be going to have a look round.

tawkins1 Aug 27th 2008 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6721599)
I'm really sorry you've not had any luck with the house. Is there any chance you could rent yours out?

My jumpers and winter coat are coming with me:thumbsup:

That's a hell of a journey:eek: From what i can gather Mandurah isn't too far from Port Kennedy, so we'll definitely be going to have a look round.

We were thinking about renting it out but financially we'd probably struggle without the equity in the house. We'll get there eventually :eek:
Really pleased for you tho! :thumbsup:

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6721657)
We were thinking about renting it out but financially we'd probably struggle without the equity in the house. We'll get there eventually :eek:
Really pleased for you tho! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dawn, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

lolylew Aug 29th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6715991)
Any newbies to Perth arriving in Oct? :thumbsup:

only for a validation trip unfortunately, although hubby has had a telephone interview and has got to do some aptitude tests this weekend that will hopefully turn into a proper interview when we get there in october.
if that works out, we could be there again not long after :thumbup:

mad.chef Aug 29th 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by lolylew (Post 6727226)
only for a validation trip unfortunately, although hubby has had a telephone interview and has got to do some aptitude tests this weekend that will hopefully turn into a proper interview when we get there in october.
if that works out, we could be there again not long after :thumbup:

Hi,

How are your plans going? The thread has gone quiet lately but I have been trying to keep it going. I can't believe we have been here nearly a year already! Time has really flown by.

Anyone feel free to ask any questions.

Sarah.

lolylew Aug 29th 2008 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 6727353)
Hi,

How are your plans going? The thread has gone quiet lately but I have been trying to keep it going. I can't believe we have been here nearly a year already! Time has really flown by.

Anyone feel free to ask any questions.

Sarah.

hi sarah,

apart from the house not selling everythings fine thanks.
we were expecting to have moved over by now, but the housing market has totally stopped here at the moment. If andrew can get a job, then we'd be able to move and rent the house out. just couldnt afford to pay a mortgage and a rent with no job.

it seems like your year has flown by, it only seems a few months ago i was looking at your pictures of you moving out!!!!! glad its going well for you!!!! :thumbup:

what do you think ythe weather will be like in october, will it be beach & pool weather, bearing in mind we're coming from cold england?! will it be cold at night?

lisa
:thumbup:

mad.chef Aug 29th 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lolylew (Post 6727429)
hi sarah,

apart from the house not selling everythings fine thanks.
we were expecting to have moved over by now, but the housing market has totally stopped here at the moment. If andrew can get a job, then we'd be able to move and rent the house out. just couldnt afford to pay a mortgage and a rent with no job.

it seems like your year has flown by, it only seems a few months ago i was looking at your pictures of you moving out!!!!! glad its going well for you!!!! :thumbup:

what do you think ythe weather will be like in october, will it be beach & pool weather, bearing in mind we're coming from cold england?! will it be cold at night?

lisa
:thumbup:

We came in October and we rented a house with a pool, it was too cold for that as the pools aren't heated, saying that Taylor went in it a few times!! It was warm in the day but cold in the house at night and we had to cover ourselves up with blankets at night when watching the tv. We used to go out all the time though and it was lovely and warm in the day, the kids used to go down to the beach and to Hillarys. My OH is surfing this time of year and he says the water is freezing but he has got a full wetsuit which helps. Doesn't stop him going though.

Hopefully all will go well with the job front and the house.

Sarah

tawkins1 Aug 29th 2008 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 6727483)
We came in October and we rented a house with a pool, it was too cold for that as the pools aren't heated, saying that Taylor went in it a few times!! It was warm in the day but cold in the house at night and we had to cover ourselves up with blankets at night when watching the tv. We used to go out all the time though and it was lovely and warm in the day, the kids used to go down to the beach and to Hillarys. My OH is surfing this time of year and he says the water is freezing but he has got a full wetsuit which helps. Doesn't stop him going though.

Hopefully all will go well with the job front and the house.

Sarah

Hi :)
Wow a year already! We too are stuck here cos we can't sell the house :(
We are validating mid November :thumbup: We came Oct last year & was suprised how cold it was at night, we wore fleeces in bed :eek:
We had lovely days out & the temperatures weren't too bad athought I was surprised how much it rained!!! (What rain in Oz?) I was shocked :rofl:

The Clarkeys Aug 29th 2008 8:13 pm

we are in the same boat as Tawkins - cant sell house and need the equity to get out there. planning to validate in march/april next year. might look at seeing if OH can get a job sorted and chance going out and rent the house out. anyone need a plumber????:rofl::rofl:

Off2Oz Aug 29th 2008 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6729014)
we are in the same boat as Tawkins - cant sell house and need the equity to get out there. planning to validate in march/april next year. might look at seeing if OH can get a job sorted and chance going out and rent the house out. anyone need a plumber????:rofl::rofl:

We are in the same boat as you and Tawkins. Can't sell the house so are stuck hereat the moment. We validated in June last year so we've time left on the visa but just want to be there.

We bought some land in Jindalee and will be staying with some friends in Butler until we can get a rental sorted.

Hopefully we'll be there some day.:unsure:

Shoan and Rich Aug 29th 2008 10:54 pm

We are leaving on the 21st Sep, heading to Perth.
Anyone else leaving aroung that time ?

Shona

Off2Oz Aug 29th 2008 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 6729535)
We are leaving on the 21st Sep, heading to Perth.
Anyone else leaving aroung that time ?

Shona

I wish.:rofl:

Good luck!

Shoan and Rich Aug 29th 2008 11:14 pm

We were in a similar boat, but decided to let the house out and go.
I hope things pick up for you, its a horrible wait.

Shona

Off2Oz Aug 29th 2008 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Shoan and Rich (Post 6729589)
We were in a similar boat, but decided to let the house out and go.
I hope things pick up for you, its a horrible wait.

Shona

Good luck with everything. Good for you letting the house. We can't do that but we've some viewings over the weekend so, fingers crossed, I'll be able say that I've booked flights.:lol:

I hope things pick up too.

The Clarkeys Aug 30th 2008 6:45 pm

we've looked into renting as well but just feasible for us. the waiting is so frustrating. been looking into making our validation trip in april next year and thats got me quite excited......apart from the cost:eek:

mad.chef Aug 31st 2008 2:41 am

Hi all,

We have some friends who have just been granted their visa and they are getting their house ready to go on the market. It is going to be a struggle to sell it and you just can't give it away. We still have our house in the Uk but we are lucky as my brother is living in it and paying all the bills etc.

It is very expensive to buy a house here in Perth as the houses are much bigger than you would have at home so mortgages will be higher than you would have in the uk (for most people). I have heard a few people on the forums who have been struggling to sell have opted to have a interest only mortgage for a few years and maybe release some of the equity they have tied up in their houses to get them here. They then are renting their houses out and covering everything they need. If we had sold our house when we came last year and bought the money with us we would still need double the mortgage of what we have back in the uk, it is so much cheaper here to rent than buy. I hope that makes sense.

Sarah

The Clarkeys Aug 31st 2008 8:38 pm

thanks for the info. i dont think we will have a really good idea about what we will be able to afford til we actually get out there and get jobs. we were planning to rent for at least 6 months bfore deciding if we were going to stay or not first anyway.

debbieuk Sep 1st 2008 8:53 am

flights are booked!!!!!!!!

anyone else going the 30th oct..singapore airlines???

now just need to sort out rental....anybody got one?

good luck to all those still waiting to sell/ get visa's

debbie

kazozz Sep 1st 2008 10:30 am

Originally Posted by debbieuk (Post 6736639)

debbie

hi debbie

We fly 15 October, counting down:thumbsup:
for car hire you could try www.m2000car.com.au
goodluck with your move, where you heading for?

kazozz Sep 1st 2008 10:37 am

debbie

hi debbie
sorry thought you ment car rental!! blonde! we found tons of accomadation @ www.stays.com.au
karen:rofl:

mad.chef Sep 1st 2008 1:11 pm

A good one for holiday rentals is www.holidaylettings.co.uk and also www.aussiemove.com.

I know people that have stayed in accommodation from www.pomsinperth.com and they are all great.

Any more info needed just shout.

Sarah

debbieuk Sep 1st 2008 1:56 pm

thanks you two.

i am going to rockingham -hopefully waikiki

i have looked at those sites and have emailed loads so just waitingfor a reply.

i will check out the car rental site coz i will need one:thumbsup:

debbie

flo&mags Sep 1st 2008 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by debbieuk (Post 6737435)
thanks you two.

i am going to rockingham -hopefully waikiki

i have looked at those sites and have emailed loads so just waitingfor a reply.

i will check out the car rental site coz i will need one:thumbsup:

debbie

Have just PM'd you as I am in Waikiki.
Flo.X

TinaandChris Sep 1st 2008 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6735535)
thanks for the info. i dont think we will have a really good idea about what we will be able to afford til we actually get out there and get jobs. we were planning to rent for at least 6 months bfore deciding if we were going to stay or not first anyway.

We're in the same boat. Just waiting...Submitted in May 2008, did meds and pcc without having a Co, but heard visa sometimes goes straight to Grant???

This is a great site for us for car and house rentals so thanks to everyone on here, and really looking forward to meeting some of you in the near future!!
House is not selling and has been on the market for over 3 months, and doesn't look promising, but like most people the equity is all we have to go with. Like our holidays, not good savers!
have 2 daughters 13 and11, and OH is a chippie. Can't wait to start our new life. But do we hang on and have to sell the house??? How much do you guys think you need to take with you as a cushion???
Thanks everyone for reassuring posts to newbies

Tina
xx

nickallen1969 Sep 1st 2008 8:10 pm

debbie

Hi DebbieUK, hopefully also going out back end of October/ Beginning of November with Singapore Airlines, we're heading towards northern suburbs of Perth, We're also rotherham based, just wondered whereabouts in Rotherham you are, We're in Kimberworth. Got Visa grant letter last week, just waiting for house to sell then we're off.

Regards:thumbsup:

seat151 Sep 1st 2008 8:12 pm

If my brother decided that he is going to rent my house for a year, then we are looking at flying to Perth on the 4th November

the dooners Sep 1st 2008 8:25 pm

Hi everybody
Hopefully arriving in perth on the 7th Nov:D
flying with SIA on the 3rd to singapore and having 3 days holiday

the dooners