British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

DavidandAlex Apr 24th 2008 6:24 pm

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Thanks. Will definitely try that. As you can see we're pretty new to this so appreciate a steer in the right direction! Looking forward to getting know you all on this thread too. :)
Alex

mary1967 Apr 24th 2008 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by DavidandAlex (Post 6260891)
Thanks. Will definitely try that. As you can see we're pretty new to this so appreciate a steer in the right direction! Looking forward to getting know you all on this thread too. :)
Alex

You too!

tawkins1 Apr 24th 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by DavidandAlex (Post 6260891)
Alex

Hello & welcome to BE! :thumbsup:
Where are you looking to go in Perth?

The Clarkeys Apr 24th 2008 7:56 pm

Hi!
Another newbie I'm afraid! Love this forum!
We are a teacher and a plumber hoping to move to perth at some point this year! visa submitted in Feb and just had meds done.

We've been researching perth and originally thought Mandurah and now thinking Secret Harbour (OH saw it on one of these Down Under progs).

How do you decide:confused: Daughter is nearly 4 and should be starting school here in sept but out there she wouldn't start pre-school til next feb.
Anybody recommend any schools?

DavidandAlex Apr 24th 2008 8:16 pm

Hi. Thanks for all your welcomes! :)
As for where we're planning to stay we're really not sure whereabouts at the moment. We're trying to research the hospitals to find out which are the best ones to work at with us both being nurses, so it may be a case of deciding where to live based on that. Also we need to consider the cost of renting/living in different areas of Perth, as well as where there are nice, family friendly areas - any advice gratefully received ;)
Alex

sme Apr 25th 2008 3:06 am

Originally Posted by DavidandAlex (Post 6260624)
Hi all,

Can we join you? I'm Alex, 28, a part time palliative care nurse, and hubby David is also 28 and a full time intensive care nurse. We have a 15 month old little boy called Theo and are in the beginning stages of planning our journey to Perth. We are hoping to come in January 2009, but have no idea where exactly in Perth at the moment! Hoping to get some idea from you guys! ;) Our initial plan is to come for a year, rent our house out in the UK and see what happens - we're bit too scared to take the plunge completely! :unsure:

Have just applied to the nursing board of western australia for both our nursing registrations and are in contact with a nursing agency who will hopefully help find hubby a job. Haven't started applying for visa yet as not sure what our best option is - we're a bit worried having read some other posts about nurses being stuck in jobs they hate because their employer sponsored their visa. Would be interested to hear any advice/thoughts/experiences of other nurses on here about this?

Alex

Work is really easy to come by as a nurse (I'm one). So if you can wait for your visa application to take 5/6 months as a skilled independent one to come thru' rather than 3/4 months with an employer sponsered one (and you have the necessary points of course). I personally would go with the independent one - the freedom to pick and choose work and the security of being in Oz under your own steam for me is worth its weight ! Some people have been stung by employers (not all).

mick69 Apr 25th 2008 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6261418)
Hi!
Another newbie I'm afraid! Love this forum!
We are a teacher and a plumber hoping to move to perth at some point this year! visa submitted in Feb and just had meds done.

We've been researching perth and originally thought Mandurah and now thinking Secret Harbour (OH saw it on one of these Down Under progs).

How do you decide:confused: Daughter is nearly 4 and should be starting school here in sept but out there she wouldn't start pre-school til next feb.
Anybody recommend any schools?

It depends on which part of Secret Harbour you live in to which school they will go to. There are two (that I am aware of) Comet Bay and Secret Harbour Primary School. Both my girls went to Secret Harbour. My youngest was also 4 and went to kindy there. Personally it was a lovely school and they both enjoyed going. All the parents were friendly I wouldn't hesitate to recommend here.

Lynne :)

tawkins1 Apr 25th 2008 3:54 pm

Does anyone have any info on secondary schools in the Gosnells, Southern River area? We have sorted a primary school out but are struggling on a high school. Any info please :confused:

The Clarkeys Apr 27th 2008 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by mick69 (Post 6264512)
It depends on which part of Secret Harbour you live in to which school they will go to. There are two (that I am aware of) Comet Bay and Secret Harbour Primary School. Both my girls went to Secret Harbour. My youngest was also 4 and went to kindy there. Personally it was a lovely school and they both enjoyed going. All the parents were friendly I wouldn't hesitate to recommend here.

Lynne :)

Thanks Lynne. We found Secret Harbour Primary on the internet, don't remember seeing Comet Bay.

Our problem is that Niamh is due to start Reception in September but if/when we get over there she wouldn't even start pre-school (Kindy?) until the following Feb. Worried she will totally confused especially as she is really looking forward to starting BIG school!

allankate Apr 28th 2008 7:56 am

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6273408)
Thanks Lynne. We found Secret Harbour Primary on the internet, don't remember seeing Comet Bay.

Our problem is that Niamh is due to start Reception in September but if/when we get over there she wouldn't even start pre-school (Kindy?) until the following Feb. Worried she will totally confused especially as she is really looking forward to starting BIG school!

I know what you mean, it's going to be confusing for them I'm sure. My youngest George would start reception over here in Sept and can start pre-primary in February. Luckily we haven't mentioned 'school' to him much so as long as we go over before Sept he'll be OK.

My concern is my daughter who is in year 1 in the (UK) and moves to years 3 in September. Under Oz scheme she starts Primary in February, I'm not sure how that will work, she can already read books like Charlie and the Chocolate factory and the likes yet in Oz she'll be going back to doing her ABC's :ohmy:

Nothing we can do about it until we get over there and sit down with the schools though.

The other thing is that over in the UK our two are two school years apart and over in Oz they'll be 1 year apart.

My wife was hoping that we could get our kids into Secret Harbour primary however our new build house is one street away from the SH primary catchment area. So looks like Comet Bay primary for us.

See you over there later this year ;)

Allan

tawkins1 Apr 28th 2008 12:29 pm

A friend of ours went out 3 years ago when their daughter would have then been in reception. As she was well advanced for the reception class they put her up to the next year so she could carry on her education without having to re do a year. This now means that she will leave school a year earlier tho. Not sure if all schools do this but thought i'd mention it.:confused:
As for being in the catchment area for a school, if they have places they may allow your child to enrol in that school. We have found this when looking for High schools in the Southern River area. A High school in Thornie has said they have places at the moment & that if we wanted to enrol our eldest there would be no problem. :thumbsup:

The Clarkeys Apr 29th 2008 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6275586)
I know what you mean, it's going to be confusing for them I'm sure. My youngest George would start reception over here in Sept and can start pre-primary in February. Luckily we haven't mentioned 'school' to him much so as long as we go over before Sept he'll be OK.

My concern is my daughter who is in year 1 in the (UK) and moves to years 3 in September. Under Oz scheme she starts Primary in February, I'm not sure how that will work, she can already read books like Charlie and the Chocolate factory and the likes yet in Oz she'll be going back to doing her ABC's :ohmy:

Nothing we can do about it until we get over there and sit down with the schools though.

The other thing is that over in the UK our two are two school years apart and over in Oz they'll be 1 year apart.

My wife was hoping that we could get our kids into Secret Harbour primary however our new build house is one street away from the SH primary catchment area. So looks like Comet Bay primary for us.

See you over there later this year ;)

Allan

When are you heading off there? your visa came back fairly quick! Already getting impatient and ours was only submitted at beginning of feb!

allankate Apr 30th 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6276695)
A friend of ours went out 3 years ago when their daughter would have then been in reception. As she was well advanced for the reception class they put her up to the next year so she could carry on her education without having to re do a year. This now means that she will leave school a year earlier tho. Not sure if all schools do this but thought i'd mention it.:confused:
As for being in the catchment area for a school, if they have places they may allow your child to enrol in that school. We have found this when looking for High schools in the Southern River area. A High school in Thornie has said they have places at the moment & that if we wanted to enrol our eldest there would be no problem. :thumbsup:

Thanks for that info, hopefully they will consider her based on her ability rather than her age. It's catch 22 though really as we'd rather her not be mixing with other who are much older than her, as they want to grow up quick enough as it is. Ho hum I'm sure we'll find a happy medium.;)

Cheers

Allan

allankate Apr 30th 2008 9:04 am

Originally Posted by The Clarkeys (Post 6284676)
When are you heading off there? your visa came back fairly quick! Already getting impatient and ours was only submitted at beginning of feb!

Yep we were really really lucky with the visa, applied beginning of Sept and got the visa early January!

House been on the market now for 3 months with 18 viewings, but so far no sniff of an offer, so realistically we won't be over until we can shift it (may have to fly over and validate if too slow). I think it's time for a change of estate agent and a drop in price to generate some more interest.

Good luck with your visa, hopefully the process will start speeding up again for you now that a lot of July / August apps have been granted recently.

Allan

SalSa Apr 30th 2008 9:31 am

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6286928)
Thanks for that info, hopefully they will consider her based on her ability rather than her age. It's catch 22 though really as we'd rather her not be mixing with other who are much older than her, as they want to grow up quick enough as it is. Ho hum I'm sure we'll find a happy medium.;)

Cheers

Allan

I shouldn't worry about it too much :) There are loads of kids from the UK at Comet Bay so the teachers are well used to it :lol: My daughter goes there and she's skipped a year and gone into year 4

Did you manage to get some updated pics of your house??

allankate May 1st 2008 8:14 am

Originally Posted by SalSa (Post 6287056)
I shouldn't worry about it too much :) There are loads of kids from the UK at Comet Bay so the teachers are well used to it :lol: My daughter goes there and she's skipped a year and gone into year 4

Did you manage to get some updated pics of your house??

Yep we did get some very kind offers of pics of our house build. Only at foundations (slab) at the moment and a recent drive by shows no change. But with the house market here as bad as it is, a slow build is suiting me at the moment.

Here are the pics http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php

So are your kids at Comet Bay primary? How are you / they finding it? Were they ever at SH primary before the split?

Cheers

Allan

SalSa May 1st 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6291358)
Yep we did get some very kind offers of pics of our house build. Only at foundations (slab) at the moment and a recent drive by shows no change. But with the house market here as bad as it is, a slow build is suiting me at the moment.

So are your kids at Comet Bay primary? How are you / they finding it? Were they ever at SH primary before the split?

Cheers

Allan

My daughter's at Comet Bay Primary, in year 4. We moved here a week after it opened and we've been more than happy with it, although it has expanded a lot!
I've got a 14 year in year 10 at Comet Bay College and a 15 year old in year 11 at Safety Bay Football Academy. The jury is still out on Comet Bay College :lol: but i have no probs with Safety Bay Senior High :thumbup:
Going to have a nosey at your pics :D

tawkins1 May 1st 2008 8:34 am

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6286950)
Yep we were really really lucky with the visa, applied beginning of Sept and got the visa early January!

House been on the market now for 3 months with 18 viewings, but so far no sniff of an offer, so realistically we won't be over until we can shift it (may have to fly over and validate if too slow). I think it's time for a change of estate agent and a drop in price to generate some more interest.

Good luck with your visa, hopefully the process will start speeding up again for you now that a lot of July / August apps have been granted recently.

Allan

We have been on the market for 3 months & only 1 viewer :eek:
We asked another EA to come & value our house to make sure it wasn't overpriced & they said that it was on for the right amount & couldn't understand why we hadn't had any viewers :confused:
We changed EA's yesterday, dropped asking price by another 5k (20K in total now!) :curse: so hopefully we should get some viewers soon.
Good luck & hope you get a buyer soon. :thumbsup:

SalSa May 1st 2008 9:37 am

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6291358)

Cheers

Allan

Forgot to ask....which builder are you using?

lolylew May 1st 2008 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6291417)
We have been on the market for 3 months & only 1 viewer
e asked another EA to come & value our house to make sure it wasn't overpriced & they said that it was on for the right amount & couldn't understand why we hadn't had any viewers :confused:
We changed EA's yesterday, dropped asking price by another 5k (20K in total now!) :curse: so hopefully we should get some viewers soon.
Good luck & hope you get a buyer soon. :thumbsup:

oh, know how you feel, crap isnt it :frown:
OH did say today he heard on TV this morning that the worst of the credit crunch is over :unsure:, hope hes right :thumbup:

we've had 3 viewers in about the same time, feel sure if we'd put it on last year it would have sold quickly, but didnt want to risk it incase we didnt get a visa. would of hated to be homless & visaless :eek:.

going to psychic evening next week, wonder if i'll find anything out :eek::thumbup:

lisa
:thumbsup:

ukdarren22 May 1st 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by lolylew (Post 6294079)
oh, know how you feel, crap isnt it :frown:
OH did say today he heard on TV this morning that the worst of the credit crunch is over :unsure:, hope hes right :thumbup:

we've had 3 viewers in about the same time, feel sure if we'd put it on last year it would have sold quickly, but didnt want to risk it incase we didnt get a visa. would of hated to be homless & visaless :eek:.

going to psychic evening next week, wonder if i'll find anything out :eek::thumbup:

lisa
:thumbsup:

Hi all, We are arriving on June 5th, in Secret Harbour, we have a house for 4 weeks there, Im a 28 year old, with a 24 year old wife, two kids, one girl who will be 1, and a boy who will be nearly 3

allankate May 2nd 2008 7:50 am

Originally Posted by SalSa (Post 6291637)
Forgot to ask....which builder are you using?

Hi we went with Content Living, they seemed to offer a lot of house for the money, but as you usually get what you pay for we'll see in due course if the right decision was made :p. Had no problems with them so far, so fingers crossed.

Good luck to all those waiting on a sale:thumbsup:

Allan

tawkins1 May 2nd 2008 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6296952)
Hi we went with Content Living, they seemed to offer a lot of house for the money, but as you usually get what you pay for we'll see in due course if the right decision was made :p. Had no problems with them so far, so fingers crossed.

Good luck to all those waiting on a sale:thumbsup:

Allan

How long do they estimate for completing your build? My sister waited 2 years! :eek: for hers to be built, but it was up in the hills in Roleystone. Not sure if that makes a difference?
Some say it can be built in 27 weeks! Does anyone know what the norm is :confused:

allankate May 2nd 2008 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6297865)
How long do they estimate for completing your build? My sister waited 2 years! :eek: for hers to be built, but it was up in the hills in Roleystone. Not sure if that makes a difference?
Some say it can be built in 27 weeks! Does anyone know what the norm is :confused:

They say 12 months from when you instruct them, we did that in Sept07 and we delayed the prestart a bit because they said they needed us there in person. However we got a friend to do it for us, and I think this delayed us about 2 months. They say that it should be ready Oct/Novemebr time, but of course we shall see:sneaky:

It seems to be about 6 months planning approval / design etc followed by 6 months to build. Our just took longer for the first part as we had a mortgage hold up (start of the credit crunch!) and also with some docs having to be sent via post it would take 2 weeks from them to us and back again. So far we've been pretty much on track :thumbsup:

Allan

lee28 May 5th 2008 12:33 pm

Can we get put on the list as having arrived in januaury and are staying in bertram if thats possible please.

Thanks, Lee.:)

allankate May 5th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by lee28 (Post 6308598)
Can we get put on the list as having arrived in januaury and are staying in bertram if thats possible please.

Thanks, Lee.:)

Hi just goto www.beupdate.co.uk/perth.php and you can add yourself:)

Allan

mand-jim May 5th 2008 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5668023)
Hi Lorraine,

I have added you to the list, can we have more details please?

Sarah

HERE IS THE LIST:

HI Sarah,

Can you add us to the list 2 please? Applied for visa in March 08, looking to be in Oz before the year is out....I'm 26, James is 27, job info is in my signature. Ta :)

allankate May 5th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by mand-jim (Post 6309344)
HI Sarah,

Can you add us to the list 2 please? Applied for visa in March 08, looking to be in Oz before the year is out....I'm 26, James is 27, job info is in my signature. Ta :)

As per my post above you should add yourself using the link www.beupdate.co.uk/perth.php ;)

Allan

armstrong7 May 5th 2008 11:13 pm

hello ys and girls ,

me and my misuss wil be hitting the sunny beachs of mulalloo in july am gonna be working for a guy up in bibra lake (am a joiner gong on 457 sponnsered visa),we cant wait everyday here feels like a year.

see you all in the mulalloo tavern

dgmack80 Jul 5th 2008 12:12 am

Hey all

Got my visa through today! :thumbsup: Can't believe how quickly it came through, only submitted it online 6th June!! Booked my flights for the 22nd July and will be arriving on the 23rd. Can't wait to get out there. Going to be working in Armadale/Kelmscott Hospital but haven't decided where i'm going to stay yet. Any suggestions?! :confused:

terrington-evans Jul 5th 2008 1:08 am

Originally Posted by allankate (Post 6298281)
They say 12 months from when you instruct them, we did that in Sept07 and we delayed the prestart a bit because they said they needed us there in person. However we got a friend to do it for us, and I think this delayed us about 2 months. They say that it should be ready Oct/Novemebr time, but of course we shall see:sneaky:

It seems to be about 6 months planning approval / design etc followed by 6 months to build. Our just took longer for the first part as we had a mortgage hold up (start of the credit crunch!) and also with some docs having to be sent via post it would take 2 weeks from them to us and back again. So far we've been pretty much on track :thumbsup:

Allan

We arrive 28th August last year, View the show houses in Settlershills, Baldivis the first weekend, Put a deposit on a 3/2 on a brand new development the next week end. There was a 6 week delay with buying the plot as the Titles had not been finalised. Prestart the week before Xmas and awith xmas it delayed final plans and building licenses a few weeks. We went slab down in Feb, First brick went down Easter week, We went to Lock up last week and as our package includes all fittings inside (Tiles, carpets, Kitchen etc) it will take slightly longer till we get the keys but we are expecting to move in within the next 8-12 weeks.

With the Interest rates rises and such they say the building of new houses has slowed (All the more trades available to work on ours) but as our house is one of 12 in a development that are being build by the same builder (Content Living) that may be the reason that ours has gone up pretty quickly.

Mark

tawkins1 Jul 7th 2008 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by dgmack80 (Post 6536014)
Hey all

Got my visa through today! :thumbsup: Can't believe how quickly it came through, only submitted it online 6th June!! Booked my flights for the 22nd July and will be arriving on the 23rd. Can't wait to get out there. Going to be working in Armadale/Kelmscott Hospital but haven't decided where i'm going to stay yet. Any suggestions?! :confused:

If your wanting to live near to were you work the Kelmscott hills are nice. Heard a few dodgy things about Armadale but i'm not there yet so not an expert. Visited last October & it looked OKish !!

debbieuk Jul 18th 2008 1:17 pm

hi

i have just added our details we are
debbie - nurse
glenn -fitter (will be temporay house husband)
josh -13
shelby -11

looking at waikiki/cooloongup as working in the RKDG

aiming for 17th sept but no later than end sept/early oct

handing notice in at work very soon woohoo!!

debbie

dave_wong Jul 19th 2008 12:20 am

Hi. We are building with HomebuyerCentre in Brighton. Bought a piece of Australia at The Green. Plans are finalised and building will start end Aug. We are looking to move into the house next June ...latest!!

Ozzy7 Jul 20th 2008 1:22 pm

Hi everyone we moved out to WA on May 3rd 2008 were currently renting in Shoalwater - Rockingham but looking to move to eirther Secret Harbour or Mandurah, we have 2 teeneage boys age 13 & 15 if anyone fancy a meet up feel free to contact me.:)

birdies Jul 20th 2008 10:47 pm

Hi Guys

I am new to this site been in perth a year and now feel i really need to make some good friends. Please could you add me to the list and maybe we could all get together and have a pommy party.

Thanks Liz

mad.chef Jul 21st 2008 6:44 am

Hi all,

We have not been on this thread for a while as time just seems to run away from us. We have been here for just under 10 months and we absolutely love it here. I can honestly say it is the best thing we have ever done.

The kids have settled into their new schools and new life straight away and love everything about the place, especially my 4 year old. They have made loads of new friends. We also have made a lot of new friends and seem to be going out to alot of parties etc. We love where we live and have all settled in as though we have always lived here.

If anyone wants to update themselves or add themsleves to the list here is the link:

http://www.beupdate.co.uk/perthnewupdate.php

All the best to those still waiting for their visa, it is so worth the wait in the end.

Sarah.

midgetjan Jul 21st 2008 7:08 am

Originally Posted by birdies (Post 6592505)
Hi Guys

I am new to this site been in perth a year and now feel i really need to make some good friends. Please could you add me to the list and maybe we could all get together and have a pommy party.

Thanks Liz

We've also been here a year and are not settling as we should be. We are finding it difficult to get reasonable jobs.

Where have you settled Liz? Do you have any kids?

We are here with our 17 year old son.

Our daughters are back in the UK.

birdies Jul 21st 2008 8:21 am

hi there we are currently living in Iluka which is ok but finding new friends and a decent job for me is so difficult.

I have 2 kids and they have settled into their school i dont like schools as i find too much bitchyness between people so i stand well away or dont go at all or even keep myself to myself and just say hi.

Also i do find perth very quiet as i am used to being around horses all day long but in this heat i dont think so too many flies especially summer.

I do feel i will not stay here i will prob go over east as much more to see and do and the prob relocate back to my home town London!!!!!! but who knows what the next year or 2 brings i may even grow to like it better

where have you settled????:p:p:p:p:p

midgetjan Jul 21st 2008 10:58 am

We are in Maida Vale, which is not too far from the airport.

My hubby has a cousin in Iluka though.