Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

seemed a very honest question - and well done you on taking the breadth of responses with such dignity.

There are various support networks out there which you can access but nothing official from the state would seem to be the 'ideal' response!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
Apart from the decision to go, everything else is pretty much a question mark for us now. Thanks for your willingness to help. Can I PM you with a few things I need to know?
Sure, although unless they're very personal why not ask them on the forum as I'm sure you'll get far more good info that way than I can provide.

We were all in this position at one time.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
If someone told me to 'get off my arse' I would think that was very rude. Maybe it is just the way it was worded but all the poor guy did was ask a question.
Was just trying to say that not everyone was rude, thats all.......
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nothing rude about me just telling them that DIAC don't provide it - as far as I know SA is the only State that does have anything like that, I've certainly never seen it mentioned for anywhere else. beyond that its down to relocation agents and/or forums like this......
Pollyana, I do appreciate your direct response and did not find it to be rude in any way.... just for the record.

Well, I have to agree a few responses from BE members sometimes tend to be a bit 'too candid'. But I am a grown up kid (40 to be precise!) and expect an open web forum to reflect differences of viewpoints. Ultimately, it is my choice to be here and I'm here because I find it useful!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
seemed a very honest question - and well done you on taking the breadth of responses with such dignity.

There are various support networks out there which you can access but nothing official from the state would seem to be the 'ideal' response!
Thanks bezzanbob! If possible, could you perhaps name a few 'support networks' so I could start doing some research on them?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Sure, although unless they're very personal why not ask them on the forum as I'm sure you'll get far more good info that way than I can provide.

We were all in this position at one time.
Thanks Seasider and Wendy! Well, I guess I will put up a couple of more threads with questions!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
Thanks bezzanbob! If possible, could you perhaps name a few 'support networks' so I could start doing some research on them?
Here's a few. They should be able to give you some information and/or provide you with some kind of support when you first arrive.

http://www.anglicare.org.au/our-serv...fugee-services

http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/migra...ewarrivals.asp

http://www.nsw.gov.au/

http://getskilled.sydneycommunitycol...illed-migrants
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

If someone told me to 'get off my arse' I would think that was very rude. Maybe it is just the way it was worded but all the poor guy did was ask a question.
Not rude at all saying get off your ass!!!!! Every1 else has migrated off their own backs. He obviously has access to the Internet. Google has lot's of answers!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Here's a few. They should be able to give you some information and/or provide you with some kind of support when you first arrive.

http://www.anglicare.org.au/our-serv...fugee-services

http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/migra...ewarrivals.asp

http://www.nsw.gov.au/

http://getskilled.sydneycommunitycol...illed-migrants
Thanks once again for the links. I have found the Skilled Migrant Mentoring Program quite interesting. I am contacting them now to find out if they have anything on offer in my area of work.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kimandken
Not rude at all saying get off your ass!!!!! Every1 else has migrated off their own backs. He obviously has access to the Internet. Google has lot's of answers!!!!
Internet research is what OP is doing by posting a thread on the forum. Smart people do ask for help, only the dumbs walk it alone. If one could do it all by 'google', there would actually be no need for a forum like BE!

Anyways, personally, I found your response to be a bit offensive and lacking substance.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caliburn
Internet research is what OP is doing by posting a thread on the forum. Smart people do ask for help, only the dumbs walk it alone. If one could do it all by 'google', there would actually be no need for a forum like BE!

Anyways, personally, I found your response to be a bit offensive and lacking substance.
Sorry if i hit a soft spot
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:52 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimandken
Sorry if i hit a soft spot
No, you were just downright rude, and overuse of exclamation marks doesn't make it any less so.

A lot of us are invisible expats coming from a culture/society very similar to the one we have come or are coming to, and even we post "stupid" questions. (Will my curtains fit? Shall I bring my lightbulbs? Will there be snakes in my 14th floor apartment in inner city Sydney?)

For others it's a very different story and even more daunting, and a good time for the rest of us to pay a little back for all the help we got from other BE posters when we were moving.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

No, you were just downright rude, and overuse of exclamation marks doesn't make it any less so.

A lot of us are invisible expats coming from a culture/society very similar to the one we have come or are coming to, and even we post "stupid" questions. (Will my curtains fit? Shall I bring my lightbulbs? Will there be snakes in my 14th floor apartment in inner city Sydney?)

For others it's a very different story and even more daunting, and a good time for the rest of us to pay a little back for all the help we got from other BE posters when we were moving.
Oh cumon, get a grip. Blab bla bla
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:05 pm
Auntie Fa

Whatever.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whatever.
About time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.