Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

I was wondering if there is any kind of support available from any agencies to help new migrants settle smoothly in the state of NSW? Things that come to my mind include airport pick-up, temporary accommodation, finding rental, initial job search etc.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settlement support for new migrants in NSW

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
I was wondering if there is any kind of support available from any agencies to help new migrants settle smoothly in the state of NSW? Things that come to my mind include airport pick-up, temporary accommodation, finding rental, initial job search etc.
There may be relocation agents who can supply this service for a fee, but DIAC don't provide it.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There may be relocation agents who can supply this service for a fee, but DIAC don't provide it.
Thanks Pollyana!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think Australia would consider that they have done us a favour not the other way around. So no new migrants are not picked up at the airport, found accommodation and jobs etc. You are on your own.

Good luck with your move.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimandken will become famous soon enoughkimandken will become famous soon enough

Get off your ass and do it yourself. Why on earth should someone do this for you. You obviously have access to the Internet, so start searching before you come over!!!!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Come and live in South Australia, we have a meet and greet service provided by the SA government here.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:47 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Well what a warm welcome

Hi DhakaBoy, as PPs have suggested there is no govt body doing this, although you can pay somebody to help you out (we had some help from a relo agent, paid for by company).

However I do know that quite a few nationality-based migrant groups/associations exist. A quick google turned up this, might have some useful links.

http://www.bangla-sydney.com/

Welcome to Sydney I see you've been asking a few questions; I can't help with family/child related stuff but will try to help with other questions.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Come and live in South Australia, we have a meet and greet service provided by the SA government here.
Yes they do. We were picked up by a lovely retired couple who drove us to our holiday home, took us to pick up groceries and then came back the next day to take us to buy a car. I still have the bag of pamphlets for everything from how to apply for Medicare to migrant language classes to job agencies.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Wendy! It's a good program that SA has. I am sponsored by the NSW state, so can't go anywhere else.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimandken
Get off your ass and do it yourself. Why on earth should someone do this for you. You obviously have access to the Internet, so start searching before you come over!!!!
I note your point. Thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Seasider
Well what a warm welcome

Hi DhakaBoy, as PPs have suggested there is no govt body doing this, although you can pay somebody to help you out (we had some help from a relo agent, paid for by company).

However I do know that quite a few nationality-based migrant groups/associations exist. A quick google turned up this, might have some useful links.

http://www.bangla-sydney.com/

Welcome to Sydney I see you've been asking a few questions; I can't help with family/child related stuff but will try to help with other questions.
Apart from the decision to go, everything else is pretty much a question mark for us now. Thanks for your willingness to help. Can I PM you with a few things I need to know?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I think Australia would consider that they have done us a favour not the other way around. So no new migrants are not picked up at the airport, found accommodation and jobs etc. You are on your own.

Good luck with your move.
Thanks Bermudashorts.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Wendy! It's a good program that SA has. I am sponsored by the NSW state, so can't go anywhere else.
Well hopefully you'll find more than one person in NSW that is willing to help you out with your questions. Can believe people can be so rude!

If you have any general Australia questions, just ask and I'll see if I can assist
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well hopefully you'll find more than one person in NSW that is willing to help you out with your questions. Can believe people can be so rude!

If you have any general Australia questions, just ask and I'll see if I can assist
Nothing rude about me just telling them that DIAC don't provide it - as far as I know SA is the only State that does have anything like that, I've certainly never seen it mentioned for anywhere else. beyond that its down to relocation agents and/or forums like this......
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Nothing rude about me just telling them that DIAC don't provide it - as far as I know SA is the only State that does have anything like that, I've certainly never seen it mentioned for anywhere else. beyond that its down to relocation agents and/or forums like this......
If someone told me to 'get off my arse' I would think that was very rude. Maybe it is just the way it was worded but all the poor guy did was ask a question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.