Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up a Private practice

Setting up a Private practice

Old May 6th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Setting up a Private practice

Hi all, has anyone one moved to Oz, specifically Sydney and set up a private practice from scratch? Im thinking of doing this as a socal worker/counsellor, but any therapists advice,psych, physio, massage therapist etc would be gratefully received.

Is it harder than the UK? any pitfalls tax, insurance etc (though i should get insurance through AASW) adice on marketing internet....

Any thoughts? and thanks....
Old May 6th 2009, 11:58 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a Private practice

Indemnity insurance is a must.

The cover provided by professional organisations is not always adequate.

You will need to ensure that you are recognised by medicare otherwise you will be competing against others who are......if you are not recognised then the clients will have to pay you the whole fee whereas if you are recognised then medicare will cover a big part of the fee.

G
Old May 7th 2009, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, I intend to apply for the medicare accreditation asap.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

Ruskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant futureRuskee has a brilliant future

Medicare is one of the most impenetrably opaque and bureaucratic organizations on the planet! I have been trying to negotiate private practice entitlements as a doctor for some time. They seem to place some restrictions on people qualified outside of Australia but my situation may not generalise to you as a social worker/counsellor. It will be possible but be prepared for much paperwork.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, I went through all that with the original visa application. The AASW ok'd me fior the visa, and they are responsible for accreditaion for social workers, so I may be being over optimistic...but hopefully I will pass! and hopefully it wont cost too much!