Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up an Australian Co.

Setting up an Australian Co.

Old Jul 8th 2004, 7:44 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Setting up an Australian Co.

Greetings
We are heading to oz soon, I hope, as I am being sponsored by an Australian employer.. Under this visa, my wife is entitled to work for anyone but I have to work with this employer.
My wife wishes to set up an Australian Company, she would be the only employee and basically working as a consultant helping some European companies establish trading partners in Australia.
Anyone have any idea how we can set this Company up before we get there so we can hit the ground running?
TIA

Andrew
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:34 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Setting up an Australian Co.

Originally posted by andrew63
Greetings
We are heading to oz soon, I hope, as I am being sponsored by an Australian employer.. Under this visa, my wife is entitled to work for anyone but I have to work with this employer.
My wife wishes to set up an Australian Company, she would be the only employee and basically working as a consultant helping some European companies establish trading partners in Australia.
Anyone have any idea how we can set this Company up before we get there so we can hit the ground running?
TIA

Andrew
Setting up a company is quick work - buy a shelf company and change name, directors etc. Leave it until you're on the ground?

Maintaining a company involves reporting to ASIC (~$200 / yr) and to ATO (tax return).
Old Jul 8th 2004, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Setting up your own company out here is easy. Head to any solicitor and they will explain it to you and sort it out.

It cost around $1300 to set up as a proper business where you have an ACN and ABN ( Aus business number). These register you with the Aussie business register and Tax office. You choose a trading name, if it is available it is yours and then you are up and running.

Many businesses also set up a trust account which benefits you tax wise.

ACIS - Australian Company Incorporation Services is one of the companies they are available online.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:28 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Still need help

Thanks for the comments so far but can anyone else help me?
I would like to set up an oz co while I am still here. I have no problem purchasing an existing co. as tis is purely a way of channeling the funds we make.
Thanks

Andrew
Old Jul 11th 2004, 12:37 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Still need help

I would like to set up an oz co while I am still here. I have no problem purchasing an existing co. as tis is purely a way of channeling the funds we make.
Thanks

Andrew
Not making any recommendations - lots of shelf company marketeers around - sure they'll take your dough nice and easy:

"shelf companies"
Old Jul 11th 2004, 1:02 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Still need help

You will need an Aussie resident director when forming a new company, so you will need a nominee to act for you ... it might be worth having a chat with my Australian CA colleague John Griffiths via john - at - gmga - dot - com - dot - au, or +61 (0)7 3833 3999.

Best regards.

Thanks

Andrew
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Just a thought why do you want to set up a company when it will only be your wife? Why not trade as a Sole Trader. You could set up the consultancy whilst you are in UK. You can also use telephone numbers which can be directed to any country in the world so you can start now and when you move you can have the phones redirected to your Australian number and then change them. If at a later stage and your accountant advises it set it up as a Ltd company. But whilst she is solo and until you get the income flowing in it may be better for you for you in tax instances. If you want to be a company couldn't you set up an offshore company for the time being. Personally I would start off as a sole trader trading as........until you get the ball rolling. You can do quite a bit of the groundwork whilst you are still in Europe to get the contacts blah blah blah...

Just a different thought.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mercedes
Just a thought why do you want to set up a company when it will only be your wife? Why not trade as a Sole Trader. You could set up the consultancy whilst you are in UK. You can also use telephone numbers which can be directed to any country in the world so you can start now and when you move you can have the phones redirected to your Australian number and then change them. If at a later stage and your accountant advises it set it up as a Ltd company. But whilst she is solo and until you get the income flowing in it may be better for you for you in tax instances. If you want to be a company couldn't you set up an offshore company for the time being. Personally I would start off as a sole trader trading as........until you get the ball rolling. You can do quite a bit of the groundwork whilst you are still in Europe to get the contacts blah blah blah...

Just a different thought.
Hi Merc

Do you have the names of companies which provide that international call forwarding feature? I have a company here selling software and I am wondering how I am going to be able to support the product when I am in OZ - this solution would be good for a while.

Cheers
Dave
Old Jul 12th 2004, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by darkless
Hi Merc

Do you have the names of companies which provide that international call forwarding feature? I have a company here selling software and I am wondering how I am going to be able to support the product when I am in OZ - this solution would be good for a while.

Cheers
Dave
One I used to use was Hitoori.com and they were quite good for a time. We now use
http://www.callagenix.com/

We use an 0875 number it goes to my Uk collegues first and then to my Spanish landline second, you can also have it directed to mobiles.

The only negative is they give too much damn information on their website which can be a bit confusing. But the sales guys have been really helpful.

But I have found it useful as often I am overseas and no one usually knows where I actually am and I can change my contact number as long as I have internet connection to divert it. Hitoori was also good and if I was in another country I used to get a local simm card and get my calls diverted to it. It also has voicemail and you can get faxes sent so again you can look at them via the web. Saves you having a standalone and great if you are travelling. Also cheaper way than using mobiles.

If you don't like either do a google search for unified messaging and some others should come up. But these are the ones that I know and have used.

Hope it helps.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mercedes
One I used to use was Hitoori.com and they were quite good for a time. We now use
http://www.callagenix.com/

We use an 0875 number it goes to my Uk collegues first and then to my Spanish landline second, you can also have it directed to mobiles.

The only negative is they give too much damn information on their website which can be a bit confusing. But the sales guys have been really helpful.

But I have found it useful as often I am overseas and no one usually knows where I actually am and I can change my contact number as long as I have internet connection to divert it. Hitoori was also good and if I was in another country I used to get a local simm card and get my calls diverted to it. It also has voicemail and you can get faxes sent so again you can look at them via the web. Saves you having a standalone and great if you are travelling. Also cheaper way than using mobiles.

If you don't like either do a google search for unified messaging and some others should come up. But these are the ones that I know and have used.

Hope it helps.
Cheers Merc,

Have a had a look and like what I see. I shall look into setting an account up in the next few weeks

Dave