Reload this Page >

Seriously considering Australia

Seriously considering Australia

Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default Seriously considering Australia

Hi

New to this forum as previously DH and I were considering a move to NZ, but due to a lot of research, talking to people and sitting down and working out if that would be the sort of lifestyle we wanted for us and the kids we have decided against it. However, after talking to someone yesterday they asked if we had considered Australia which to be honest we hadn't until that point.

So, now after some research today - not much but some - it's looking like a good option.

So we are now looking into how to apply for jobs - he's talking to friends who have already made the move from here to the job he would apply for, and me, well I'm hoping some of you nice bods out there will be able to help me! I start University here in the UK in September to do my BSc in Nursing. It's a 3 year course and I'll come out with a degree in Adult Nursing. I'm hoping to get at least 6-12 months experience when I qualify (DH has 3.5 years left doing the job he is doing which he has to finish due to pension committments etc). So any nurses out there would 6-12 months be sufficient experience to at least make a start on my career in Australia?

We will also be bring with us our two girls - by then one will be nearly 17 and one will be nearly 7 years old. What is life like in Australia for that age?

I have no idea where we are looking at but I would imagine our first port of call would be Canberra due to the job he's hoping to get. I doubt we will be looking at buying a house straight away as we should be able to get accommodiation provided with DH's job. After that we could end up in a number of places in Australia so who knows.

Any info on life in Canberra would be great - dippy me isn't even sure where Canberra is is it in New South Wales, although I do know it's the capital of Australia!!! Can someone also please tell me what the weather is like both in the summer and the winter?

I do have lots of questions on Australia but I'm sure I will get to them, but this is a good starting point.

Many thanks.

Tracy
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:59 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously considering Australia

Hello Tracey!

Canberra is the Capital of the federation of Australian states and territories, and is in the ACT - Australian Capital Territory - which is a bit carved out of NSW. I understand that, on federation, they couldn't stop fighting whether Melbourne or Sydney was to be the capital, so they built a new one just south of lake George.

Canberra is only an hour or so away from the southern NSW beaches, and being at a high elevation has distinct seasons. It can be hot in summer - though low humidity - and pretty damn cold in winter. The snowfields are only half an hour away.

Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Seriously considering Australia

thanks for that info - WOW snow how exciting my DH will be thrilled as he likes a bit of snow every now and then

Tracy