Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On a serious note - skin cancer

On a serious note - skin cancer

Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:02 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On a serious note - skin cancer

Originally Posted by busterboy
I have come home to work, I am sorry to tell you all that my very lovely, extremely ballsy and beautiful friend died in the night surrounded by her family. Lovely pal, 45, gone too soon.
I'm really sorry to hear that BB - that's terrible news.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:05 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My doctor has said vitamin D absorption can be done via the nape of the neck.

And he also said that there is no such thing as a healthy light tan.
Also through the gut. Do not place ultra-violet lights down your throat due to the risk of deadly internal erythema and electrocution especially if the electrical plug looks like it has been changed.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BC. I have aways had a lot of time for you as a poster.

I was sorry to hear that your mum died in this way and I hope the topic is not bringing discomfort to you. I want people to talk about this and be aware that this not always something that can be sorted out under the surgeon's knife.

I have come home to work, I am sorry to tell you all that my very lovely, extremely ballsy and beautiful friend died in the night surrounded by her family. Lovely pal, 45, gone too soon.
That is awful news and my thoughts and prayers are with you and her family xx
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:08 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
My doctor has said vitamin D absorption can be done via the nape of the neck.

And he also said that there is no such thing as a healthy light tan.
My reading of the science regarding vitamin D and bone health is that those people who are most at risk of Vit D deficiency through lack of sunlight are in fact dark skinned people - fair skinned people it is suggested have no or very little need to consciously seek out sun exposure as they are efficient in producing vit D through normal activities. By starting the 'tanning process' it seems to me they'll actually inhibit their ability to produce vitamin D.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:17 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
My reading of the science regarding vitamin D and bone health is that those people who are most at risk of Vit D deficiency through lack of sunlight are in fact dark skinned people - fair skinned people it is suggested have no or very little need to consciously seek out sun exposure as they are efficient in producing vit D through normal activities. By starting the 'tanning process' it seems to me they'll actually inhibit their ability to produce vitamin D.
Unless the whities live in Minsk...I think we mostly get enough sunlight just in daily activity.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:22 am
Just Joined

wannabwarma is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Sorry to hear about your friend mate. It is a sad tale and unfortunately not an unusual one. It just brings it home when it's someone we know.

My thoughts are with you and your friend

I second this, and hope that everyone who reads it - remembers the warning, and I hope someone can benefit from the awful situation your friends in

Wannabe x
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:25 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
That is awful news and my thoughts and prayers are with you and her family xx
Hi NB. She was my friend and I really was fond of her. She had many long term special people in her life who will be feeling her loss much more keenly.

I know it sounds sanctimonious but if I could get a sticky placed on this subject I would be really happy. I remember when our lovely WA poster lost her husband in the riptide that many people benefited from that knowledge that was given out on what to be aware of, I have myself been able to warn people of 'rips' that I would not have been able to do beforehand.

If the incredibly quick passing of my friend to this awful and quite probably avoidable disease makes just one person put a hat and a top on, I will feel it worthwhile.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NB. She was my friend and I really was fond of her. She had many long term special people in her life who will be feeling her loss much more keenly.

I know it sounds sanctimonious but if I could get a sticky placed on this subject I would be really happy. I remember when our lovely WA poster lost her husband in the riptide that many people benefited from that knowledge that was given out on what to be aware of, I have myself been able to warn people of 'rips' that I would not have been able to do beforehand.

If the incredibly quick passing of my friend to this awful and quite probably avoidable disease makes just one person put a hat and a top on, I will feel it worthwhile.
Well said BB, and top thread under awful circumstances.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:35 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

Vitamin D deficiency is widespead and on the increase

Highest rates in South Asia and the Middle East

The main risk factors for low vitamin D levels include older age, female sex, lower latitudes, winter season, darker skin pigmentation, less sunlight exposure, dietary habits, and the absence of vitamin D fortification in common foods. Further factors include the increase in urbanization, where people tend to live and work indoors, as well as cultural practices that tend towards sun avoidance and the wearing of traditional clothing that covers the skin. The severity of the problem in Middle East and South Asia arises from the combination of several of these risk factors.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere condolences BB & a big hug!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:01 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Hello BC. I have aways had a lot of time for you as a poster.

I was sorry to hear that your mum died in this way and I hope the topic is not bringing discomfort to you. I want people to talk about this and be aware that this not always something that can be sorted out under the surgeon's knife.

Sorry to hear this BB, thank you for your post and it will be a constant reminder for me and my family when we move to Australia.

Regards,
Cooler
Old Jul 13th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Snap a guy who worked with my husband is also dying from melanoma its right through his body as well. It unfortunately spreads very quickly however there are people who survive it.

Cats and dogs get it as well so if you have a white cat like me sunscreen on the ears in summer and the nose. Also dogs with pink noses and white ears.

Our family have never been beach goers so no bronzying in this house.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, so sorry to hear your sad news.

RIP BB's mate
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Please also remember that skin damage by the sun is cumulative over your lifetime. 'Recovering' from sunburn or losing your tan do not undo the damage already done. Every light tan adds to the damage.

For those new to strong sun (UV ratings to 15 in summer compared to 5 in a UK summer) remember that the UV penetrates clothing. A flimsy shirt or top will not protect you. I wear close woven safari-type shirts with long sleeves for working in the garden and still get a light tan on my back and arms without sun screen.

I too have lost colleagues to melanoma - one was a typical blond Norwegian, a young father, who lived in Norway.

Please don't underestimate the risks and think you know better than accepted advice.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by lesleys
Please also remember that skin damage by the sun is cumulative over your lifetime. 'Recovering' from sunburn or losing your tan do not undo the damage already done. Every light tan adds to the damage.

For those new to strong sun (UV ratings to 15 in summer compared to 5 in a UK summer) remember that the UV penetrates clothing. A flimsy shirt or top will not protect you. I wear close woven safari-type shirts with long sleeves for working in the garden and still get a light tan on my back and arms without sun screen.

I too have lost colleagues to melanoma - one was a typical blond Norwegian, a young father, who lived in Norway.

Please don't underestimate the risks and think you know better than accepted advice.
Please also remember that skin damage by the change in time is cumulative over your lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.