Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On a serious note - skin cancer

On a serious note - skin cancer

Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:07 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default On a serious note - skin cancer

Hello Peeps

Just thought even though it is the depths of winter that a sobering tale may be useful as we look forward to the summer months.

Being a typical Jockette, I have burned myself to a cinder on every holiday I've ever had. Two weeks of sun and not a second to lose, oh and throw some beer in with that too.

Strangely since moving to Australia, I have never been in the sun less. I think it was all the partial ears that I saw when I arrived. (I don't notice people who have had facial skin cancers now).

Anyway the point to this story is a good friend and colleague went for a routine skin cancer exam in March. They found a malignant melanoma. On a second exam they found that in addition to this small, small cluster of brown cells were secondary cancers in the brain, lungs and liver. My friend has entered palliative care this weekend and is unlikely to live through this week.

I am so sad to be writing this story but I want to really shout at people to take care, our pastey Northern European skin is not suited to being exposed to the harsh Australian sun and children are especially vulnerable. My friend was incredibly aware of skin cancer and went at the first signs but it was already spreading throughout her body, into organs.

Most skin cancers are not this serious but if you are in doubt see a doctor immediately for a referral.

I am sorry if this sounds so preachy but I devasted at the pointless and rapid decline of such a beautiful, fiesty, cheeky woman. I wanted to make you aware that this does happen each and every day to people just like us.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:13 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: On a serious note - skin cancer

Gently does it. A little sun every day to keep a light tan is better than none or too much.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Gently does it. A little sun every day to keep a light tan is better than none or too much.
FFS......any tan is skin damage
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:17 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Hello Peeps

Just thought even though it is the depths of winter that a sobering tale may be useful as we look forward to the summer months.

Being a typical Jockette, I have burned myself to a cinder on every holiday I've ever had. Two weeks of sun and not a second to lose, oh and throw some beer in with that too.

Strangely since moving to Australia, I have never been in the sun less. I think it was all the partial ears that I saw when I arrived. (I don't notice people who have had facial skin cancers now).

Anyway the point to this story is a good friend and colleague went for a routine skin cancer exam in March. They found a malignant melanoma. On a second exam they found that in addition to this small, small cluster of brown cells were secondary cancers in the brain, lungs and liver. My friend has entered palliative care this weekend and is unlikely to live through this week.

I am so sad to be writing this story but I want to really shout at people to take care, our pastey Northern European skin is not suited to being exposed to the harsh Australian sun and children are especially vulnerable. My friend was incredibly aware of skin cancer and went at the first signs but it was already spreading throughout her body, into organs.

Most skin cancers are not this serious but if you are in doubt see a doctor immediately for a referral.

I am sorry if this sounds so preachy but I devasted at the pointless and rapid decline of such a beautiful, fiesty, cheeky woman. I wanted to make you aware that this does happen each and every day to people just like us.
I can second that and you dont even need sun exposure to be at risk either. I was told I of Celtic/Danish stock and an exceptionally high risk and have to have twice yearly checks and yearly mole mapping.

I have had 3 in total removed (moles), all at the cell changes stage but not melanoma, although a tendancy that they could have gone that way.

My next check is in August.

Now Mr PP has had a brown flat mole - very pale appear on his head and is bringing his appointment forward to this week. He is from N. Africa and in the summer has olive coloured skin.

Noone but noone should assume because of their skin type they will be safe. It is also total bollocks that 'you burn before you go brown' and that 'brown skin is good for you' If you suntan then you damage your skin.

And noone should assume that because they have never been in the sun that they are immune from this terrible disease.

I am so nervous for Mr PP, I know in your 40s, new moles can appear and I am hoping this one is OK and fingers crossed for my scan next month.

This is truly dreadfully sad news about your friend and it should make everyone think that not protecting your skin or lying on beach trying to get brown is taking a huge risk that isnt worth taking.

My thoughts are with her Busterboy.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:20 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Not the case according to my skin cancer doctor.

We need about 6 mins (thereabouts) exposure a day - this is from the nape of the neck.

The best protection is covering up.

A tan is not healthy, a small amount of sun exposure via the nape of the neck (something to do with vitamin D) is the way to go.

But a tan is not recommended - tanned skin is damaged skin.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:26 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks PP and I hope Mr PP turns out to be fine.

Many many moles are fine and many skin cancers can be treated. I just wanted to give a bit of a 'lets be careful out there kids' announcement as I for one did not realise just how quickly this terirble sort of cancer can kill.

For the record, my doctor, a tiny Jewish guy, used to say to me 'Remember Celts don't go in the sun'.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I totally agree, Im pale and freckly. Now Im older I realise Im better off staying pale and cover up. As a teen I was bit jealous of my friends with tans.
Yes, I get stares as my legs glow in the dark but hey Id rather this than cancer.

Today I was talking about getting more sun protection clothing, glasses etc for us all ready for summer. I always make sure the kids are covered up and my toddler is yet to get a hint of a tan.

Ive also recently read that people who tan easily are now more at risk. As these people are more lax than those like me who know we can burn.

Gems
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:29 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It's called a response. The whiter you are the longer the response takes. White is a response to the absence of light. White allows light under the skin. Black stops light. White, black and tan are adaptations to allow the most beneficial amount of light to penetrate.

Recommendations for Sunlight Exposure

The recommended time of exposure to sunlight in Australia is approximately 10-15 minutes on at least 4-6 occasions each week, with the face, arms and hands exposed.

by exposing just the hands, face and arms, which is equivalent to 15% body surface area (i.e. 1/3 of MED) for 10-15 minutes, will result in production of around 1000 IU of vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) within the body.

http://www.bonehealthforlife.org.au/content/view/92/

I don't much like exposing my self during winter so I take 1,000 IU of vitamin D per day every day year round.

Last edited by WillBlack; Jul 12th 2009 at 8:40 am.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by busterboy
Thanks PP and I hope Mr PP turns out to be fine.

Many many moles are fine and many skin cancers can be treated. I just wanted to give a bit of a 'lets be careful out there kids' announcement as I for one did not realise just how quickly this terirble sort of cancer can kill.

For the record, my doctor, a tiny Jewish guy, used to say to me 'Remember Celts don't go in the sun'.
I had to laugh, I was lying on the couch in bra and knickers and the doctor said to me 'Well, you dont belong in Australia do you?' and then said 'You are of either Danish or Celtic stock'

Its funny as my asthma was awful in the UK - wherever I lived - London, Devon and even when I went back to Yorkshire.

My asthma is good in Australia, yet I shouldnt be here due to my skin.

I am happy to be pale if truth be known, I have never seen so many women looking so old before their time.

Your poor friend, Malignant melanoma is so aggressive.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:31 am
A rather curious boy

It's called a response. The whiter you are the longer the response takes. White is a response to the absence of light. White allows light under the skin. Black stops light. White, black and tan are adaptations to allow the most beneficial amount of light to penetrate.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5219752.stm

Dark skin also affected.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:38 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your friend mate. It is a sad tale and unfortunately not an unusual one. It just brings it home when it's someone we know.

My thoughts are with you and your friend
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:45 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

This message cant be plugged enough as far as Im concerned.
I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. A wonderful friend of mine succombed to a rare form of skin cancer, such a terrible waste.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:49 am

If anyone in Perth is looking for a good skin cancer doctor - pm me and I will give you his details.

He does the initial mole check and yearly mole mapping plus blood tests to check for vitamin D levels which tend to be low in those of us that cover up while we learn to strike a happy balance between our 6 minute sun dose (back of the neck) and covering up.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
But the body needs vitamin D which it can only get from the sun.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 9:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Deancm
But the body needs vitamin D which it can only get from the sun.
Can get vitamin D in tablet form and from food. Reason the Inuit can live in high latitudes is vitamin D produced by the action of sunlight on algae in sea water, the vitamin D being concentrated in the food chain.

OsteVit-D appears to be a good supplement. I'll not rely on it, wont wear a burka at any time of the year, I dislike being sunburned and like being about so a light tan it what I get and what need to prevent sunburn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.