Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

September 7, 2013

September 7, 2013

Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: September 7, 2013

Originally Posted by Zen10
Forcing someone to vote is forcing them to endorse a politician or party they might not want to. And people fought long hard for freedom of choice, including the choice not to vote.
I agree. True liberty is the freedom not to vote if you don't want to.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I agree. True liberty is the freedom not to vote if you don't want to.
you don't have to
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:50 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
you are not required to vote. they're not going to check if you wrote anything on the ballot before they cross your name off the list. you're only required to show up.
I looked into this. It's a myth that you only have to attend and not vote. The legislation says that you have literally to vote and put your paper in the ballot box, but because it is a secret ballot (an Australian invention, apparently), there is no way for them to determine who doesn't vote or who spoils their vote. I suppose the choice is ours. I still don't support compulsory voting because a low turnout is a way for a government to get the message that the people feel there is no choice. Australian politicians can never get this message because there is always around 95% turnout.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:55 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into this. It's a myth that you only have to attend and not vote. The legislation says that you have literally to vote and put your paper in the ballot box, but because it is a secret ballot (an Australian invention, apparently), there is no way for them to determine who doesn't vote or who spoils their vote. I suppose the choice is ours. I still don't support compulsory voting because a low turnout is a way for a government to get the message that the people feel there is no choice. Australian politicians can never get this message because there is always around 95% turnout.
Draw a big knob on your paper as per post #23 and you've voted
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:57 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

If everyone that was not happy submitted a spoilt paper, surely they would get the message the same as low turn out?
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:58 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Draw a big knob on your paper as per post #23 and you've voted
A vote for "none of the above" To be honest, I'm sure at the time I'll just end up voting for someone.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 6:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
If everyone that was not happy submitted a spoilt paper, surely they would get the message the same as low turn out?
I know they collect them, but I've not seen any stats on it, just that turnout is 95%. How many have a graphic facsimile of make genitalia drawn on them seems not to be covered by the official stats for some reason...
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:01 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, low turn out is an expression of voter apathy, which should be considered a reflection on the policies of the parties. By removing this mode of feedback, you are essentially passing a proxy endorsement of all party policies.

I also think that the preferencing system makes a mockery of your vote here as well. You have to be VERY careful, else your vote will head off and represent some party that you wouldn't have dreamed of voting for.

S
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

What does that mean? That you dispute men died for freedom of choice? Remember, freedom not to vote is an important part of the democratic process, which is why only a tiny handful of countries force citizens to do it, wrongly, in my view. Not voting is a statement, in a way, a vote in and of itself. It;s like any other form of peaceful protest. Would you ban people from protesting as well?
It means I think your action is a cop out.

You are entitled to not vote, just pay the fine and keep your mouth shut about how the country is run because you had your chance to be involved and you chose not to.

Edited to add - as there were a few more posts - informal voting is also a cop out and downright silly as far as I am concerned. You took the time to turn up, have your name checked off and put a paper in the box then at least do something constructive with it!

Last edited by jackieh23; Aug 8th 2013 at 7:25 am.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
you don't have to
Well I do, because I'll get a fine if I don't.

PS I always vote and will even if it wasn't compulsory. I was thinking of standing this time, not because I want to be a politician but to me it's better to stand than to vote for people you don't want to vote for. Then I saw that I'd have to pay a load of money to do it so I didn't bother.

Last edited by renth; Aug 8th 2013 at 7:29 am.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:26 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by jackieh23
It means I think your action is a cop out.
You are entitled to not vote, just pay the fine and keep your mouth shut about how the country is run because you had your chance to be involved and you chose not to.
You're not entitled to not vote. It's like saying I'm entitled to punch someone I don't like in the face if I just pay the fine afterwards
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:28 am
Banned

You're not entitled to not vote. It's like saying I'm entitled to punch someone I don't like in the face if I just pay the fine afterwards
Nicely put.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:29 am
Proudly Deplorable

Well I do, because I'll get a fine if I don't.
draw a knob as discussed - with hairy balls
Old Aug 8th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

You are correct - entitled is the wrong word.

Although to use renth's analogy, I sometimes feel that smacking someone around the head would make me feel better...

I'm voting, I would whether I had to or not as I'm interested in what happens to this country. I am delusional enough to think that maybe, maybe my vote can/will make a difference. I hope that whoever gets in IS the best of a woeful bunch...
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

bikeframed will become famous soon enough

Do they stop advertising government positions during an election? Admittedly I haven't looked in a few months but this is the first time I have gone to the Geoscience Australia website and there has been no current vacancies: http://www.ga.gov.au/jobs/current-vacancies.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.