Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:57 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Sensible Australian Election Thread

Well whatever has happened and as crap a govt as Labor has been for the last 3 years, the last few weeks have confirmed exactly what I always thought; that a coalition govt would have been much worse. How the Coalition supporters on this site can still be spurting out the same liberal propaganda is beyond me.

Sure, you can accuse Labor of not being completely up front with the people regarding their pre-election agreement with the Greens, but that is nothing compared to how the LNP has completely conned the Australian people during their campaign. Regardless of how much out their election promises were in the costings, the fact remains that they deliberately set out to conceal these figures from Treasury so that the people wouldn't see their incompetence before polling day. You would think they would stop there, but then Wilkie comes out saying that Hobart Hospital was offered $1 billion for upgrades no questions asked. Yet the Liberals were the ones trying to pin "irresponsible spending" on Labor during the election.

Liberal voters, you have been punked!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:13 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't we all.
Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:37 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Well whatever has happened and as crap a govt as Labor has been for the last 3 years, the last few weeks have confirmed exactly what I always thought; that a coalition govt would have been much worse. How the Coalition supporters on this site can still be spurting out the same liberal propaganda is beyond me.

Sure, you can accuse Labor of not being completely up front with the people regarding their pre-election agreement with the Greens, but that is nothing compared to how the LNP has completely conned the Australian people during their campaign. Regardless of how much out their election promises were in the costings, the fact remains that they deliberately set out to conceal these figures from Treasury so that the people wouldn't see their incompetence before polling day. You would think they would stop there, but then Wilkie comes out saying that Hobart Hospital was offered $1 billion for upgrades no questions asked. Yet the Liberals were the ones trying to pin "irresponsible spending" on Labor during the election.

Its worse than that, Abbott was willing to give $1,000,000,000 to Wilkie for a $300m project, [great example of fiscal responsibility Mr Abbott, I can see that you will spend my tax dollars responsibly] that 1,000,000,000 which apparently is still a commitment was not / is not in the coalition costings so we need to take an extra 1bn dollars off of the dodgy numbers.

Plus if Labor used the same accounting trick with regards to the contingency fund reduction as the coalition then even on Abbotts figures the Labor surplus is greater than the coalitions, The accounting trick adds $2.5bn dollars of imaginary savings.

If Abbott does form government it will be a day that the coalition will live to regret, he will trash any reputation they had for economic management.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The whole fiasco is..... embarrassing. Just embarrassing.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:46 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

It's interesting that dyed in blue like to call the independents, "nutters"; but the hospital funding thing has completely turned that around.

Wilkie's move is also good in that it reduces the influence of the other 3 independents. Only 2 are required by Labour so their "power" to demand is now limited somewhat. On the other hand there's no limit to what Tony will offer them.

I'm with BS. Regardless of what's gone before, I reckon Tony will screw things up worse than Julia.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:47 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
The whole fiasco is..... embarrassing. Just embarrassing.
I'm curious as to why people feel embarrassed?
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:49 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Its worse than that, Abbott was willing to give $1,000,000,000 to Wilkie for a $300m project
He probably thought that figure was only $1m

Plus if Labor used the same accounting trick with regards to the contingency fund reduction as the coalition then even on Abbotts figures the Labor surplus is greater than the coalitions, The accounting trick adds $2.5bn dollars of imaginary savings.

If Abbott does form government it will be a day that the coalition will live to regret, he will trash any reputation they had for economic management.
I think, either way the Libs are now screwed. If they form government then I don't think it will last long before going back to the polls. If they form opposition, then they will likely oppose everything out of pure principle and we will be back at the polls again in the same timeframe. Either way, this opposition wouldn't get another chance by the Australian Public as Labor now have their next election campaign all written up thanks to the last two weeks. The Libs wouldn't have any new dirt to throw at Labor, while Labor have a heap of real nasty factual dirt to throw at the Libs.

Thanks for the entertainment you have provided us Mr Abbott, your deception very nearly paid off. I still reckon more people would have voted for a Lib govt with Turnbull at the healm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:51 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Wilkie's move is also good in that it reduces the influence of the other 3 independents. Only 2 are required by Labour so their "power" to demand is now limited somewhat. On the other hand there's no limit to what Tony will offer them.
I can see Katter staying with the Libs (not Nats), but Oakeshott and Windsor will back Labor
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:51 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious as to why people feel embarrassed?
In my own case, because I took out citizenship to a country with such a dysfunctional electoral system.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:17 am
I'm Old Gregg!

I can see Katter staying with the Libs (not Nats), but Oakeshott and Windsor will back Labor
I could well be wrong there with Katter

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1225913623637

Mr Katter said he was a good friend of John Howard's, but he attacked the Coalition's record of infrastructure investment during the Howard years and paid credit to former prime minister Kevin Rudd and Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese for their programs.

“In 12 years they never built a single line of infrastructure of anything, these people have actually done it,” he said.

“On the contrary the first item (on the list) is the national energy grid and if there has been one great achievement by this government, actually two great achievements, it's the broadband and the national energy grid.”
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wol
In my own case, because I took out citizenship to a country with such a dysfunctional electoral system.
What's dysfunctional about it? It seems to be coping quite well with what is the Perfect Storm of elections. Anyone would think that it's gone tits up or that it would be handled better in another liberal democracy.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:41 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

I could well be wrong there with Katter
Yes you could, Katter and Rudd are friends, while PM Rudd provided the money to rebuild Katters local hospital and visited the constiuency twice, which people thought was odd at the time as labor had little to gain from this.

Rudd twists Katter's arm to back Labor

Queensland independent Bob Katter has had his arm twisted "pretty firmly" by former prime minister Kevin Rudd to support Labor.

Mr Katter revealed Mr Rudd had tried to persuade him to back a government led by Julia Gillard, who toppled Mr Rudd in a dramatic coup in June that has been blamed for costing Labor seats in Queensland.

Mr Katter refused to rule out supporting Labor, and praised Mr Rudd's leadership - saying he had never indulged in the sort of vote-buying that former Coalition prime minister John Howard had indulged in to sandbag marginal electorates.
Source
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:44 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Yes you could, Katter and Rudd are friends, while PM Rudd provided the money to rebuild Katters local hospital and visited the constiuency twice, which people thought was odd at the time as labor had little to gain from this.

Source
There's Rudd's diplomacy skills paying off for Labor
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:46 am
Account Closed

There's Rudd's diplomacy skills paying off for Labor
Although he probably wants to give Julia a kicking he's obviously woken up to the reality of Tony taking power.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:47 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Although he probably wants to give Julia a kicking he's obviously woken up to the reality of Tony taking power.
He'll get his Foreign Minister role that he wants. If for some freak reason he doesn't he will be some sort of foreign envoy. Either way, he'll be in his element.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.