Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sending extra baggage to Oz

Sending extra baggage to Oz

Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Sending extra baggage to Oz

Has anyone had experience of sending a small amount of stuff (mainly personal possessions and clothes) over to Australia? My son is going over for a year to travel and spend time with relatives and is thinking of getting us to send on some more of his stuff as he is obviously limited to the usual 20 kg baggage allowance. Wondering whether it would be cheaper to just post this or approach one of the removal firms?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending extra baggage to Oz

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Has anyone had experience of sending a small amount of stuff (mainly personal possessions and clothes) over to Australia? My son is going over for a year to travel and spend time with relatives and is thinking of getting us to send on some more of his stuff as he is obviously limited to the usual 20 kg baggage allowance. Wondering whether it would be cheaper to just post this or approach one of the removal firms?
There is a company called Excess Baggage that will air or sea ship your goods (as many or few boxes as you need). We are thinking of using them. Seem to have a good reputation on here.

My Dad lives in Hong Kong and his friends have posted stuff via UPS and DHL to themselves. Guess it's whichever quote is better.....

HTH
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

hanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the roughhanwilt is a jewel in the rough

I have heard that sending things as unaccompanied baggage is one way of getting things there. I had a discussion with an Australian who said that we should do that as we weren't going to take furniture. I am not sure of the costs though so I guess it was what was wanted.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itigo
There is a company called Excess Baggage that will air or sea ship your goods (as many or few boxes as you need). We are thinking of using them. Seem to have a good reputation on here.

My Dad lives in Hong Kong and his friends have posted stuff via UPS and DHL to themselves. Guess it's whichever quote is better.....

HTH
I've sent boxes with them, quick and relatively cheap
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

We're using Freedom Shipping. Around £30 for a tea chest sized box from the UK to OZ up to 40KGs (I think) per box.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

brandyslad is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no personal experience but have heard of people using Voovit.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by GillyG
We're using Freedom Shipping. Around £30 for a tea chest sized box from the UK to OZ up to 40KGs (I think) per box.
How long did they take to ship them?
Old Jan 18th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Thanks everyone for your input. I will look into the various options.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 3:52 am
Just Joined

maggi01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Thanks everyone for your input. I will look into the various options.
We used a company called Intercargo who advertised 7-10 days. Been here 14 days come Wednesday and not a peep from them. Tried on the net to locate the cases and it just says "order received". According to UK they arrived in Melbourne last week......
I think OH is now looking for a little compensation as a lot of our paperwork is in said luggage.
Still, depending on when it gets here, a lot quicker than our removals, and only £350.