Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

selling a property while in aus

selling a property while in aus

Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

leby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default selling a property while in aus

can anybody tell me please if i can sell my property (shop )while i live in australia ,do i have to travel back to england to sign all the legal docs or can it be done from here .can i sign here and get then wittnessed by an austrlian solictor and sent back to england HELP
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling a property while in aus

Originally Posted by leby
can anybody tell me please if i can sell my property (shop )while i live in australia ,do i have to travel back to england to sign all the legal docs or can it be done from here .can i sign here and get then wittnessed by an austrlian solictor and sent back to england HELP
Do you have someone in the UK that you trust. If so you can give them power of attorney to deal with it for you.

Failing that you can always instruct an online conveyancer to act for you and do it all by post/e-mail.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i've just sold my flat in edinburgh.... but i had done as wendy suggested and turned power of attorney over to my dad before i left so he signed everything on my behalf.

sorry can't be of more help!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 4:03 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We're going to do this - if the house hasn't sold by September we're going to leave anyway. We'll appoint someone power of attorney (probably the FIL) and have him sign everything when it does sell.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:44 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't got a relative/friend to whom you can give "Power of Attorney" you can give it to the solicitor. Then the solicitor can sign everything for you. That's what we'll do if the house doesn't sell.

Gina
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:47 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by leby
I don't envy you, its stressfull enough selling a property anyway, let alone when you are letting someone else deal with it....
Old Apr 26th 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Just doing this myself at the moment. Its fine to do it by post or fax. My solicitor emailed the contract over, we printed it signed it and posted it back because of having to be originals. Its not that much of a problem in that respect because there is very little you need to do for just a sale. Fittings list and contract basically. Just get your solicitor to send it immediately on excepted offer. This will mean you are super ready. The only issue we have is that it feels like your slightly out of control of the situation being so far away. Orgainse any documents you will need before hand such as guarantees and manuals and even leave them with the solicitor before you go or with a neighbour or if you are not letting it, in a kitchen drawer so the agents can get it.

Jo
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

leby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WendyC
Do you have someone in the UK that you trust. If so you can give them power of attorney to deal with it for you.

Failing that you can always instruct an online conveyancer to act for you and do it all by post/e-mail.
thanks for all your help on this matter i hope i can now sort it out in australia thanks again john